Heading Increment Bug (10 degree instead of 1) Explained

Because it’s not a “simple” control peripheral. It’s not a joystick with two clicky buttons on it.

It’s not required. I don’t use 3rd party tools with my Warthog HOTAS and i don’t run into that bug.

We don’t know that. By the looks of it, i don’t think it’s that simple. Looks like the functionality responsible for the bug runs thorough a great deal of the UI.

I think its safe to say we have different expectaions from flight sim software which is absolutely fine and everyone is obviously going to expect something different.

In my opinion many flight simmers would use peripherals which have switches on them since that matches what lots of planes have. Any of those peripherals would trigger this bug. I also think most simmers would utilise at least the heading bug, which is pretty useless if it only works in 10 degree increments

As a software developer myself I am 100% confident that if you gave me 12 months to fix this, I would have it done by now.

I’m sure the reason that it still isn’t done is because they have lied their priorities elsewhere, and I’m sure there are many simmers such as yourself who are less affected by it than me, and that is totally reasonable. I just wanted to express that I wished that they prioritised these kinds of bugs more and that they communicated the status of them better.

6 Likes

1000% agree. I have a x-55 and have the same problem. No issues with x-plane and the planes there are more more detailed. i don’t understand what the problem is. i’am confused. and for online flying is msfs not usable. it was a good approach. the hope was there but since 2 month is going down again.

I think this has been described before but I’ll explain this as I see it. Way back when FS9 was built, controllers were simple and most people used keyboards (There are exceptions). To make it easy to adjust things like heading and altitude, you could press and hold a key like “Shift” to get 10 deg. or 1000 units while using the heading key or altitude key to adjust. Instead of programming to find “Shift” keys, any key would do if it was held down. Fast forward to today and we have controllers that have always on buttons. It’s a bug that technology uncovered over the years.
The only solution right now is to remap those controller buttons with a 3rd party app.

Although it is within Microsoft/Asobo’s power to fix the 10 degrees bug, we should not let Honeycomb off the hook for their approach.
Instead of building a product, testing it properly and then selling it, they decided to give “influencers” free hardware to review, with a strict embargo date to build anticipation.
Sure enough, the reviewers heaped effusive praise on the products they’d been given, without properly evaluating them and without identifying this significant problem.
In the meantime, retail availability of these devices was more or less zero, so people who hadn’t been given a freebie weren’t able to point out that the emperor was wearing no clothes.
I’m sure that the Honeycomb products are good, even allowing for the rubber bands the yoke relies on and the need for custom 3d printed bits for the Bravo. But they would have been so much better if there had been a proper beta test phase.

2 Likes

Hi,
It is not only Honeycomb that has a problem with the 10 degree bug. Thrustmaster has the same issue in MSFS. I use the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS as well as the Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, and all have this issue in MSFS. Yet they work perfect in X-Plane 11 and in DCS.
So this is clearly a MSFS problem.

4 Likes

Agree. It is NOT fixed. Everything was fine. The heading knob on the G1000 increased/decreased heading by ONE degree per click of the mouse button. Now, out of nowhere…with NO CHANGES MADE BY ME…each click of the heading knob increases/decreases the heading by 10. What is the problem here, and how is it corrected? I’ve had similar issues with the rudder pedals, but that’s for another thread…

So it is. It worked perfect since one time a update was installed. After that the height etc. Only works on 1000ft steps.

This has nothing to do with peripherals, they work perfectly. This is 100% Asobo fault in coding that useless acceleration feature

3 Likes

UPDATE: I went into the settings menus and made a boat-load of changes, and now heading knob works like it should on the G1000. However, as it seems with FS2020, when you fix one thing, a gaggle of other problems arise! Nearly 100% of the problems I’ve encountered have been related to the rudder pedals and/or the throttle quadrant. I have watched many video tutorials about configuring all the controls, but nothing has worked “permanently”, meaning will work THIS time, but not on the next flight or the next time I start up the sim to fly. I always save any changes to the settings I might have made INTENTIONALLY, but the setting don’t work correctly later on.
I’m not here just to complain, but I think I can speak for a lot of fellow simmers that have experienced a ton of frustration with control settings. FS2020 is a dream come true…when it works correctly. I was a big fan of X-Plane 11, and still use it. The best thing about using X-Plane is that it works like it should 99% of the time. I can plug in my rudder pedals and control yoke/throttle quadrant, and once I configure the controls, it is TROUBLE FREE!!! NOTHING CHANGES!! Default settings work every time I use X-Plane. It’s like Forrest Gump said, "FS2020 is like a box of chocolates. Ya never know what you’re gonna get.
I would bet that most of us use either the CH rudder pedals or the Logitech pedals, and either the Cessna Throttle Quadrant/Yoke or the Honeycomb system. It can’t be that hard to engineer the defaults for those systems so that…once configured (like from installation?), THEY STAY THE SAME!!

Here’s the issue I have with FS 2020 right now: There are many simmers that are having issues with either the rudder pedals, the throttle quadrant, or the yoke. These are CRITICAL controls!!! It’s not like you’re not able to use the external view or something non-critical for flying. The problem here is that you would NOT be able to fly a real aircraft with a non-working control. You wouldn’t be able to take off if your rudder pedals didn’t work properly, so at some point the flight sim becomes unusable, just like a real plane would become unusable it you control it.
What I find aggravating is that Microsoft announced way back that there would be an entirely new flight sim in 2020. They had groups that were allowed to test the sim and give input. They gave progress updates letting us know what they were working on. It was finally released to the public in August of 2020, and there has been a lot more input. However, it seems like every time they fix one bug, a thousand more bugs show up. With all the people that were involved in the final product, it seems that it should have very few, if any, issues by now. Obviously, that is NOT the case. It has been one issue after another. Maybe Microsoft can get Austin Meyer (developer of X-Plane) to them how to make aircraft that actually work as designed to. If X-Plane had the same graphics that FS 2020 does, I would never have purchased FS 2020. As for me, I pretty much fly only the C172 G1000. I just wish there weren’t so many problems with the sim itself.

Nothing to do with peripherals? Sorry, I was under the misapprehension that these peripherals were being sold as suitable for use with MSFS2020, which however badly coded, has worked this way since early pre-releases.
Honeycomb could have made the switches momentary contact, or they could have supplier a driver that worked as a shim. They didn’t.
I don’t know whether this was due to a lack of testing, or if they decided to ignore this obvious problem. And you don’t know either, do you?

Honeycomb, Saitek, Logitech, Thrustmaster, CH and any other hardware manufacturer out there should change the standard toggle inputs used on every peripheral since the '80s because asobo can’t fix a simple software bug? Besides doing like you suggested would make them incompatible with any other “set” function perfectly working in all other softwares. Sometimes the blind accomodating behaviour of users baffles me… didn’t you pay for this? Don’t you think you should have a software working as expected? Because my peripherals are, exactly as they should… Oh just to have fun, simply keeping a key on your keyboard pressed will bug everything out, but I suppose every keyboard manufacturer should change key pressing functions to not disturb Asobo sleep

5 Likes

Have you even read what’s causing the bug?

Sorry to pester, but do we know when this issue will be fixed and patched? It was promising to hear next sim update, but we are beyond that now. :frowning: Thanks!

1 Like

Lol and here we are in April with the same bug still unfixed

So confusing. I was under the impression that the fix for this problem is to be included in the next sim update which I guess will be sim update 4. It has been in the code for several generations of MS simulators now so if it were easy it would have been fixed years ago.

No. Care to enlighten me?

Scroll to the top of this thread and read the explanation.

I am probably the odd person out here but I do not find it annoying. As most altitudes are in multiples of thousands of feet, it is convienent to select a new altitude using the 10 selection on the Bravo. If the altitude is not a multiple of thousands e.g. 3300 ft it is easy to select 3000 ft using the bravo & adjust to the correct 3300 using the dial on the AP selector. Same with the HDG controls