Famous Flyer I: Beechcraft Model 17 Staggerwing

Pretty sure I’ve opened up the side windows of the JU52 without causing a simulated crash. Frankly, that’s something MS/Asobo/Carenado should look into. You don’t “over stress” an airframe by opening a side window in a low altitude, low speed GA aircraft.

Well the Ju wasn’t actually developed by Asobo, they got a third party to do it like with the Fokker and this Beechcraft. But still Microsoft published and produced so I guess you should expect them to follow some standards but seems not.

I know that and I know it’s stupid. I’m not making excuses for the way the flight sim handles damage but just explaining that’s the way it is.

Here’s one of the devs of the Kodiak explaining it

2 Likes

It works like this:

-MS/Asobo makes opening windows possible in the sim
-MS/Asobo doesn’t implement opening windows on any of their first-party planes
-When third parties try to implement the feature, it unrealistically causes overstress
-When people bring it up, MS/Asobo blames it on third parties because they’re the only ones who bothered to try to implement the feature MS/Asobo made available but left broken

5 Likes

Will have to check this out

Yeah it was funny because the very first time I flew this bird I rolled the window down and my flight ended because of it. Made sure not to do that again lol. Would def be nice it it worked like the junkers

Yes, that was my experience too.

“What does this hand crank do?”

Famous last words.

5 Likes

Even more famous last words, “Wait… that’s a Spitfire!”

Even that is mostly Hollywood-bogus, since small openings in pressurized cabins won’t cause catastrophic depressurization like usually depicted in the movies.
Initial 747s had a small port in the cockpit that you could open so you could use a sextant to use for astral navigation… clearly opening it didn’t suck out the pilots (granted, astral navigation sucked out the life out of pilots, but slowly :rofl: )
So there is no excuse for the sim’s insistence on overstressing airframes by opening various aircraft orifices

2 Likes

Speaking of Spitfires, the FI Spitfire LF.IXc can be flown with the canopy open.

1 Like

As can their P-38L. Opening the side windows creates a great soundscape, and if you make the mistake of unlocking the overhead, it will fly off. But it won’t crash the plane.

You can also open the canopy on the Milviz Corsair, and it’s also a great way to fly fast and low.

1 Like

There are quite a few aircraft you can fly with canopy back including the Iris Tutor and the Piaggio P149D.

Clearly the devs avoided calling A:EXIT OPEN:index, percent and found something else to use as a work around.

I’ve opened the window on the Junkers JU52 without issues, so a coding issue with this plane that could be fixed?

As already mentioned, the Junkers uses a custom animation for the window. Any plane using the window animation functionality built into the sim “crashes” if you do it in flight, at least as I understand things.

So it could be “fixed” on the Staggerwing if the developers wanted go to the effort of making a custom animation for it, but the honus really should be on Asobo to fix the broken function they put in the sim so developers can use it. But like I said, since Asobo never uses it on any of their first-party aircraft they don’t seem to care.

1 Like

The simple fact that the amazingly modded C152 has received an autopilot ruined its appeal to me. I don‘t have to use it, I hardly even see it where it‘s placed. But the fact that a C152 (!!!) received a full Kap140 is so ridiculous that I haven‘t flown it since. It may be stupid on my side but it lost the pure and innocent character. :man_shrugging:t2: Some airplanes are just not meant to be flown like that. It‘s a bit like someone put an AP into a Bücker Biplane.

2 Likes

The other issue is that the custom animations do not show up externally in multiplayer. For some aircraft that is a minor issue but for something dropping skydivers or freight it may actually matter.

pull out the circuit breaker on that sucker. It’s cathartic enough for me and I’m so anti-AP I fly 5-6hrs 800-1000nm VFR in the P-38 without even using its tablet AP (or the dash mounted GPS for that matter)

1 Like

Always at the top of my troubleshooting list haha. I have it active. I followed the instructions of another user. I open a different aircraft first, and then exit to the FS menu and then load the Staggerwing, then it works.

Currently flying from my home airport (Travis AFB) across the U.S. some pictures I have taken along the way. Currently in South Dakota.

8 Likes

Even their 170 apparently decompresses and explodes if you open the window over 75KIAS, even though it’s just a flip-out type. :grimacing:

1 Like

It’s like the WACO where it has one pull one way to 40KN, then pulls the other way, then lift the tail first and instant HARD LEFT! I don’t even remember what I do but I’m like pre-programmed now to work the rudder pedals the same way taking off in some of their aircraft, like playing a flash game instead of flying per-se.

1 Like