For those with higher end PC's not happy with the current graphics, come on in

I’m done arguing anyway. I just patiently wait for the next update and hope that Jörg and Asobo take the necessary steps to ensure it’s going to be a solid move forward. Msfs2020, for me at least, was always about not having to tweak, not having to worry about sliders, like you have to in Xplane and P3D. I don’t want that to change, since I’ve spent actual time flying instead of trying to figure out stuff on my own.

2 Likes

Exactly…from day 1…I could load it up and fly…no tweaking.

I hope Asobo can get the sim back to a place where users are discussing flights, not tricks to get flights to look like before some update.

7 Likes

I’m sure the laws of diminishing return come into play here and are different for different systems. I tried bumping up the LOD in the cfg files to 6 and took a pretty significant hit with stuttering. Even backing off on the in-game settings only improved a little. So for me I’m sticking with the number 4 and settings cranked up to maximum values.

No need :wink:

Yeah, I think it sticks if you don’t change anything from the in-game graphics menu. I haven’t made it read only and the 4/4 LOD settings along with film grain 0 persist. Still messing with the sharpen parameter. Sometimes I get ugly smearing with moving objects. Sharpen and film grain are seemingly related to this smear.

After increasing LOD of both terrain and objects up to 9.0 I am pretty convinced there is no significant change above 2.0.

Major improvement just raising the terrain and object LOD sliders from 100 to 200 from a High End Graphics setting. I have not edited the UserCfg.opt file. Before the update I was happy to get around 30 FPS at a Medium Graphics setting over LA. Now I am Getting around 50 FPS with a modest setup consisting of GTX1060 6GB, i7-8700k 3.7GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB NVNe SSD, and a 1920 X 1080 display. Objects now appear in the distance just about the time they are large enough to be seen. Before making this change the buildings in downtown LA would suddenly pop up only after they were already significant in size and that was unacceptable for VFR flight. Thank you much for the heads up.

For my part, the LOD is not the main issue. I think the current oversaturated coloring, shadows and reflections are the things which prevent me from enjoying a flight.

Another thing to try that worked for me:

Go into each setting category; Graphics, Data, Accessibility, etc. and click on [Reset to Default] and save & apply for each category. It brought back alot of the clarity and smoothness.

Of course you are going to have to tweak some things back to your liking. It was almost as the game had reverted to the lowest settings, but had not changed any of the settings that were showing in options. I guess it gave it an enema so to speak :slight_smile:

Hope this helps some of ya.

1 Like

Always interested to see how tweaks affect the sim I’ll take a look an report back

I am on my 4th restart and flight and things are still looking much better than before. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

You may be able to adjust your monitor settings to obtain a more pleasing display.

A little skeptical but desperate I tried your suggestion. I set everything back to default levels and adjusted them upward one by one. Once I got them back to my accustomed levels I really believe that things became clearer and smoother than they were before. I even jacked them up a couple of notches further before the frame rate degradation became noticeable.

Thank you so much for the helpful suggestion.

1 Like

I am glad it helped. I just wish i knew why… lol

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.