Development of sim skunk works LOCKHEED TF-FRF-104 G

You hit the point,
recall that Asobo did not implement AB until SU 7 (which is not yet investigated),
so i had to made a bunch of tricks to get the AB correctly, one of this is to use the upper boundary of the throttle setting, that’s why may be you see the ab entering before getting 100% rpm.
Is a dirt trick i know, next days will investigate further on the Asobo afterburner hoping to plug-in without not much pain in the ■■■ :grinning:
And yes in particular conditions, ie: altitude, GW yu had ti use low afterburner to maintain a decent AOA

3 Likes

Ok thank you for the clarification!

I’ve been waiting for this one to be available for purchase since it was announced. I was first put off a bit by the lack of Wss sounds, but have to admit, the sounds are so well done it doesn’t matter it is using the legacy sounds.

Being a VR user, it would be nice if the LadySetup was run from within the sim, especially since the current version of OpenXR crashes the sim when exiting VR in the sim.

Other than that, this one is definitely worth the purchase. The modelling and texturing is exquisite. Combined with the sounds and the start-up procedure, it’s awesome. Will be flying this one quite a bit.

I have noted a few bugs.

1. The main gear wheels do not rotate until the nose wheel touches down.
  2. The wheels sink into the ground on rotation and braking.

Yep, we know, i’m evaluating the possibility to make a sort of 3D kneeboard to be used as a configurator.
However i knew that using VR is still possible access to virtual desktop where you may want run ordinary executable.
It is still possible ? Is possible for all type of visor or just only on OCULUS RIFT-S like mine ?

2 Likes

I don’t think that is possible with OpenXR. I’m running a G2. Perhaps someone else may be able to chime it, but MSFS has the Enter/Exit VR button that must be mapped. otherwise you need to go into the menu and turn it on/off.

Problem solved!
Trick is, at least on my PC, to run the ladysetup.exe directly from the /data directory. I had created a shortcut and that does not work apparently. No idea why not but I have it working.
Ben

Great airplane, love it! But is it possible to do something about the windshield scratches? IMO there’s too many of them and besides they’re too lowres. Thanks! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Disappointed that they didn’t include any CF-104D liveries…:frowning:

I did a bunch of single seat CF-104 liveries for the VSN mod in DCS, once we get a paint kit I’ll do some D’s.

-jocko417

2 Likes

Agree, the effects are a bit overdone right now. If I found hand prints all over the canopy like we see in game the crew chief would have some explaining to do… :grimacing:

5 Likes

Agreed, we’ll complain to the crew Chefs and the canopies will be cleaned
/SSW

6 Likes

This is now up on Just Flight. I’m gonna buy it this afternoon. I watched Into The Blues review and it looks quite good although I hope wwise gets implemented. I’d also like to see a gunsight added as now I believe a proper reflex sight can be simulated after SU7 introduced proper collimation. Not a deal breaker for me if its not added but something that would just be nice.

I bought the zipper on Monday and it is really a wonderful plane. I worked on the real one in the 80th at the German Navy. My part was the damper, AP and some other stuff. Will the AP added to the plane in the future? All pilots were using it always. It was an early kind of fly by wire. The plane was controlled via mircoswitches in the grip.
thx
Rudy

3 Likes

Yes,I agree :smiley: Thextures are in a stage of reworking for a better and a clearer version. They will be available since next patch.

1 Like

Hi Rudy,
The TF does not have the autopilot. It was a system that was in the single seater only. We are trying to be more realistic as possible,especially with systems. Maybe we can think about adding a shortcut function to add the altitude hold,maybe as “hidden” option,just to let the long trips less stressing.

2 Likes

yes, you are right :blush:. I forgot it too long ago.

Can we get some attention to the engine? An f104 should be capable of maintaining 400 knots IAS at a 40° pitch upto 30k ft. As it is, this plane cant maintain positive acceleration beyond 25-30°, making zoom flights and high altitudes near impossible to achieve.

Hello,
may be you are more specific here, “mantain 40° pitch” means almost nothing.
Did you try to see if the airplane match the climb performances tables ?
In this thread we have reported test results of climb performances:

SSW TF-1014 G TEST FLIGHT- CLEAN, NO EXTERNAL STORES

TAKE OFF AND CLIMB, MAXIMUM THRUST
TIME FROM BRAKE RELEASE TO CLIMB SPEED (M 0.925)
OBTAINED FROM TEST FLIGHT : 46".4
OBTAINED FROM PERFORMANCES TABLE (page A3-4 of AFM): 49"
ERR:0.05

TIME/DISTANCE FROM CLIMB SPEED TO FL 300
OBTAINED FROM TEST FLIGHT : 2’11"/18 NM
OBTAINED FROM PERFORMANCES TABLE (page A3-10 of AFM): 1’52/16 NM
ERR:0.14/0.11

MAX THRUST SUPERSONIC ACCELERATION FL 350 (M 0.9 - 1.8)
OBTAINED FROM TEST FLIGHT : 3’31"
OBTAINED FROM PERFORMANCES TABLE (page A9-1 of AFM): 3’.00
ERR:0.17

mainly attained pitch angle depends how you make acceleration and climb.
The correct is to accelerate at 0.925 M then climb at 30-35° pitch, gradually decreasing until FL 300.
It “should maintain 40°” is just your opinion.
cheers
/SSW

3 Likes

It’ more than possible instead!

But of course you (we) have to do things they way they need to be done with the TF-104 G… and it will be really amazing!

Ther’s also the original manual in Docs folder… :wink:

1 Like

Absolutely love this aircraft. I’ve been flying on my HDR monitor and just tried a flight around Cold Lake AFB in vr on my valve index. I really like the flight model and everything about this F-104D. I can’t wait till joco417 gets some RCAF liveries painted when a paint kit is available. I believe the Starfighters livery included is actually ex RCAF tail number 12632 from Cold Lake. I find landing this aircraft in vr is such a fun experience. This is by far the best flight model so far in MSFS 2020.
Thanks Sim Skunkworks team for this amazing simulation.

6 Likes