Discussion + Poll: Sim Update V (1.18.13.0)

That’s exactly what I did. I hit PAUSE, hit the CLOSE X on MSFS 2020, shut down my PC, rebooted ~6 hours later and when I restarted MSFS it offered me a suitably reduced download size. The Content Manager updates went smoothly, too. I had something like 70 packages to update, having the Premium Deluxe version of the sim.

CTD when i try to launch the Programm, with luck im in (after waiting for 10 minutes) then the controller moves by itself in the Cockpit. After a short time the next CTD. CTD when i turn on my Xbox controller when im in the programm. Good Update.

Ajjjj bad indeed ! Post your hardware config here. What do you have… Click Start, type: Reliability Monitor… what do you see, this is mine, most CTD’s are listed in detail… and MSFS related. About 4x per month or so

3 Likes

Ryzen 7 2700x, 48GB RAM, RTX2070, SSD, Winupdate 21H1. Hope that is everything needed?

I ll have a look…havent noticed that yet…I ll check

Nice config :cat: but it’s AMD… it seems AMD Cpu’s have more issues. Did you overclock things ? also you could try to set thread affinity for MSFS. Check out

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/cpu-utilization-issues-on-amd-ryzen-7-3700x/131945

Check driver

Had my first look around SU5 after a long update process ~3hrs all up.

The update process was as usual for me, issue free albeit taking quite a while.

First impressions…
I had a “palpitation moment” when checking my bindings to discover them all missing - restarting the sim fixed it and they haven’t gone awol since.

While not noticing the mega improvements to fps as some are reporting, I never the less have seen a solid improvement on the order of 30%. My acid test of loading in the 787 at EGLL which up till now sees me in the low 20s with regular dips into the teens, is now a solid 30 or better. An interesting observation is a sizeable drop in fps while the camera is moving which is almost instantly restored when the camera stops moving - note that even though the fps drops, the smoothness does not - it’s very fluid compared to pre-patch.

I normally ran locked at 30fps mostly high settings with a few ultras thrown in with terrain LOD 150 and object LOD 100. Most of the time 30fps was maintained but it frequently dipped to the mid-high 20s, universally so at all the usual spots - EGLL, KJFK, London, NY, Paris etc. With SU5 i still run locked at 30 but have bumped both LODs up to 200 and I haven’t yet seen the fps drop below 30 no matter where I am or what aircraft I’m in.

I have not seen ANY evidence of the pop-in problem reported by some and I’ve tried really hard to reproduce it. There is always a hitch when changing views for the first time, but once everything settles down I can swap views as fast as I like with total fluidity.

I have had to turn off all POI markers as all the little UFO circles are driving me batty and my trusty UI mod to toggle them on/off with a key press has stopped working - hopefully @mixMugz is on it :wink: Something in the new update is causing them to appear at much larger distances than before.

I will wait a couple of days for the servers to settle down and get a few more hours in the sim before completing the poll.

i7-7820X, 1080Ti, 32G 3200MHz, running at 1920x1200 100% render scale.

1 Like

It’s not the CPUs so much as it is the GPUs. If I could roll back the calendar to April 2020 I’d have an Nvidia GPU instead of a Radeon card. The driver situation with AMD is not good.

1 Like

Trial and error… if you want to surf on the edge of technology…

Great submit pointing out issues ! thx @E1ephant42 !

it has disapeared the egypt tour in the discovery flights, it was there 1 hour ago

Removing all non-mandatory Marketplace content did the job! I’m able to get into the sim now at KSNA ramp 84 in a Cessna Grand Caravan.

Will now try reinstalling the premium/deluxe content and then other things until it either breaks again or I have everything I want installed.

Update installed flawlessly for me. Found a bug when doing a bush trip in VR that the menu that is supposed to open when you complete a leg never fully appears, and exiting VR mode doesn’t help , and you can’t even end the flight. I had to kill MSFS from the desktop, and I don’t even know if I got credit for the leg completion.

CTD galore! Crashed on main menu browsing maps, upon loading plane at the runway, click fly, CRASH. FUN, back to the early days of Flight Sim! Woohoo!

I can’t load at any location in the world and instead get the infinite loading bar which doesn’t even end at the end. I am not sure what to do.

1 Like

Same elevator trim issue with the MS store version of C172 and C152. One click seems go up or down a lot - one click now behaves like holding down trim button for couple seconds. Anyone know how to tweak it so that one click don’t send out too many trim commands.

5 Likes

Had to repost this…made me literally LOL…

4 Likes

I think it depends where you fly (and maybe what you fly?). I’m using the Xbox Game Bar for FPS per the SU5 Update Notes suggestion. Out in the boonies over Mann Gulch, MT, I go from 45 to 50 fps to well over 60 fps in an Icon A5 at a few thousand feet above rugged terrain. Don’t remember what it was recently before SU5, but when I started with MSFS back in Aug. 2020, I was lucky if I could get 20 fps in an Icon A5 at 1500 ft over upper Manhattan - and it was Stutterville and pretty blurry. Now with SU5, I’m getting 40 to 50 fps, very sharp scenery on ULTRA settings, and almost stutter-free flying (I did have one fraction of a second complete pause while banking). So I’d say over upper Manhattan with all the photogrammetry, it really is a massive 100% improvement in an Icon A5 on ULTRA settings with a 2070S.

I didn’t remove any Community content for the update(I only have my own Simple Aircraft compiled from an early SDK and the H135 heli v1.3). On first launch of a saved .FLT, the sim did freeze (maybe because as an afterthought, I only turned on all my USB controllers as I launched the .FLT file??) but restarting the SIM fixed that. In mid-flight, the sim appeared to freeze up but it seemed to be that somehow PAUSE just got invoked as if I hit my RESUME key combo (Ctl+P), I was off and running again. The Xbox Game Bar and the sim don’t seem to play well together. I’m running the DARK Win10 theme and so is the Xbox Game Bar. When I launch it over the sim, the sim screen darkens. If I put focus back on my full-screen sim, the Xbox Game Bar disappears from view and the sim returns to its normal brightness. I guess I have to run MSFS in windowed mode to have the Game Bar active at the same time and not darkening the sim view? Anyway, I took a “What Me Worry?!” approach to updating and haven’t taken a big penalty yet for my indolence. Maybe it’s due to lack of add-ons, mods, and having an Intel CPU and Nvidia card… Switching windows in the sim is incredibly more responsive, love the map update, and need to find the On/Off toggle for POI, which I love having but only want to see as needed for sake of curiosity or orientation.

Oops! My Bad. Forgot one issue I do have that I haven’t figured out yet. The throttle for my Bravo Throttle Quadrant works just fine. The flaps are totally non-responsive. So looks like I might have some remapping to do!

Double Oops! Turns out in enthusiasm for SU5, I forgot I had my Throttle Quadrant on the H135 heli profile, for which I didn’t create flap trim settings, obviously. As soon as I switched back to my complex single engine settings, flap trim works same as before. Duh! (the H135 heli is now my default aircraft!).

Try removing your Marketplace content and re-adding individual things once it’s working again. (So far I’ve reinstalled the Premium and Deluxe packages and World Update 2 and it’s working; now trying the rest of the World Updates and the Top Rudder which is also an Asobo plane).

I suspect that some Marketplace planes may be causing compatibility issues. (Note that 3rd-party planes may appear as static traffic parked at airports, so not flying them doesn’t mean they’re not affecting the sim.)

1 Like

86% complete atm… let it roll out, get to sleep now… if you do the same, don’t forget these

Well… I went to uninstall/reinstall the CRJ and even though it had updated earlier after SU5, there was an update available. Not sure if the earlier update I did after SU5 was hosed or if Aerosoft did an update within the last couple hours, but I got my CRJ running.

Prior to SU5, the most FPS I could get even just sitting on the ground at SeaTac was 20fps. Now I’m looking at a very comfortable and smooth 33-35…and now I’m for sure happy!!! WOW. :smiley:

2 Likes