Do I need a better CPU cooler? Need help interpreting stress test results

Hi FinallyFlying

I was in the same mind as you, I thought the paste was the problem because I did not expect to see 80 90° Temps running MSFS on High settings ( this was only 1-year-old machine) when I upgraded the Cooler the paste was ok, don’t forget nearly all of it gets squashed out anyway.

Get one of these and all your problems will disappear … believe me.

Scythe Fuma 2 SCFM-2000 CPU Cooler, comes with thermal paste and a special long screwdriver for easy fitting. See one for £50 on the web
When using up to 5 Ultra settings the Temps are in the 63° and with no noise. ( see Photo )

1 Like

When wise people offer sage advise that helps solve a difficult problem their efforts should be recognized and lauded.
Yesterday I ordered a Noctura NH-D15, it came today and I installed it. Ran cinebench: No temperature about 73 c., no throttling either; ran at 4, 500 MHz, slightly less than OC max of 4,700. In other words, a hell of a big improvement, validating the diagnosis that there was something wrong with my stock cooler or its installation.

Thank you so much to those that listened and thought and explained.

2 Likes

Congrats, what a result!

No you don´t need a better CPU cooler. But maybe you just want a more stylish CPU cooler with peltier element cooling?

35-670-001-01.md

The Phononic Hex2.0 peltier element cooler - for eccentric tech enthusiasts who are looking for something truly unique and special.

If you like the design of the stock Ryzen Wraith Spire RGB cooler and don´t want your CPU overheat and throttle during Flight Sim 20 I recommend combining the stronger 3500rpm seven-blade fan to the Wraith Spire version with copper core.

The cooling performance is absolute superior when combining the Wraith Spire copper core vaporization chamber cooler with the 3500rpm fan (some of these are from Delta Fans some are other brands), in prime95 my cooler never exceeds 75% rpm to be able to keep my Ryzen cooled. (please note that the MSI Gaming Edge WiFi Mainboard BIOS was not updated at this point so no RAM clock higher than 2133MHz was possible. CPU´s run significant hotter when using 2666 or 2933 MHz RAM clock which is the limit for Ryzen Zen 1 and Zen 2!)

I have never tested my modified Ryzen Wraith Spire RGB on a Ryzen 7 or Ryzen 9, but my Ryzen 7 Zen 2 was cooled with a AMD Wraith Prism running with 3600rpm maxed out and Arctic MX5 thermal paste and never exceeded 72°C in Prime95.