Handcrafted airports world tour (Leg 23 update)

Leg 12 - LXGB-HECA

Departed: 10:30z (RWY 27)
Arrived: 15:05z (RWY 23L)
Weather: Overcast on departure; clear skies on arrival
Aircraft: Airbus A320neo

Route: LXGB N0449F380 DCT VJF UN851 MGA UM744 MOS UA411 CHE UA31 BNA UA411 MORJA UM978 SONAK M978 DOBIX N4 ARLOS UN4 SALUN Q680 DBA W725 OTIKO A727 NOZ A1 CVO HECA
Approach: ILS 23L (CVO1 transition)

Remarks:

• Autopilot misbehaved a few times (turning me off course, requiring gentle joystick input to correct), but in general a good flight (no crashes in over 5hrs!)
  • Pilot2ATC assigned the ILS 23L approach (CVO1) transition, but didn’t give me descent clearance early enough…I ended up about 10,000ft too high over CVO and had to take a detour outbound from the ILS to lose altitude; landing was offcentre and the glideslope appeared to be configured for a runway at a slightly higher altitude? Airport appeared slightly sunken into the ground…

Paked up and ready to go…

Departing from runway 27

Breaking through the clouds over mainland Spain

Crusing along the Costa del Sol

The greenhouses of Almeria

Houari Boumediene Airport in Algiers

Tunis

Malta

Mount Etna on Sicily

Approaching Alexandria and the Nile delta

Cairo

Final approach!

Taxiing to gate 16 at Cairo International Airport (HECA)

The sun sets over another leg of the world tour…

Distance completed: 5,408nm      Distance remaining: 41,183nm

Bonus trip:

I managed to miss the pyramids on approach to Cairo International, so I decided to do a little sightseeing in the Beechcraft Baron 58 the following morning. I combined this with an FS Economy job to transport some passengers across the Red Sea to Wejh (OEWJ) in Saudia Arabia, so made to make a little profit at the same time!

Heading out for a spot of sightseeing in the Baron

Downtown Cairo

Buzzing the pyramids at Giza

The Red Pyramid and the Bent Pyramid

Pyramid of Djoser (stepped pyramid)

Heading out towards the Red Sea