Does an RTX 3070 run a Reverb G2 well enough

I have recently bought a Reverb G2 and want to know if anyone can run the sim at 100 in OpenXR and 100 in MSFS.

I have a trusty GTX 1080 at present which does work but I have to lower everything down.

I9-9700K
32 RAM
Windows 11
650w psu

If anyone has a similar spec what settings can you max out at?

It should definitely do a lot better for you, especially if you use Open XR Developer Tools for WMR.
I have a similar rig except with a 3090 GPU and am quite pleased with the Reverb G2 using Open XR with this sim. It is gorgeous with some high settings and very smooth for me. I run TAA with resolution of 100 in sim, and use Open XR Developer Tools with Motion Compensation on Auto and resolution set to 70. Very pleased with the end result.

Edit: I have not yet tried it with resolution of 100 in Open XR, but am so pleased with what I see at 70 I just started upping some graphics settings instead.

Moved to #virtual-reality-vr:hardware-performance for further discussion of performance.

There is big topic with good settings for 2070 Super, so 3070 should manage at least same or better:
My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR) - Virtual Reality (VR) / Hardware & Performance - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

But you may struggle with 100 OXR and 100 TAA, I have those with 3090 with medium-high settings and it gives me about 30 fps on average.

1 Like

That has to be a painful workload for that old Intel chap. Check out with the dev tool, with the 3070 you will hit your cpu limits quite often. Only 8 threads won’t do it, not for the Reverb. :blue_heart:

Oh dear, I take it it’s not worth me even trying a 3070ti or even a 3080 :sob:

1 Like

It appears that this topic has been removed :thinking:

The main issue with the Reverb G2 (have had one for almost a year) is that the effective resolution of 2160x2160 (100/100 render res) requires an actual render resolution of 3k x 3k, due to distortion correction, and there is no cpu/gpu combo that can push this smoothly yet, not even an overclocked Alder Lake + Nvidia 3090. The G2 is a wonderful headset for the price, and I love mine, but you will have to accept a reduction in resolution in MSFS, either through sim render scaling or OXR render scaling, or both, to get decent performance out of it.

Without motion reprojection a 3070 can probably handle 60% sim scaling at 30 fps in moderate weather conditions, or 50% with motion reprojection enabled. There are a number of tweaks that will buy you another percent or three worth of performance and smoothness (very specific nvidia settings and affinity masking etc) but this is the reality of VR right now. Headset resolutions are now well beyond the capabilities of the best graphics cards available and unless something changes dramatically in FS that will be the case for at least another year.

The headsets coming out in 2022 will only magnify that gulf, unless foveated rendering and DLSS/FSR etc are added to the sim. VR in MSFS is pretty amazing with the right setup and tweaks, and I can never go back to 2D, but you definitely have to accept some compromises right now.

3 Likes

You’ve got an older CPU which will struggle with VR, and it will certainly struggle with the G2. The G2 really is designed for the very latest high end GPU’s (3070, 3080 and 3090, or AMD equivalent) coupled with a new CPU.

You’re looking at a whole new PC if you want to run the G2. Expensive thing this simulator.

1 Like

I’m hoping we can get a bit more optimisation, either through Asobo and the sim or through OpenXR that will claw back a few more precious FPS out of current hardware set ups. VR flight sim guy over on youtube did a comparison between the G2 and the Varjo Aero and the latter averages around 5FPS more simply through having better optimised software. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly95Ab9raFw&t=319s

I like VR Flight Sim Guy’s content, and that of several other VR youtubers, but sadly none of them ever dive into the software side of things in any detail, and I don’t know why. For MSFS in particular this really is essential info.

The Aero for example. Which compositor does it use, Steam’s or their own? What motion reprojection/smoothing ratios can it do, 1:2, 1:3, 1:4, more? What is the actual render resolution including distortion correction? None of them ever investigate these things, and I have no idea why not.

VR can be such a marginal thing right now and the difference between ‘nirvana’ and dissapointment can sometimes be measured in a few frames per second worth of difference. These things seem worth covering.

2 Likes

Thats the thing that really annoys about where we are with VR in the sim. Everything is always just so on the edge of greatness but not quite ever there. There’s always so much to worry about - what you can fly and where you can fly it. I got that seasons mod the other day, which is such a fantastic addition to the sim, but there is about a 2-3FPS hit with it for me. Thats pretty much nothing in 2D on the screen but in VR is everything. So many small things add up. I just wish we didn’t have to worry.

1 Like

Pretty sure the development would be much easier for Microsobo if they didn’t have to deal with that huge range of systems from the edge enthusiast pc to the latest potato, and everyone’s complaining when not everything looks perfect, makes testing a huge odyssee.
Over the years the implementation of VR will improve and so will the headsets. The G2 and now the Varjo are just the start into plausible HD immersion, so it just takes time.
As the simulation attracts so much attention, i am pretty sure the state of VR in 2 years is satisfying as long as the hardware is able to catch up with the increasing resolutions. And as the chipmarket seems to get more competetive, maybe that will be the case.

Let’s enjoy the journey, even if the ride get’s a bit bumpy from time to time! :blue_heart:

4 Likes

Not on an “old” plattform. Even the ram throughput of these cards can be a limiting factor.

3070 here with Reverb G2.

I run at 70% OXR and 100% MSFS resolution with TAA antialiasing on. Motion reprojection is off. It runs very smooth, no stuttering, and with crystal clear clarity on the cockpit displays.

My CPU is AMD 5600x pegged at 4.5ghz boosting to 4.82ghz on all cores.

Hope this gives you a real world comparison.

70% OXR on the Reverb G2 is still running at its native resolution, anything higher is over sampling to help correct for lens distortions, honestly not worth the performance hit.

3 Likes

What plane are you flying and in what conditions though? 100% render scale in the sim absolutely nerfs my performance for VR. At 80% its just about smooth, 60% is best but of course reduces clarity significantly. I’ve got an Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme factory overclocked RTX 3080 with a 5600X and only under very specific situations, small plane, higher altitude, lower sim settings can it be what I would describe as being very smooth. I also cannot use the G2 with MR off otherwise its a total vomit inducing slide show when I turn me head.

I don’t have my 5600X overclocked but that shouldn’t make a huge difference. All my sim settings are at medium.

1 Like

Definitely!

Before SU6 i could only fly the smaller GA aircraft at 100% as any glass panel aircraft tanked performance. I was using 80-90% render for the TBM for example.

After SU6 all the aircraft perform about the same, recently I have done a few longish flights in the FBW A320 which is amazing in VR, and the TBM is happy at 100% sim render.

Clouds are high, most other settings medium. Live weather, have done a couple of approaches in the FBW A320 in heavy rain and low visibility. It has all been fluid.

MR stays off for me, it steals performance and even in the menu screens it wobbles and breaks up the image. It never worked for me.

The important thing is 70% OXR.

With the 5600x you should enable a PBR auto overclock at the very least. And make sure your RAM is running at its correct speed, and is set to use DOCP timings. This all will make a difference when your system is under a full load. None of these things tend to make a difference or add FPS in most games, but they come into play when everything is sitting running flat out as it will be in MSFS in VR. Worth it.

1 Like

Interesting. What does PBR stand for? I’m aware of Ryzen precision boost overdrive.

The sim is so weird in VR. I find the same thing but in complete reverse.

Sorry I meant PBO!