FInished all the training courses - where to go next?

Also check out Grippersim videos on YouTube, I believe he is actually a flight instructor and had started a set tutorial videos in MSFS that went into more detail than the in-sim training.

Yeah. If I worked for Garmin I’d be ticked off that my products were so dysfunctional in this sim. I’d send a team to Asobo to fix it. There are a lot of current, and future, pilots getting their first Garmin experience.

1 Like

+1 to Squirrel’s channel, really beginner friendly. Specifically his tutorial playlists:

If you want to fly an airliner, I’d suggest 320 sim pilot’s channel, he’s a real world A320 pilot, so he’s really knowledgeable in his videos. Here’s his tutorial playlist:

If you want to take a step up from beginner friendly tutorials (you mentioned navigational instruments in your comment), I’d suggest P Gatcomb’s playlist. He also has some basic tutorials as well.

GOOGLE for MSFS informtion.

Plenty of Great Youtube Videos ( and plenty of really bad ones as well )

Looks like @CaptHawkeye50 created a nice YouTube playlist that compiles all those channels I mentioned and some more into one big gigantic mega playlist!

2 Likes

Thanks for the link Lagrik !

Thanks man…I apreciate it!

Yeah, lots of stuff on YouTube but hey, I feel your pain tho. I really wish (especially for want of attracting people new to aviation) that MSFS 2020 offered more in the way of training, perhaps like the old FSX has (I think you even got a handy certificate to print out upon successful completion) as once I whizzed through the training course I was left with no IFR introduction flight, nor learning the hows and whys of IFR at all. I think FSX does do this (it’s been many years since I uninstalled it so aim running from p*ss-poor memory). I find the current training sort of lacking in FS 2020.

1 Like

I read most of everything I could, even before the sim was released.
I set myself the task of flying a lap of Australia to ingrain the lessons I learned.
I have almost completed this task, as my airmanship has come a long way.
The lessons learned re trimming. throttle and flap management, mixture management, and planning in general have become second nature now.
Using the C152 as a platform, it becomes a reality to trim when there is no autopilot, and every flight is long and slow.! Balancing speed against climb rate, straight and level flight, and a steady controlled descent makes it carefree to fly, and the scenery can be enjoyed.

I would recommend every novice pilot accumulate hours ‘with a purpose’.

Even with the logbook being erratic, I have managed to clock up 60+ hrs in a very short time.
Even with the issues with this sim, I am enjoying this immensely, and have learnt a lot about taking the time to enjoy it for what it is.

2 Likes

One of the things I loved about FSX was the training. It was so much more in depth than MSFS2020. So I found a link with them online. I would read the text, watch a YouTube video of someone else flying the lesson, and if I needed to I would fly the lesson myself in MSFS.

Here are the lessons I found online: http://krepelka.com/fsweb/learningcenter/lc_index_lessonsmain.htm

3 Likes

Good find, BuildableSea96!

1 Like

can i open the link and watch the training flights ? are there videos ?
fs-flight:lessons/solo/solo-inst-holding-direct.flt

thanks!

Check this out:

https://www.sportys.com/blog/scenarios-to-try-in-microsoft-flight-simulator/

With FSX on Steam being like $25, is it worth buying just for the training? Does it include the training/lessons?

1 Like

Don’t know if you’ve gotten it yet but download the FAA’s Airplane Flying Handbook. Lot’s of great information in there: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/airplane_handbook/media/airplane_flying_handbook.pdf

Score! Thanks for sharing.

If anything it is good stuff to read before going to sleep at night.

Although informative, FAA publications will certainly put you to sleep. There are far more effective and entertaining publications out there. Check out https://rodmachado.com/

1 Like