Drzewiecki Design - A rant about FPS

that is why you need to do some research yourself always, before buying any addon!!!

2 Likes

I think I recall reading long ago that MSFSā€™s textures are natively 2k. 3rd party developers are luring purchasers with boasts of 4K textures. Iā€™m starting to believe that this imbalance between native and 3rd party resolutions might be one of the issues that causes complication in finding the ā€œrightā€ settings. If you tune for MSFSā€™s 2k resolutions, 3rd party addons will likely create stutters. If you tune for 3rd party addons, MSFS native scenery looks blurry.

I donā€™t knowā€¦ just thinking out loud.

1 Like

Even though Iā€™m on xbox I plan to get a PC within the next 2 months (GPU prices finally coming down!) and so bought the 3 DD items on my list that I wanted fully aware of potential issues with xbox. Here is what I found with the addons I purchased and tried this weekend on xbox:

• Seattle Landmarks. No issues on xbox and definitely worth it over the surprising bad default scenery (you would think MS being based in the area would have done a better job). The handcrafted water airports are a nice addition.
  • Krakow EPKK. The selling point for me was additional landmarks and an airport with the cool aviation museum. If I use simple GA planes it seems to work fine on xbox but trying to use airliners (e.g. A320) I get a CTD at gate. Acceptable to me as I mostly fly GA planes and this is a good value addon.
  • Chicago Landmarks. I knew going in this was a CTD magnet on xbox and low FPS on PC. As one of my favorite places to fly (with poor default scenery) I bought this for ā€œfutureā€ use on PC. Interestingly, if I spawn over the city in a simple aircraft I can fly around with decent performance on xbox and then all of a sudden get a CTD after a few minutes. Perhaps there is some memory issue, but definitely pushing the limits of xbox I would guess. Still worth it to me for future use on PC as itā€™s such a huge upgrade over default Chicago.

I had previously purchased Narita a few months ago and tried it again recently with su9 beta. Airlines still CTD instantly on xbox but I can fly around in simple GA planes. Iā€™m hoping when I get a PC I can finally enjoy this airport.

So, totally unusable on Xbox when flying airliners. I think itā€™s a shame itā€™s promoted in a sale this week.

In top of that, I asked the developer personally if itā€™s safe on Xbox. Yes, itā€™s totally safe is what he answered me. Total scam!

Just because it doesnā€™t meet your personal expectations, doesnā€™t make it a scam.

1 Like

To be fair I already knew of the problems on xbox having researched in detail and only purchased because of the sale and I plan on getting a PC soon and the marketplace purchases will transfer. I do agree it is misleading if the developer said there were no problems with xbox as the issues are well known in the forums. In general the airports and landmark packs for DD get excellent reviews on PC, so the real problem is misleading xbox users.

1 Like

Does the xbox version have the same graphics settings sliders as does the PC version? If so, try setting your texture resolution setting to medium. I was also having very bad stutters and poor performance with the DD Chicago scenery, but after setting texture resolution to medium and restarting the sim, my performance around Chicago has been fine.

Xbox has no graphic settings whatsoever

Even though we canā€™t change settings, Iā€™ve actually read that series S performance is better in some instances than series X because the hard-coded graphic settings are reduced. Iā€™m almost guaranteed to get a CTD on xbox if I fly around long enough without re-starting, regardless of the addon. As a result Iā€™ve been trained to always restart the sim prior to any significant flight. One of the many reasons Iā€™ve decided to move to PC.

Avangel had a review of the Chicago scenery when it came out and she had very positive things to say about it and there were no noticeable issues in her yt review but Iā€™m not sure what her hardware setup was like.

its terrible on my brand new ryzen 7, 3060ti and 32gm Ram machine

How much VRAM does your 3060ti have?

Try lowering your texture resolution setting to Medium if its at a higher setting. I recall reading somewhere that MSFSā€™s native textures are 2k. 3rd party addon developers like to include 4k textures because of the marketing hype around 4k everything. Iā€™ve a belief that these textures are just too much. I have an RTX3070 and saw abysmal performance after purchasing and installing the DD Chicago scenery last week. I lowered the texture resolution setting from High to Medium, restarted the sim, and now it works fine.

8GB i think

I agree mate they are too much, especially for a bunch of buildings that tend to shimmer anyway with the aliasing.

I just find it incredible, was playing Assetto Corsa Competizione and it looks glorious, runs at a smooth 60fps, graphics look stellar, the cars are real showstoppers, dynamic weather and yet a bloody static airport can pull a machine down to 12 fps!!!

Yep, that wonā€™t be enough for these new sceneries coming out. No matter how powerful the chip on your GPU is, if you donā€™t have a large amount of VRAM, youā€™ll get stutters with these airports that are packing 4K textures showing every tiny detail for thousands of objects at one airport. Complete overkill, but these developers donā€™t seem to realize or care. I donā€™t know what the magic number is, but maybe anything over 15 GB would be enough the run this stuffā€¦who knows.

1 Like

dont buy that stuff then. i wont.

I wonā€™t. At least not right now. Iā€™m certainly not knocking the quality of DD products here either. Iā€™ve been a customer of theirs for years, having purchased several sceneries for FSX and MSFS. But if theyā€™re not going to optimize their stuff for mid-tier GPUs, then theyā€™ll have to wait for me to upgrade mine, which wonā€™t be soon. Iā€™m not planning on getting any card with under 15-20 gb vram with the way things are going.

This setting may help MSFS performanceā€¦

Drawback: Some report this setting can cause the odd CTD.

Windows 11 >> "System ā€“ Display ā€“ Graphics ā€“ Select Flight Simulator ā€œOptionsā€ ā€“ Select ā€œHigh Performanceā€.

I believe this option is available in Windows 10 as well.

I wish these scenery developers would allow the purchaser to chose to install a 2k vs 4k version. Iā€™d choose the 2k version every time. I donā€™t think 4k textures are worth the performance hit. Especially when in VR!

3 Likes

This is what happens when you have a dev that creates scenery on a high spec PC and probably does not test performance on multiple gpus. Letā€™s all assume every simmer runs or could afford a 3090 :eyes:

1 Like