Discussion + Poll: Sim Update 10 (1.27.21.0)

You shouldn’t be having issues then. It has to be something corrupted or a 3rd party mod causing your CTDs. I haven’t had a CTD in months (outside of FSUIPC causing some issues when I use it to connect to PACX)

1 Like

My world since the upgrade. At least the CTDs are down after starting all over again…

The winds now are out of all control. Take a flight over mountains in a light GA aircraft where the wind is over 20kts and the gusts will buffet you so hard it will overstress the airframe and bang, you dead. How did this model make its way out of beta? I’m now at the point of turning off real weather.

1 Like

We have very windy seasons now. Anything over 15 kts is not weather for small planes. Either plan the flight well or leave the plane on the ground. We did want “As real as it gets.” … Alternative > Real weather off or open weather maps and choose quieter areas to fly.

6 Likes

Have you ever flown a real light Airplane ??

12 Likes

It is good to know that MSFS is working as designed. IRL mountain flying in light GA aircraft is very dangerous. Many light aircraft don’t have the power or aren’t pressurized to fly over mountains. Flying around mountains is dangerous due to the updrafts and downdrafts often encountered. Also, there aren’t weather reporting stations on mountain peaks. The winds at lower altitude airports are not usable in-flight. Many FBOs won’t rent an aircraft to a GA pilot if they are doing any mountain flying unless they’ve had specific mountain flying training. Now you know why!

15 Likes

Not the news most of us were hoping for I guess:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/501521/new-driver-for-msfs-2020/

3 Likes

This sounds very realistic for mountain flying in a GA plane.

Edit: the FAA has a publication about mountain flying for GA pilots. It has this to say about winds:

Strong winds can cause some of the most dangerous conditions you’ll have to contend with in the mountains. To minimize the chance of encountering dangerous turbulence, mountain flying should not be attempted if the winds aloft forecast at mountain top levels are greater than 25 knots. Above this level, potentially dangerous turbulence, as well as very strong up and down drafts are likely.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/tips_on_mountain_flying.pdf

25 Likes

Whatever they did, i am back to where i wanted to be in the first place. Stutters are ALMOST totally gone, 2K 40 FPS in the densest of scenarios with TLOD 350 and everything else maxed out.
Now keep those 4090s coming.

Have a great weekend.

1 Like

It’s still your CPU. That 3090 ti isn’t getting maxed out(nor is my 3090). Hold those horses on the 4K cards.

2 Likes

yeah i know, but little else to buy, four months ago…
point being: i´m extremely happy the way it finally (until next update) is :smile:

1 Like

For sure. Those of us with top-end cards are finally getting what we paid for in the sim. I’m happy with things now too.

Fly safe!!!

4 Likes

Yeah, but I think the model we’ve got is too aggressive just now. It is a model of course so difficult to show how true to real life it is…. I’ve posted elsewhere on some of the issues with doing this accurately and highlighted the reasons why it would be easy to implement a model that over emphasises gusts - hopefully it can be tuned and improved. An increase in difficulty doesn’t necessarily mean the sim is more real - tin fact that’s a really bad metric to use when assessing meteorological models

If that’s the case I’ll just stick with DX11. Thanks for the heads-up.New GPU is on my list but I’ll hold off until the reviews have dropped.

You could also reduce realism.
Hate to break the news to you but that’s how it is in real life.

6 Likes

Having a few flights got some thoughts:

• DX12 started to be playable, not as fluent as DX11, but it feels really improved,
  • I would like the new FPS limit slider, if I could enter my preferred value or have more granularity. I have set 33% right now, which is 54-55 FPS on my 165Hz monitor… almost 60, almost superb;),
  • overall performance seems better,
  • I had occasional CTDs only during game loading and this have not changed,
  • ATIS reports are often wrong about the pressure - I usually get completely different pressure from the tower,
  • as with each update, something has got improved, something broken;)
2 Likes

I have an AMD 6700XT and this problems still there with dx12 using old and new drivers:

Cloud texture shows vertical lines AMD DX12

• Old Driver: 31.0.12015.1008 (25/7/2022)
  • New Driver: 31.0.12019.9007 (19/8/2022)
1 Like

Personally I like the wind effect now, before was too unrealistic and smooth.
In real life, even with an airbus you can feel the wind effect and turbulence of course. Before the SU10 update everything was quite flat! Flying is beautiful not only because we love planes but also because we love the element where we fly into, the air!

I like the situation now which puts more difficulty and risk to everything!

8 Likes

I fly over flat as board NJ and the wind oscillation is ridiculous. It’s got to cost FPS in VR to shake the entire image like that. No way a 2.5 ton aircraft shakes like it’s made of balsa wood.

2 Likes

It’s so weird each of us has different results due to our different HW configuration.
Me, for the first time, I have a DX12 smoothness which is incredible, I love it! From the other side, DX11 produces micro stuttering always, even with the SU10.