Discussion: Patch Version 1.14.6.0

That’s it in a nutshell!

Obviously you are all over this thing…

Find the frame rate you like (I’d like to be able to get up to at least 30 some day) , “lock and load”, then adjust those graphics settings to levels that you can live with, while ensuring that your GPU and CPU can sustain that preferred FPS during 100% of your flight time.

For those of us who are primarily simmers, this is all actually kind of fun, I think!

If you have any doubts about me, I tried a “Landing Challenge” shortly after MSFS’s first release - once! I’ve never returned. Racking up points just doesn’t do it…

1 Like

If it helps…and I really haven’t been following, but what I have been doing in most of my flights around the globe is manual caching the area I’m going to cover. You can really push up your settings in a manual cached area. And the experience warrants the time to do it.

Same here.

I haven’t used any manual caching since the first Japan update several months ago. At that time, it didn’t seem to do much one way or the other for me. I do fly mostly around the Hawaiian Islands which are not very demanding - photogrammatically speaking.

When I want to test different settings, though, I usually dial in London City Airport and do a few circuits there. My experience has shown that if I have my system optimized for that highly demanding area, every place else that I like to fly will typically be VERY smooth.

I did read somewhere that one of the Asobo developers was seen to have his/her rolling cache set to 32GB, so I decided to try the same. Frankly, I have not observed that it has made a difference from the default 8GB. I have the hard drive space, so I’ve decided to keep it there for awhile.

Will report back how the manual cache works for me, after a few circuits at London City Airport.

Update:
Well, I gave the manual cache another try. Bottom-line, I am going to just stick with my 32GB rolling cache for now. (I have a 230Mbs Internet connection.)

I manually cached a large swath of terrain and buildings all around London City Airport. I immediately began to notice stutters that I didn’t remember from before. I thought possibly the rolling cache and manual cache might be conflicting so I turned off and deleted the rolling cache. There was no improvement. So, I went back to the rolling cache only.

Admittedly, London City is a challenge for most rendering systems today and my PC is extremely low-end, but with rolling cache and decent network bandwidth, I am still able to achieve a stutter free, “all right” flying experience there at 25FPS.

1 Like

Yeah the sim worked better for me before updates I dont have a high end computer don’t understand much about them. I only know I loved the sim when i first had it and it worked well on high settings. I find now the flight starts ok and after a short while the graphics seem to degenerate to blobs and blurs

You don’t need to manually cache the Hawaiian islands either. The manual cache only stores photogrammetry and the Hawaiian islands have no photogrammetry.
See also: List Of Photogrammetry cities/regions plus Japan and England, which were added later.

Don’t listen to people who don’t have the same system as you. .try it for yourself. Photogrammetry is not recognized and doesn’t care if it is in or out of manual cache. If it is going to make you stutter, shut it off in settings. And you can take that to the bank!!

If you dont know if stuttering exist, have a look and watch the latest community flyin from msfsofficial on Twitch from yesterday. Trust me, you all have never seen such enormous stuttering before. Especialy when flying upside down over the sea.

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for this! I’d never seen it before. After a quick review, it appears that most if not all of my favorite flying places are missing. I did notice an apparent hand-crafted Arizona Memorial popping up in Pearl Harbor, HI after one of the updates, but nothing else of any consequence.

So, I am going to turn off Photogrammetry for now and see how it goes…

1 Like

I am going to do just that. We’ll see how things progress. It sure would be nice to be able to fly smoothly at 30FPS!

Update:
I turned it off this morning and did some circuits at London City Airport in the C172 G1000. Definitely improved the smoothness of the flight at 25FPS, but of course at the expense of the ground detail. Something else strange is happening though, that I have seen intermittently before. Neither of the 2 Garmin instrument panels turn on. Very odd, and I am at a loss to explain!

Bottom-line, it seems like those of us with low-end PCs must settle for either decent FPS or realistic scenery. Can’t have both! I’m opting for the solid, non-wavering 25FPS and adjusting the graphics downwards to ensure it. Stutters are just completely unacceptable to me! (30FPS at London City is just unsustainable for my lowly system.)

Is the manual cache interface working for you correctly? When I try to cache any area the grid for defining caching tiles moves vs. the map in some parallax way, so I can’t define the area - anytime I pan, the grid moves Vs the map in the background. This is a bug introduced around November 2020.
Are you free of this bug?

1 Like

Yes panning left to right does not move the map. Panning up and down seems to move the tiles out of position. What I have been doing is utilizing their square removal tool. Lets say I define an area in MED out where I can see a good portion of the map. I use the square removal tool and remove 2 or 3 squares(lets say right where the the airport is). They always stay defined after removed and I keep dragging the grid back where it belongs lining up those special squares after I’ve added more grid. When I’m done, and just before I save, I make sure it is lined up correctly.

Are you sure that your initial position (or possibly the final position just before save?) of the grid is properly aligned with the map? I wonder how to verify this - delete rolling cache and fly without Internet connectivity to be sure that only manually cached data is used?

I’m afraid that the reason for the movement of the grid vs the map is the placement of the map at some angle, I have the impression that the map is compressed (distorted) north-south dimension shorter vs east-west. So we can’t be sure how the grid is aligned with the map when saving.

its just always worked…never had a problem…using it right now! :+1: :wink:
follow advice or not…not gonna argue…lol

How do you know if the sim is using data from the manual cache (and not streaming or using rolling cache)?
Anyway thanks for your hint, I will try it. I should see the difference with my slow 5 Mbps link.

Because its never as good outside the manual cache area for people with lower end systems :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

TIP…once you’re done flying that area, delete it. The more manual cache you save, the longer it takes going back in to make another,
And who wants to wait several minutes!

What resolution do you use low? med? high? Is med good enough for photogrammetry?

Photogrammetry was giving me major stuttering and disrupted my flights, whether it was in or outside manual cache. I have it shut off in settings. I am going to test it again today to see if it continues. I will report back later on. Regardless things on high in there still look better!

Manual cache (as you can check in the description of this option in the sim) caches:

• 3D photogrammetry data,
  • elevation map data,
  • vegetation mask.

Supposedly no terrain textures.
So is there much sense of caching manually if you have photogrammetry off?