Fix the wind gust model

I’m having the same issue and its taken the fun out of flying small GA planes.

My theory for what the problem is; the small GA planes appear to have no mass and/or friction (resistance) in the physics calculation for when being affected by the wind and is being pushed around like paper or a kite instead of a 1 ton (2300 lbs) airplane.

This is especially apparent for the pitch movement. Flying the 172 (G1000) with 10 Kts gusting 20, the plane would quite violently pitch up or down 5-10 degrees. Its more akin to someone overriding my control movements than an external force pushing the against the airplane surfaces.

EDIT with examples:
MSFS 2020 - real world weather. 10kts wind gusting 20kts. Please note the wind indicator on the G1000.

My IRL in similar conditions in the same spot:
Taken in my little Grumman Traveler on a hot day with 10kts wind gusting about 20kts. I’ve disabled stabilization on the camera to “fix” it like the camera in MSFS; Note how the nose “sways” side to side rather than violently change direction especially the pitch. Its much easier to trim her out and “ride the waves”, whereas in MSFS is jerky and impossible to trim.

Oh and as an interesting comparison; When I turn on the stabilization, this is how it feels for the passengers.

14 Likes