Discussion + Poll: World Update X: United States and US Territories (1.26.5.0)

We don’t have those on Xbox so it’s a win

AIRAC CYCLE
The release notes mention an update to v2206 Airac cycle but Navigraph Navdata still only shows v2205. Am I missing something?

AIRAC 06-2022 is effective tomorrow.

Screenshot 2022-06-15 135845

1 Like

On Series X

I CTD soon after the “checking for updates” screen. I seem to have an infinite loop problem on a strong wind landing challenge that showed which prompted me to try restarting game. Now I can’t get back in to attempt again and to reset cache.

I think there are 3 new Bush Trips mentioned in the World Update splash screen, but I haven’t seen any new ones in the Bush Trip menu. Anyone eperience the same?

Same to me…. anything I can do ?

I must be missing something or i have a setting wrong. I run a top end rig, 3090RTX 12900K liquid cooled, DDR5 memory etc etc and with each update the vegetation and trees increase in size. New York was ok but is now a mass of trees, even the publicity shot in the Discovery flight section shows a mass of oversized trees, there everywhere. I understand it is not a walking Sim but unless you live next door to your server it appears Asobo’s answer is to cover all the glitches and molten stuff up with trees. It is getting out of hand.

Haven’t we already had a USA world update? Why are we getting another one? Aren’t there other parts of the world more in need of attention?

4 Likes

Because USA has the most beautyful and precious national parks :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We may have already had one, but even then the devs stated that they would need to do at least another one considering the scale of the united states and how much data is involved. Lots of newer imagery as been inplemented and i can tell a big difference now. I just wish the servers werent bogged down, its getting hard to load the new data lol.

Just enjoy it. Be great full. Happy flying.

9 Likes

Have you completed all phases of the update, through the return to Content Manager? It includes an update to all previous World Updates!

1 Like

I just think it’s too soon to be going back to USA before other key areas have even had their first update. Not all of us are from the states or even interested in flying there regularly. I’d rather see South America, Africa, India or south east Asia given an update before going back over old ground. Big disappointment

6 Likes

Data availability matters.

8 Likes

I think Jorg explains it better than anyone…

"In November 2020, we did the World Update United States, but it was only the second, and we were still defining what a World Update really is. It was good, but it wasn’t as good as we hoped in some ways, and the United States is huge.

"What drove all this was the fact that we got great new data. I think people think Jorg decides what goes into the World Updates, but actually, I simply chase the data a lot. If there’s cool data, I’m interested because it makes life for the simmers better.

“So we have completely new aerials for almost the entire country, which is great, and 42 new sources for DEM (Digital Elevation Model). The height field is important to me. It makes the mountains look right, we can go closer to the ground, and it looks like the actual place.”

There’s more on this at Microsoft Flight Simulator Interview - Jorg Neumann Discusses Free 40th Anniversary Edition & Future of the Sim

From my point of view as someone who doesn’t live in America, USA was due another update. Look at the size and variety of the place and the number of people flying there. Now compare that to Europe which has had more than half of all of the WU so far. Europe is well overdone, I really hope we get some updates from other continents now.

I’d really love to see WU for the many Asian countries where most of the world’s population is and there’s huge variety and amazing things to see. I’d love to see WU for South America and Africa.

The problem comes back to what Jorg said though, they do the WU as and when the data is available. There’s not some master plan with the countries in a long list.

11 Likes

I posted this in another thread as well.

Reasons why US is getting another world update:

• US has by far the biggest share of flight simmers + it’s a really popular place to fly in even if you are not from the US
  • They have new, really accurate Bing data available for the US
  • US is really big, no way it can be updated in one go, compare the area of Italy + Malta with US and you can see why
  • It makes sense to reveal this at the Xbox Showcase, 1. It gives them news to share 2. It reaches an audience that are interested in flying in this part of the world
  • It ties into the partnership with the Smithsonian (which will give us planes like Spirit of St. Louis)

It really makes sense in all possible ways.

11 Likes

It’s absolutely ridiculous that Alaska and Hawaii have been almost completely ignored by these World Updates. Hawaii got 2 lackluster POIs in WU2 and Alaska got a single lackluster airport in WU10.

Like, why Valdez? Out of all the airports in Alaska, what thought process went into Valdez?

There are so many natural landmarks that could have gotten proper models in these states. Diamond Head and Denali should have gotten custom geometry at the very least. Two of the most beautiful places in the entire world and yet they’ve gotten the least amount of attention despite two US focused World Updates.

5 Likes

I’m actually more interested in smooth and stutter free 60fps gameplay. Is that finally coming in August?

3 Likes

Number one, probably because there’s ton of photodata available so why not use it.

Number two, you are dismayed at the attention the US is getting but over in New England/NorthEast US we still are on 7+ year old data. Smokestacks and power plants long gone are still very much in our VFR world so for me we need a USA update 5 already.

1 Like

Did they improve any of the terrible Alaska textures? I love to fly there but the textures are very poor.

1 Like