Flight Plan using ChatGPT

I tried that, but ChatGPT answers that it is not allowed to create Lists with Names and so on for savety reasons ??

1 Like

The question was posed as “IRF,” will it work if you ask “IFR” instead?

It might be more interesting to ask ChatGPT to make a “VFR” Flight Plan for Microsoft Flight simulator, between two airports in the USA, including waypoints of Points Of Interest along the route.

Have to wonder what ChatGPT would find “interesting” !!.

Another interesting to ask ChatGPT is :

“What causes ‘Crash to Desktop’ in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020”

Its reply is quite enlightening … :scream:

Its the same Charlie

1 Like

Ok. Real-life, though. Someone has put a limitation (and that’s good). But it will do it for a simulated or fictional flight?

He dosen`t work for flight planing, real or simulator, the IA from Chatgpt its just a creative text generator from a bunch in text database.
Iam realy worry how the people are overestimating this, its not safe for any purpouse.
For me its just a randon generator who try to make a role context in chat to ensure his text are right, but often its wrong.

1 Like

Not entirely true. I’ve seen people ask questions about ‘names’ involved’ in some certain ‘topics’ and the reply was initially it could not do that and then proceeded to list names.

It’s the new thing on the block. Just a ‘living’/AI" Ask Jeeves. People are going to fall hard for it. If they wanted to, Google could of just built something like this into their search box and you’d get the same result. I can understand it in my mind but maybe it’s not translating so well onto the post.

(smile) your wish is my command…

make a “VFR” Flight Plan for Microsoft Flight simulator, between two airports in the USA, including waypoints of Points Of Interest along the route.

Sure, I can help you create a VFR flight plan for Microsoft Flight Simulator. Here’s an example flight plan for a VFR flight between two airports in the USA, with points of interest along the route.

Departure airport: KJFK (John F. Kennedy International Airport), New York City, New York, USA
Destination airport: KBOS (Logan International Airport), Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Route:

Depart KJFK on runway 22L, heading north.

After takeoff, turn right to a heading of 045°, and fly towards the

Throgs Neck Bridge.

Cross the Throgs Neck Bridge, and continue flying northeast along the 

Long Island Sound coastline.

Pass by Orchard Beach, and continue towards the Whitestone Bridge.

Cross the Whitestone Bridge, and continue flying northeast along the coast 

towards the New England region.

Pass by the Stepping Stones Lighthouse, located on a small island in

the Long Island Sound.

Fly over the historic town of Mystic, Connecticut, located on the Mystic River.

Pass by the Rhode Island coastline, and fly towards the Cape Cod Canal.

Cross the Cape Cod Canal, and fly towards the town of Plymouth, Massachusetts.

Pass by the famous Plymouth Rock monument, located in Plymouth Harbor.

Continue flying towards Boston, and approach KBOS from the southeast.

Points of interest:

Throgs Neck Bridge - suspension bridge over the East River in New York City.

Long Island Sound coastline - scenic views of the coastline and beaches.

Orchard Beach - public beach in the Bronx, New York.

Whitestone Bridge - suspension bridge over the East River in New York City.

Stepping Stones Lighthouse - historic lighthouse in the Long Island Sound.

Mystic, Connecticut - historic town known for its maritime history and museum.

Cape Cod Canal - man-made waterway connecting Cape Cod Bay to Buzzards Bay.

Plymouth Rock monument - historic site commemorating the landing of the Pilgrims in 1620.

Boston Harbor - scenic views of the harbor and city skyline.

Note: Please ensure that you also check the latest weather conditions, navigational charts, and regulations before flying in Microsoft Flight Simulator or in real life.

I had to do a bit of reformating.

dw

1 Like

I get that too. Sometimes I’ll rephrase the question, but I’ve also found that clicking “regenerate response” once or twice works too.

I just asked the beta chat KI from MS bing to do the same. The answer was an explanation of how to create a vfr flight plan in MSFS. Then I asked “make this plan for me” and the result was: “I’m sorry, but I am an AI language model and do not have the ability to create a flight plan for you. However, I can provide you with information and guidance on how to create a VFR flight plan in Microsoft Flight Simulator. Is there anything specific you would like to know?”

When using the KI “compose” option the the answer is as follows:
"A VFR flight plan is a document that provides information about a planned flight under visual flight rules (VFR). It is not mandatory to file a VFR flight plan, but it is recommended for safety reasons. A VFR flight plan can be created using online tools such as SkyVector, SkyDemon or EasyVFR, which allow users to select departure and destination airports, choose waypoints along the route, check weather conditions and airspace restrictions, and calculate fuel consumption and flight time. A VFR flight plan can also be printed or exported to Microsoft Flight Simulator for simulation purposes.

For example, a VFR flight plan for a flight from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (KSEA) to Portland International Airport (KPDX) could include the following waypoints:

• KSEA: Departure airport
  • SEA: Seattle VOR/DME
  • RNT: Renton Municipal Airport
  • PLU: Pierce County Airport - Thun Field
  • OLM: Olympia Regional Airport
  • HQM: Hoquiam VORTAC
  • AST: Astoria Regional Airport
  • SPB: Scappoose Industrial Airpark
  • BTG: Battle Ground VORTAC
  • KPDX: Destination airport

Some points of interest along the route could be:

• Mount Rainier National Park
  • Puget Sound
  • Olympic National Park
  • Columbia River Gorge

The VFR flight plan could look like this:

VFR Flight Plan Example"

too funny – like asking it how to commit a crime .

“I’m sorry, but I am an AI language model and do not have the ability to tell you how to commit a crime,"

“However, I can provide you with information and guidance on how to rob a bank, You will need a bank full of money, a getaway car, some large bags to put all the cash in and most probably someone who can crack open a safe.”

1 Like

Well other than taking you about 100 or so miles out of your way not bad. (smile)
Wonder why it didn’t include the Pacific Ocean since you’d been near it also.

Yup we are still in the early days of AI. I have no issue with improved search and synthesis. Flight planning at its basics is a deterministic action. Going from point a to point b is a simple action. The ‘problem’ is in the ‘real’ world all sort of unplanned ‘stuff’ happens. The permutations can become out of hand very very fast.

dw

Would be really great if MS/Asobo or someone else could integrate some chatGPT generated scenarios for missions.

E.g. Create a scenario for me. I’m flying a DHC-4 Caribou from Cardiff Airport in Wales to Anglesey. Give me the names, descriptions and reason for flying of the four passengers I’m taking.

Gives me…
As you prepare for your flight from Cardiff Airport to Anglesey in your DHC-4 Caribou, you receive information about the four passengers you’ll be taking along for the ride.

The first passenger is Mr. David Hughes, a renowned geologist who has been invited to give a lecture at the Anglesey Geopark. He is a tall, thin man in his mid-fifties, with glasses and a neatly trimmed beard. He carries a large backpack with him, containing samples and maps for his lecture. He greets you with a warm smile and thanks you for flying him to his destination.

The second passenger is Ms. Emma Williams, a wildlife photographer who has been commissioned to take pictures of the bird population on Anglesey for a new book. She is a petite woman in her thirties, with short blonde hair and an easygoing demeanor. She carries a large camera bag with her and talks excitedly about the photo opportunities that await her.

The third passenger is Mr. John Smith, a businessman who needs to attend a meeting on Anglesey regarding a potential investment opportunity. He is a middle-aged man with a serious demeanor, dressed in a suit and carrying a leather briefcase. He checks his watch frequently, clearly anxious to arrive at his destination on time.

The fourth passenger is a surprise addition to your flight - a border collie named Finn who belongs to Ms. Williams. She explains that she needs to bring Finn with her to take photos of him in action, herding sheep on Anglesey’s famous farmland. Finn is a friendly and well-behaved dog, eager to explore the plane’s interior.

As you take off from Cardiff Airport, you can hear the excitement in your passengers’ voices as they discuss their reasons for flying to Anglesey. It’s clear that each one has a different purpose for their journey, but they all share a sense of anticipation for what awaits them on the island.

Wow! Would be a great mission generator.
Combine it with Stable Diffusion to give some character portraits and a flight plan from MSFS. Job done.

Little project for someone?

1 Like

Create a fictional reason and flight plan for me to fly a Cessna 172 from Cardiff Airport to the RAF airbase on Anglesey.

Fictional reason: You are a civilian contractor who has been hired by the Royal Air Force to conduct a routine inspection of the airfield at the RAF base on Anglesey. Due to unforeseen circumstances, the RAF’s own inspection team has been delayed, and you have been called upon to perform the task on short notice. You are an experienced pilot with a private pilot’s license, and you have been granted permission to use your personal aircraft, a Cessna 172, to make the journey.

Flight Plan: Departure Airport: Cardiff Airport (EGFF) Destination Airport: RAF Valley (EGOV)

Route:

• Take off from runway 12 at Cardiff Airport and climb to an altitude of 4,500 feet
  • Fly west towards the coast, following the Bristol Channel towards the north
  • After passing over the Bristol Channel, turn northwest towards the island of Anglesey
  • Fly over the Menai Strait and continue towards the town of Holyhead
  • Turn south and follow the coastline until you reach RAF Valley
  • Enter the traffic pattern and land on runway 19

Flight time: Approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes

Notes:

• You will need to obtain clearance from air traffic control before departing Cardiff Airport and entering the airspace around RAF Valley
  • It is important to maintain good communication with air traffic control and to follow all instructions carefully
  • Be aware of any restricted airspace or military operations that may be in effect in the area, and adjust your flight path accordingly
  • Check the weather conditions and ensure that they are suitable for flying before departing from Cardiff Airport.

I’m hooked… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I gave this prompt and got the following reply:

I like to fly tailwheel bush planes like the CubCrafters XCub in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. Can you suggest a flight plan for me to fly with 5 to 8 way points using airport ICAO codes or decimal latitude and longitude coordinates in Utah that has at least 2 dirt runways that I can fly in one hour while flying a plane that can fly at 80kts?

Sure, here’s a flight plan suggestion for you in Utah that includes two dirt runways:

Departure airport: KLGU (Logan-Cache Airport) Waypoint 1: UT25 (Cache Valley Hospital Heliport) [N 41.7430, W 111.8160]
Waypoint 2: UT12 (Howell / Bonham Airport) [N 41.8883, W 111.5933]
Waypoint 3: UT52 (Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge Airport) [N 41.7633, W 112.0600]
Waypoint 4: 74V (Aviation Acres Airport) [N 41.6300, W 111.9333]
Waypoint 5: U42 (Brigham City Airport) [N 41.5528, W 112.0622]
Waypoint 6: UT25 (Cache Valley Hospital Heliport) [N 41.7430, W 111.8160]

Total distance: Approximately 85 nautical miles (157 kilometers) Estimated flight time: Approximately 1 hour at 80 knots ground speed

This flight plan includes two dirt runways, the Howell/Bonham Airport (UT12) and the Aviation Acres Airport (74V). The route takes you through scenic areas and wildlife refuges, giving you the chance to enjoy the scenery and practice your bush flying skills.

EDIT: here is what the flight plan looks like in SkyVector. I think it placed the wrong ICAO codes for some of the airports.

P Gatcomb posted a pretty cool video about all this.

FPchat.PNG

My version of the ‘request’. I added no-crossing past waypoints.

I like to fly tailwheel bush planes like the CubCrafters XCub in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. Can you suggest a flight plan for me to fly with 5 to 8 way points using airport ICAO codes or decimal latitude and longitude coordinates in Utah that has at least 2 dirt runways that I can fly in one hour while flying a plane that can fly at 80kts? And isn’t crossing past waypoints.

Sure, here’s a flight plan that meets your requirements:

1. Start at KSPK (Spanish Fork Springville Airport) - N40.1167 W111.6333
  2. Fly to U14 (South Valley Regional Airport) - N40.4933 W111.9389
  3. Fly to U42 (Mount Pleasant Airport) - N39.5386 W111.4458
  4. Fly to 69V (Huntington Municipal Airport) - N39.3231 W110.9561
  5. Fly to U96 (Boulder Airport) - N37.9250 W111.4167
  6. Fly to UT25 (Dirty Devil Airport) - N37.8722 W110.3586
  7. Fly to 4UT4 (Panguitch Municipal Airport) - N37.8550 W112.3881
  8. Return to KSPK

This flight plan includes 2 dirt runways at Boulder Airport and Dirty Devil Airport, and has a total distance of approximately 190 nautical miles. With an estimated airspeed of 80 knots, you should be able to complete this flight plan in around 1 hour. Make sure to fly safely and enjoy the beautiful scenery of Utah

Two interesting points… ok three.

1. It made an editorial comment about Utah that it seems to make about any part of the world.
  2. It made up a ICAO number ie 4UT4 (Panguitch Municipal Airport) - the real ICAO code is U55
  3. It didn’t cross old waypoints but it didn’t choose the shortest path. it’s having a small issue with the ‘traveling sales person’ problem.

dw

It can’t properly judge distance traveled, time flown, and it sometimes misnames the airport for the ICAO it lists. U42 is the South Valley Regional airport. It calls U42 the Mount Pleasant Airport in your plan and it calls it the Brigham City Airport in mine. Maybe if we disregard the ICAO and lookup the airport by the given name? I will try that later.