Foveated Rendering for VR

I’m not so sure one can really say that the sim performs “great” as it is.
Even with the fastest currently available CPUs and GPUs, clarity is left to be desired when flying at low altitudes because rendering is well below 90 fps.
Besides, how many people are able to get their hands on something like an RTX 3090 even if they are willing to shell out the ridiculous cash for it? :rofl:

2 Likes

90 FPS is a pipedream!
The sim performs GREAT as is!
GREAT meaning smooth stutter free FPS even if it isn’t anywhere near 90.
Again folks like to treat their personal wants and goalposts as standards for MS/Asobo.
The sim doesn’t need a RTX 3090 to run VR with max/high settings for all headsets.
Some of you CHOSE to run the sim with Reverb G2s and Pimax HMDs that require MORE firepower than others to drive the higher native resolutions.
That’s not every VR simmer’s experience and the sim is well optimized to run on VR on lower GPU/CPUs with great eye candy settings still.

1 Like

Anyone tried this yet?

SteamVR only and the VRS part is Nvidia GPU only, but I’m considering doing something similar in my upcoming OpenXR toolkit.

1 Like

Unfortunately, “smooth stutter free” does not equal “CLEAR” :rofl:
Reprojection offers a tantalizing glimpse into the kind of clarity that can be achieved when rendering approaches 90 fps, but 2 interpolated frames out of 3 still is not the same as true 90 fps.

1 Like

Hey mbucchia, it would be great if you come up with something that would work with OpenXR!
Thanks in advanced! :+1:

I’m hoping to look into it further down the road (meaning not for a few weeks/months).

Edit: I realized after posting that just like openvr_fsr this would not work for MSFS even when using the SteamVR runtime.

Tried it before with DCS with Variable Rate Shading but didn’t get any performance improvements from it unfortunately. Didn’t look at it too closely, but it was likely the CPU was the bottleneck, due to a lot going on in that sim on the main thread.

MSFS might be a better fit, due to a nicer split between CPU/GPU, so would be interested to see it down the line with OpenXR.

I don’t want to call this inconsistent rendering as eye candy. xD

1 Like

i keep expecting they’ll be a catch some where for what you’re doing for this community (and other msfs communities) lol! i hope there is no catch, like a patreon pay-wall going up in future! its rare that someone is truly altruistic. you should consider putting a donate button on your upcoming site though :slight_smile:

No doubt my Pimax 8K KDMAS headset is the best consumer set out there. 200 deg FOV. 8K and runs sweet with my 3090.

1 Like

8kx is nice with the fov (it’s been measured to have a maximum horizontal fov of just over 160 - dont listen to pimax (or any other hmd manufacturers claims about fov, they all exaggerate)). its not true 8k, its 2x4k screens, which are spread over a larger area than other hmd’s meaning it has a little less pixel density than a G2 for example, meaning the image isnt quite as sharp.

all the feedback so far is that the aero is better than the 8kx because of its very high clarity. i have an 8kx and i really like it but i think the aero will be better. it should be given its nearly twice the price.

1 Like

The experience is OK, but the VRimplementation is not good enough, and you know It. You can convince yourself if you want…

1 Like

My experience is amazing, the best looking and performing VR experience in a flight sim so far for me!
Especially with the latest patch clouds look much better!
Sorry it’s only OK for you, I hope one day that changes.

You should really try dcs (beta!) to compare. At least with my headsets, the visual quality is at least 50% better.
The FPS are about double, unless you are in a big online battle with thousands of projectiles in the air. The latter is understandable, the computing load is higher with the FS. DCS has been optimized well over the last two years.

The best experience in a sim (not a true sim) Is, for example with star wars squadrons, I can run it in ultra, 100 render scale and the game runs silky smooth without shuttering and with a crispy sharp image. Also the il-2 sturmovik runs very smooth ( OK it’s older and the grafic a little bit old). But even with other games like half life alyx that runs maxed out without a problem (I have a 3090 strix).

In this game, msfs, the game goes well but the image is not as sharp as in other games, and it is because the Aa filter, the optimization that is not the best. Also the game is not as smooth. I enjoy the game? Of course yes, but not the best vr experience.

3 Likes

completly agree

Best looking probably but not best performing, more like worst performing. I’m glad I have a high end rig and can tolerate VR at low framerates well because it really is amazing to have it this as an option. I also have no problem with you being happy with what we’ve got right now because it’s certainly way more good than bad for me too.

That said, we should be realistic about what the situation is and let people give feedback/vote if they think this is an issue or just focus on other things if we don’t.

2 Likes

Again I have a SHARP buttery smooth experience in MSFS.
I own DCS and everything else mentioned and NO I don’t care for how DCS nor Star Wars Squadron performs in VR as they are not full scale world/globe civilian flight sims!
YES some of us are getting a GREAT experiences with our hardware setups and MSFS settings configurations. So generally NO I wouldn’t call the MSFS VR experience mediocre, it’s the best VR experience yet for me coming from hours upon hours months and months of tweaking XP11,FSX,P3D,Aerofly FS2, DCS, IL2 VR experiences. MSFS VR runs amazing for what it is! Could it use some work? Of course!
We’ve come a long way and are slowly getting there!

1 Like

I’m delighted for you. But for some others and me, according to an official statement from Asobo, things will not go in a similar direction until 2023 at the earliest.

Ok well guess we have to enjoy and make the best of what we have until then, and I hope our votes are heard!

1 Like