FS2020 "PRO" needed?

If its bundled with Honeycomb Aeronautical Yoke/Throttle Quadrant and Rudders sure!

4 Likes

Yep, I accept that but I really don’t want to have to wait ten years for it!

I think it likely that Xpane will achieve more in less time, not least because Xplane is made available for simmers and pilots off the back of an FAA certificated training program, doesn’t care too much about eye–candy and isn’t bothered with ‘challenges’ or other game oriented features in the way in which FS2020 devs clearly are.

As a retired pilot, I miss the things that only a dedicated, ‘pro’ sim would offer.

Such a simulator may be what Asobo intended to produce but MS has clearly pushed them down the game-console route, probably due to the extended profits they are like to accrue.

If it had VR and all that I mentioned in my post above, I’d be happy with that.

I need to check back on XP11 mods…there has to be at least 3rd party addons in 2020 that fix most of the visually lacking aesthetics by now right?

1 Like

I hope the same thing which applies to aircraft does not apply to MSFS. Multi-role aircraft always turn out fundamentally flawed, full of complexity which you wouldn’t have otherwise, more expensive and way worse at its job than an aircraft solely designed for the job at hand :upside_down_face:. Lets hope MSFS does not become the F-35 of flight simulators :joy: :+1:t2:.

That’s interesting… I just posted nearly the same in another thread.

what does a “PRO” version means really? how is it different from what we have now?

I think we should just wait for the game to be finished. IMO it will be more simmerish (if that is a word lol) by the end of 2022.

I guess we should not be asking a Pro version, all the “Pro” stuff I see in the simm community is more expensive than the muggle version (harry potter reference there). I don’t want them to think they could charge us more. IMO I just want them to finish the game so 3rd parties can build their complex airplanes I/we/many want. Same for other addons.

They are not building the advanced features of the game, they are leaving that for 3rd parties. I believe they don’t have the intention or desire to invest time and money on advaced features. That is why we should be asking for a feature complete, stable game (call it whatever you want, game, sim, potato)

Anyways, they will never build “more than what is needed” to sell the game. That said, the game is awesome when it works, the problem is that everything is breakable and every plane feels like a cheap toy. I think we need to keep asking for improvements and be patient.

This is a $60 entertainment title made by a game studio, a large portion of which is dedicated to an Xbox console port. Let’s push for incremental improvements, but I think folks need to manage their expectations or they’re going to be really disappointed. This simulator we have now is basically all we’re going to get.

1 Like

What would make it “pro”?

Would we get to file our bug reports in a system we actually had insight into, instead of just screaming into the empty void that is ZenDesk, or trying to get a community mob to upvote things into a Top 25 list of some kind so they can be placed on a list of things that are “not started”/“backlog”?

Would Asobo somehow magically become better software engineers/coders/QA testers with more extensive knowledge of aviation and aircraft by calling it “pro”?

Would being “pro” unlock the water masks shown in all of the World Discovery videos that are a marketing ploy and not in the sim?

I already paid $120, and given all of the litany of issues with what I’ve got I see no reason for another version that would allow them to take more of our money with more unfulfilled promises.

Not buying anything from the Marketplace either, because they break the stuff there with their updates to the sim and then tell people “We don’t provide support for third party content” when they are the ones who broke it. Would “pro” somehow fix that?

6 Likes

Also just going to say, the physics engine of this sim seems great, the default aircraft are just far from perfect and have bugs.

We’ll all see the sim more clearly once the add-ons we’ve come to rely on in other sims like P3D come out

Er…move the post over ?..please advise how and where to ?
You will guess this Forum thing is new and unfamiliar to me ?
Best regards to you too !

I’d move it over to the “self service/wishlist”. Items in there generate the ability to vote on them.
You should be able to edit (use the little “pencil” icon at the bottom of your post) your original post and select which category and tag you want your thread to be in.
Regards

Unless you’re in a commercial level simulator that’s used exclusively for training, it’s a game. Period.

That said…

How one uses it is what really matters.

A well built “game” sim can totally be used for real world training. MSFS isn’t quite up to that level of maturity yet like FSX or XP, but in time it will be. It can certainly be used to complement real private pilot training and keep your skills sharp. As of right now, I will agree that MSFS leans more in the territory of gaming than being a truly useful training tool, as much of the avionics and flight modelling aren’t quite up to snuff with those other titles yet.

Some people want a gaming experience, and that’s totally available in MSFS or any of the other sims by tuning down the experience. You can fly around like an imbecile having tons of fun with zero regards for rules and procedures. In that sense, MSFS already has it nailed down pretty well. It’s got issues, but they’re on the home stretch there for sure. And seeing how XBox is one of their major targeted platforms, it’s not surprising to see that experience being polished up first. And as they said in the last Q&A, Microsoft sees MSFS as a huge success so far. And like it or not, the gamers that aren’t serious will be funding the future development for the more serious simmers.

That latter group want it as hardcore and true to life as possible. And there’s nothing wrong with that at all. We’re going to have to rely on 3rd party devs for that though. Asobo are working hard on the still very lacking SDK to bring us that experience. But it will come in time. I can understand why hardcore simmers are angry or disappointed with the current state of the sim.

But unless you’re specifically sitting at your sim to do supplementary real world training (which atm you can’t really do in MSFS), we’re basically just grown-ups (most of us) with expensive toys playing pretend pilot. As the old saying goes, “The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys”.

So we don’t need a PRO version of MSFS per se. The Pro version will be coming in terms of 3rd party aircraft once Asobo get finished with the gaming experience. The PRO features are currently being funded by the millions of gamers currently buying MSFS.

5 Likes

People need to look into the SDK documentation sometime. There’s a lot of incredible stuff behind the scenes that’s not being used to it’s full potential yet. Remember a simulator is a growing platform, it won’t be like this forever.

6 Likes

I think we are already inundated with too many “pro” labels attached to products that are charged at a premium, which don’t really provide that much of an upgrade/update.

Let them get MSFS finished before we start asking for another unfinished version with “pro” attached to it.

5 Likes

But bear in mind some of the experienced 3rd party devs are saying the SDK also lacks some very fundamental functionality that should have been there from the get-go. That and poor SDK documentation is slowing or halting their study-level planes for the time being.

I have no doubt it will get to where it needs to be in time though. And it will likely surpass expectations. It will take time for this product to mature properly.

2 Likes

Yeah, totally in agreement that the sim is premature in it’s current state. Lots of potential.

1 Like

Yep. Really we don’t need Asobo to develop a “Pro level” simulator. What we need is for the SDK to continue to be developed so that third party developers can address the various areas where the realism falls short. In other words, we need Asobo to focus on making the platform the most open and customizable flight simulator on the market. If they do that, then the rest will take care of itself.

5 Likes

“That latter group want it as hardcore and true to life as possible. And there’s nothing wrong with that at all. We’re going to have to rely on 3rd party devs for that though. Asobo are working hard on the still very lacking SDK to bring us that experience. But it will come in time. I can understand why hardcore simmers are angry or disappointed with the current state of the sim.”

Agree 100% with this. MS and Asobo just need to finish and improve the experience as it was intended and fix the SDK for 3rd party dev’s, so they can improve the hardcore sim experience. The realism and complexity hardcore simmers want will only come from 3rd party dev’s as payware, with a few exceptions (Workingtitle comes to mind and the A32NX). Let MS and Asobo do their thing, and the really good stuff with come.

2 Likes

Asobo has already made it clear that MSFS was(is) supposed to be developed with the serious simmer (“hardcore?”) in mind. Additionally, the secondary goal of MSFS is to be accessible for anyone who has an interest in aviation. So I expect the end game here is to have at least the same simulator functionality that other more developed platforms currently have. IMO a “Pro” version would be a Level D simulator. So that’s out!

As the SDK develops, this simulator should become the platform we’re all looking for…I hope! I feel Asobo already has its hands full trying to fulfill the commitment on their plate, while we’re still in the midst of a global pandemic.

2 Likes