Soaring Weather Presets

Download on Soaring Weather for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

The goal of these presets is to provide flyable conditions, in a wide variety of geographical locations, be it over flat terrain or in the mountains and at the same time maintain a realistic look of the weather.
To achieve this goal we optimised relevant variables and created workarounds for various MSFS quirks.
After hundreds of hours of research and feedback from real pilots we believe to have found a compromise that best mitigates the current issues with lift in MSFS.

This download contains 8 variations of the SSC Soaring Weather preset, for 8 different wind directions, allowing you to glide anywhere in the world.

How to install:

Simply copy the .WPR files to the correct location and select them in-game from the weather presets menu.

MS Store version: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_[random-letters-&-numbers]\LocalState\Weather\Presets
Steam version: C:\Users[Your Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Weather\Presets

To successfully fly long distances in a glider it is important to understand the weather in MSFS.

The SSC Soaring Weather features 2 sources of lift for glider pilots:

1. Thermals (rising air associated with clouds)
2. Ridge lift (created by wind flowing over mountains)

Prerequisites:
In order to find decent thermals, flights should be done in summer around noon hours.
Time of Day and Season play a big role in determining the thermal strength.
These factors are not part of the presets and have to be set by the pilot himself.

Thermals:
The presets include clouds that feature thermals of up to 10 knots of vertical wind below cloud base at 2000 m above ground level, and slowly decreasing the higher you fly above cloud base.
Due to how msfs works, these thermals can be found a little offset to the windward side of the cloud (not directly below the cloud). The larger, higher and denser the cloud is looking, the bigger is the chance to find good lift.
MSFS also simulates hot air rising from the sun heating terrain, but this is completely independent from cloud formation, and cannot be controlled by a weather preset, as it solely depends on the time of day, season and wind speed among other things.

Ridge lift:
MSFS is doing an ok job at simulating air flowing over mountains, with the exception of the fact that under many circumstances lift can be found at altitudes high above the ridges, which is quite unrealistic.
To work around this fact, the presets are set up in AGL mode, featuring several wind layers at different altitudes above ground level (as opposed to altitude above sea level).
To produce ridge lift, you will find wind speeds of around 15 kts close to the surface (be it in a valley or on a mountain peak). As in real life this lift only reaches a couple of 1000 ft above the terrain, due to the addition of multiple wind layers of decreasing wind speeds in the preset, meaning you have to fly pretty close to the mountains in order to benefit from the ridge lift.

Note:

These weather presets control the lift by manipulating the wind so you will see wind speeds reducing significantly as you rise above slopes but this seems the optimal compromise to get realistic ridge-lift conditions.

They were designed to work universally for thermal- and ridge soaring. Feel free to finetune the windlayers and cloud altitudes for your specific flights.

Tips:

• For best conditions fly during summer at noon.
  • Pick a preset with a favourable wind direction depending on your flight plan.
  • Find thermals on the windward side of clouds (not directly under clouds).
  • For best lift in the mountains fly between 500 - 1500 feet above the ground.
  • Fly over terrain easily heated by the sun (cities, rocks, beaches)
  • Consider setting the Turbulence option to medium for a smoother flight (Assistance Settings>Piloting)

The Sim Soaring Club is a friendly community of over 1300 pilots, flying gliders in MSFS and hosting multiple group flights every week.

Join us on discord: Sim Soaring Club

Contributing pilots:
ANRI, B21, Biggles, Georg & all active members of the Sim Soaring Club.

Happy Soaring!

6 Likes

Excellent work, Thanks Georg! (and associates)

I posted this at Avsim. Here’s some feedback from an FAI Silver pilot.

right off the gate I’ll say this is excellent. Very real and immersive for me. Thermals are centred using virtually textbook technique and adjustment for staying centred work reasonably well too. In the short flight I just had I’d say best all round sim soaring experience to date.

2 Likes

Thank you. Glad to hear that.

Everyone interested in gliding should give these a try.

We’ve done many successful cross-country flights on the SSC discord using these presets.

Including thermal-, ridge tasks and everything in between.

2 Likes

Congrats @SSCGeorg - these presets are a great start for anyone soaring in MSFS. I’ve taken the opportunity of moving my 100+ weather presets to a ‘backup’ subfolder and I’ll see if I can stick to these SSC* presets for a most flights.

1 Like

Can relate - my weather folder currently has 177 files :slight_smile:

Most of them are leftovers from iterative process to produce in given Sim Update state of weather engine quirks simple sensible single layer Cu humilis thermal weather - not too “bombastic” and not too weak thermal weather.

It is surprisingly difficult to define with confidence thermal weather in MSFS2020 - partially because presets configuraton parameters are quite unrealistic (cloud density slider - unrelated to humidity setting, really? single temperature - how about temperature gradient? I could go on) and those artificial settings are also glider unfriendly - no way to specify desired min/max thermal strength, strength of cloud thermals, probability of finding strong thermals etc. Instead thermal strength depends of a mix of artificial parameters - like cloud density - really? In RL I can find “bombastic” thermals in non humid weather under very thin veil of condensation also no thermals under shadowed thick almost-raning dense clouds.

MSFS 2024 would be a great occasion to rething and redesign weather presets parameters from ground up with realistic meteorology parameters (like temperature lapse) and thermals - there are dedicated soaring weather forecast services like rasp blipmaps - www.fcst.pl, https://fcst24.com/, skysight, skydirect and many more to draw realistic inspiration from, because current parameters are legacy, often added as an afterthoughts and as quick walkarounds - not a well designed weather configuration system for the capabilities of MSFS weather simulation.

I think the settings are fine so far.
I had also saved my own basic settings with different wind directions.
At the end of the day, it’s not gliding for me if I can play weather god and then change the weather as I need it. For ME, the challenge is missing.
That’s why I prefer live weather 98% of the time. The flights on the weekend showed me that it works. EVen it is not every time this way.
Saturday (3h08m) from Belluno (Italy), Marmolada, Toblach, Lienz, Grossglockner, ST. Johann to Unterwössen. At the Grossglockner I had to fight for 45 minutes. It was really hard work and full concentration. The thermals in Belluno matched perfectly and I found the slope winds in the mountains with the changing wind directions realistic. However, as in reality, it was difficult to fly.
Sunday in Gernamy high pressure weather without clouds, little wind, summery hot. Therefore only blue thermals. Flew from the historic Wasserkuppe towards the northwest, Fulda, Marburg and landed in Marburg-Schönstadt because my wife called me :wink: .The flight took over 1h and I also found it very realistic. You have to keep in mind that thermals are not static. Therefore, thermals are not always present in places where you expect them to be. Updrafts can break off if not enough warm air follows. Sometimes there are only bubbles that still rise. Then there is updraft for a short time and then no more. I always keep an eye on surrounding airfields to avoid outlandings. When I reach a certain minimum altitude, I have to move to the next airfield or find a safe place for an outlanding. I always refrain from using the Y-key.
During the whole flight, from my point of view, there was no thermal where it did not belong, if it was there. I also know that this is not always the case. Sometimes the calculations are just bad, sometimes, like now on the weekend, they are great.
Therefore, accept the challenge! :slight_smile:

Happy Gliding
Ralf

PS Please do not misunderstand. I am not against manual weather settings. They are good for practicing. But if you like the challenge, you should give live weather a try. I now have a good 500h in the glider in FS2020 behind me. I know what I am talking about. :cowboy_hat_face:

Ralf I understand 100% what you’re saying, and it’s great the settings change in live weather as you move around a decent gliding task, certainly within a 300km task, so you never quite know what you’re going to get. That aspect is much more realistic than the canned presets. Also flying on a “blue day” at least removes the mostly meaningless clouds so you don’t feel cheated when they don’t work.

For me the serious downside of live weather is it can’t finesse the MSFS implementation of thermals (i.e. columns of air rising to the clouds) so that only leaves the clunky “Ground lift” dominating every flight (i.e. what Asobo sometimes calls turbulence, sometime thermals). I.e. that lift IS always in the places you expect to find it because it is purely based on ground type (I highly recommend “sand”). I feel slightly guilty telling you this because it’s a curse, once you know the 2 lines of code* defining the lift strength everywhere in MSFS it’s impossible to unlearn it. *this lift strength is also based on a bag of other parameters, lke latitude, time of day, wind (oddly), but none of those things change significantly as you fly, so the only variables are ground type and slope. Air in MSFS 2020 DOES go up and down, so that’s better than FSX, but I think we missed an opportunity for a good implementation.

Our main challenge with the presets is if you know the trivial algorithm, you can cruise around like the world champion. If you try and fly as in RL (e.g. head towards a cloud) you’ll find the conditions very difficult. So our multiplayer tasks vary between novice gamer pilots completing at 200+ kph, and RL pilots landing out.

For me, MSFS is a billion dollar flightsim with a 10 dollar air movement algorithm and I’m bitterly disappointed.

2 Likes

Hi, I can agree with you in principle and am on your side in many ways. I am of the opinion that MS/AS has approached gliding half-heartedly on the right, even if they show more gliders on all banners and pictures. But the FS2020 is not a Condor where you only concentrate on gliding. I don’t know if you should judge it so harshly with the $10. I have had to work with simulations in the past and I know how much effort is involved. When I look at the efforts of the DWD (German Weather Service), the enormous computing power and expertise behind it and then realise how often it doesn’t work, you can well imagine that weather in FS is very difficult because the FS has to remain flyable in terms of FPS and that not everyone can afford a high-end computer, not to mention the X-Box. The guys know the overall requirements better than anyone else. If you know that you’re not going to be able to get any further, you don’t do much more. I also think that the announced calculations were not implemented to the same level. Maybe we will get a push forward with FS2024, or not at first, because gliding is not so much in the foreground. However. I for one am often disappointed. The last updates have not fulfilled the expectations in “my” direction. But I still have fun with it, whether real or not. I have flown gliders and paragliders in real life and when the FS gets better I am happy about it, according to my wife, like a little child :wink: and otherwise I don’t let it ruin my fun, because I have no alternative to the view of the world from above, apart from the real flight, than what the MSFS offers.
Maybe we should leave it at that.
All the best
Many regards
Ralf

BTW If you are interested in the technical requirements of the DWD weather simulation, here is the English page:

https://www.dwd.de/EN/aboutus/it/functions/Teasergroup/dataprocessing.html?nn=24864

The german version has some more pictures:

https://www.dwd.de/DE/derdwd/it/_functions/Teasergroup/datenverarbeitung.html?nn=20256

1 Like

And for x box players is there the same possibility to install it?

unfortunately no

How is the realism with this mod? I found that it was hard to find a good balance when I flew the gliders without the mod. There was either too much updraft or none at all.