Discussion + Poll: Sim Update VII (January Build 1.21.18.0)

LOL!
Great analogy. I think I get it, now.

Ever consider installing LEDs in the FS Menu?
:wink:

This is a wild card guess but have you tried just installing the nvidia driver itself and not the geoforce experience (just do a custom install of the driver when it asks for Express or Custom). I have seen posts about the Geoforce experience causing problems. And also do a “clean install” when that option is available in the Custom install part of the nvidia .exe driver file so it completely removes all traces of the prior driver and starts fresh. I have used the latest driver on an rtx 3090 with DX11 with no problems but I know CTDs are a somewhat common thing and can come from many places and be hard to diagnose. Sorry about the trouble you are having.

1 Like

Have you tried using a frame rate limiter in your GPU directly rather than the MSFS option (I use the frame rate cap in the Nvidia Control Panel and it works all the time on everything)

1 Like

Thanks, not a driver problem, a known bug with nearly 500 up votes, sadly not enough to be seen by Sebs team for 14 months now.

I did try external nvidia frame capping but it causes frame glitching (navigraph window). I also couldnt cap only MSFS, I had to cap all rendering, but I want to run other games at 120fps. Even when it worked it didnt do much because its still rendering that darned hangar at 60FPS which draws around 100W and spools up the fans, my last resort was to change the fan curve to let it run really hot, but really? This is so simple to fix and they just ignore it, focusing on adding new buggy features, METAR I am looking at you!

At least it is winter here now! :grinning:

I do wish FS was open source at least in the menus, maybe some day.

MS store version, painless update, Credit to all involved in the WU, simply stunning visually, with no performance hit my end.

Well done.

I agree with you on all of that…and it seems like a simple fix on their end. As for the nvidia control panel, I ended up using that fps cap for just MSFS at 40 for me (VR user), and I have a 90 fps cap set there also for automobilista 2 and another cap of 60 for my zwift app (on that second tab of the nvidia control panel where it allows for specific settings for each game/app)…it’s not too bad to set up for specific games and not a generic cap, but of course that doesn’t solve the problem you mentioned for navigraph.

1 Like

Just set vsync on in NVCP and you will get the same fps as your desktop

1 Like

When you set VSync in game to 60FPS that actually means it will lock your FPS to 100% of your monitor’s refresh rate. Which in your case would be 120FPS.

If you want to lock at 60FPS, select 30 in the Vsync option in the menus. 30 means 50% of your monitor’s refresh rate which will be 60FPS. Locked as soon as the sim starts.

Select 20 if you want to lock at 33% of your monitor’s refresh which would be 40FPS.

That’ll fix your problem without Seb having to do a thing :slight_smile:

Which FPS/VSync settings (Sim + Nvidia) are the best for a LG 48" C1 OLED TV and a RTX 3070? Thanks!

Well thank you sir, that has worked (to an extent)!

Had no idea the real bug was Asobo assumed every monitor runs at 60FPS :joy: whats that a 10 minute bug fix to add “divide by monitor refresh rate” but ignored for 14months while they chase the xbox release date bonus money?

My fan still blows but its quieter as its now only trying to hit 60fps so much appreciated!

While you are here you got any clever tricks to solve the 2 mouse panning bugs that totally wreck the cockpit viewpoint experience? [BUG LOGGED] Freelook with mouse causes controls to freeze after SU5 - Bugs & Issues / Miscellaneous - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums and the new SU7 one Whats wrong with the mouse inside the cockpit? - Bugs & Issues / Miscellaneous - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

I have a similar setup, as above it depends on your TV refresh rate seemingly. If you run at 60FPS then 60 VSYNC, 120 then its 30 VSYNC.

The one I have used is to bind the toggle free look, moving it from middle mouse to right mouse. For some reason this has two positive outcomes.

1. It doesn’t cause the sim to free when you press the Next Pilot Position (hat up for me)
  2. It allows you to control the aircraft while it is active.

The only downside is you have to press the button again to deactivate it so you can interact with cockpit controls, but I consider that a small price to pay.

1 Like

Thank you thats better actually. I still get that game freezing with HAT UP but I am able to prevent the annoying refocusing/zooming bug that afflicted middle mouse button and ofcourse control the plane while panning! Progress!

1 Like

As mentioned above I would set VSync to either 30 or 20 in your case which is 120HZ I think.

I have gone with 20 and and more than happy with 40FPS at 1440p.

Then it’s a question of using @Grabber523’s excellent posts which help to fine tune your CPU / GPU latency for your selected FPS.

@DellyLaFord Sorry don’t know much about the free look issue but if you search the forums, I’m sure you’ll find some guidance :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I liked this at first but now when I have restarted the sim I notice that when you click again to deactivate free look… the zoom level resets! This makes working with panels and switches a nightmare! I think I will stick with losing all control of the plane while free looking. Back to praying for someone in Asobo to take pity after 3 Sim updates with no fix :joy:

This sim is like getting an old car to start on a cold morning with the choke, you think you have a method, then a new release/problem comes along and its hours of investigation to figure out a workaround :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Microsoft Workaround Simulator 2020?

1 Like

Haha… well after 3 hours of workaround simulator 2020, I reset everything and setup a flight… so I have been now waiting 10 minutes holding short as the AI taxis so ■■■■ slow on the runway that by the time they get off, the next plane is landing :man_facepalming:

Is there any known way to hack AI taxi speed?

1 Like

I need another set of eyes on this one.
Does anyone know what that white object that I’ve circled in orange is?

At first glance I thought Quantas had retrofitted a 3rd engine under that 747’s wing, but Google doesn’t offer me any assistance with this one.

Help?

The 747 is designed to transport an additional engine for shipping purposes.

3 Likes

I’ve gotten this on nearly every single flight since SU5 was launched on July 27.

2 Likes