Help with V-Sync, Refresh Rate, and fps

There are several threads which recommend locking framerates to 30. Some of these suggest there is less stress on the gpu when frames are limited in the game settings rather than using the frame limiter in the nvidia control panel.

Yet, when I try limiting frame rates by turning the V-Sync setting on, and using the frame limiter below that, it doesn’t limit my frames at all.

I did read in another forum thread that the setting described above is misleading because it does not actually limit the frames per second, but that it actually refers to a percentage of the monitor’s refresh rate.

Honestly, the thread was over my head. So—I have an Asus 32 inch curved monitor; 165 hz refresh rate; HDR capable; 2560x1440p. Do I need to set my refresh rate lower? If I do, will that also lower the visual quality?

The real question is, can I achieve a 30 fps without having to go through the nvidia control panel?

i9 10900
Windows 11, DX 12
GTX 2070 Super
32 gb ram
2tb ssd

I have limited my 120hz monitor to 60hz in the monitor section of the nVidea Control Panel. That set, the in-game options with vSync ON are either 30 or 60 fps. I run it at 30 and that is the FPS I get.

2 Likes

V-Sync settings in the game refer to TV monitors running at 60 Hz, 60 in game is equal to your monitors refresh rate, 30 to half your monitors refresh rate and 20 to a third, I run my 100hz monitor at 75hz (Personal setting in NCP) and set V-sync to 30 in game, which gives me a fps lock at 37.5, (half my monitors refresh rate) I personally prefer little higher fps than 30 when panning as it does not get as choppy as it does at 30 fps.I tried 100hz and V-Sync setting at 20 first, which gave me 33fps, it worked well, but my Computer managed a little more fps in the worst scenarios so I changed my monitors refresh rate to 75hz and use V-Sync at 30 settings in game instead as it made panning a little smoother at 37-38fps ,there are no visual deterioration in quality running your monitor at lower refresh rate as long as you do not go lower than 60hz? MSFS is not an FPS shooter that needs fast movements.

3 Likes

Thanks very much @wilco3563 and @Ixoye56 for this feedback. So, the numbers in the MSFS graphics section below V-Sync actually apply to 1/2 the monitor’s refresh rate. Also, thanks to you guys for describing that the nvcp is the place to adjust my monitor’s refresh rate. Makes sense because then that refresh rate will apply just for my MSFS in-game. (Although this monitor is used exclusively for MSFS anyway).

Now I have enough info to experiment successfully. Also thanks for your opinion that there is no visual loss.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, can anyone confirm whether using the nvidia control panel to limit fps actually puts a strain on the gpu, or makes it run at hotter Temps, or otherwise is less :thinking: effective? Something in me wishes that I could keep the refresh rate at maximum 165 hz. But I have found that when the sim frame rate runs in 40s and 50s, I get stuttering when panning around.

1 Like

I have found that using the in game v sync at 30 is less stressful then using it through the nvidia control panel. That’s my own results, your mileage may vary.

1 Like

FWIW, I have vsync set to “use appliction setting” in the nVidea CP and the monitor limted to 60hz. In game, this gives me a choice of 20, 30 and 60fps. With vsync off in game, it runs between 35 and 55 fps depending on where I am. I run at 30fps as the game runs much smoother and pretty well does away with the micorstutters one gets when taxiing around busy airports (for example).

I found this video very helpful, and the4 suggestions therein work well for me. As always, your mileage may vary!

4 Likes

@wilco3563 Awesome, thanks very much! I’m looking forward to experimenting tomorrow when I’m at my PC. The stutters are not severe, but it has irked me that I haven’t been able to lock frames at 30. I’m pretty sure my flights will be much smoother.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat as you. I’d like to use 36 FPS at 144hz and use in the in game V Sync to achieve that but cannot due to it not being an option.

In my testing I’ve found that using the in game V Sync over NCP leads to a smoother experience. I think this may be because the way the in game v sync works it doesn’t limit your CPU to the extent that NCP does.

For me 120hz at 40FPS using the Vsync (20) in game seems to yield the best results.

Again, this is only my experience and I have no data to back this up.

1 Like

@Divij5549 thanks very much for sharing your sim settings. I would be interested in trying the settings you have described before knocking my refresh rate all the way down to 60, 75, or 100. If my PC could achieve smooth flying at 40 fps, well, that’s the real goal for all of us. Would you mind sharing your PC specs to compare to my own? I believe my cpu could handle the load, but my 2070 Super may not be beefy enough. Thanks to the others who have explained very well on this thread, I finally understand how refresh rates, V-Sync, and fps all relate to one another. And, how V-Sync in MSFS takes stress off the cpu. I also now understand (thanks to the video shared on this thread) how to make four other adjustments within the nvcp to take some of the load off of the gpu which will add a few more fps. Between all of these, I’m sure to get a very smooth experience . I can’t wait to fire up my MSFS tomorrow afternoon! I will report back results! Thanks again everyone!

1 Like

I’m using a Ryzen 5600x CPU with a 3070.

I use an ITX case because of the limited space that I have which also requires me to under-volt the GPU to manage temps / noise.

Your 2070 Super should be fine as long you can manage the temps.

With your set up you shouldn’t have a problem with 40 FPS. Though I only fly GA so your results may vary.

If you do run into problems, tweak the settings (Resolution + Shadows + Reflections) for the GPU and (LODs + Traffic) for the CPU till you find the balance you’re looking for to achieve 40FPS.

Let us know how you get on!

1 Like

Hi, I have a similar system to yourself, I have enabled freesync in my monitors settings, and have enabled GSYNC in the ncp, also I have set VSYNC on in the ncp, disabled the in game VSYNC, HAGS on and Game Mode on with 511.23 drivers.

I have not capped my framerate, but adapted my in game settings to decent/ultra quality, using track ir and have a very smooth experience with MSFS, usually getting around 30-40 fps in 1440p. You will need a high speed display port cable to use GSYNC in the ncp from your monitor, but for myself the smoothness in all my game titles is worth it.
Hope this helps, worth a try?

1 Like

@Rosen213 thanks very much, yes it is definitely worth a try. I am at the point where I want to try all viable options. It certainly feels nice not having to take shots in the dark lacking the necessary knowledge to know where to begin. I am so glad I reached out to this forum. You all sure came through!

1 Like

Thanks for posting this video. I just watched it & switched over to VSync ON 30 (I was on 60 although running with frames capped at 40 fps in NVidia control) and changed to the other settings he recommends, and FS is now running buttery smooth panning around (and taking off at Heathrow). I may leave my settings right there. I was getting small stutters panning views previously at dense scenery airports and panning during takeoff at those airports. Everyone should watch this. People seem completely fixated on FPS when it’s really not that important.

2 Likes

Well, it felt great finally to see a steady 30 frame rate! I tried 144, 120, 100, and finally 60 on monitor’s refresh rate, while making adjustments in the V-Sync settings along the way.

Funny, but my Asus gaming monitor which maxes out at 160 Hz does not offer a 75 Hz setting. Oh well, after listening to the posts on this thread as well as the superb video posted by @wilco3563 , I probably would’ve wound up at 60 refresh rate anyway.

I was most pleased with the smoothness of the sim, and I feel certain that the other settings suggested in the nvcp from the video also contributed to the performance.

I believe this exercise can be a benefit to other flight simmers who still need to fine tune their computers and Simulator to achieve the smoothest flying possible.

Many thanks to all who contributed your insights!
Happy contrails! :grin::airplane:

2 Likes

You are welcome. Glad it was helpful!

1 Like

I’m also wondering about a lot of the stutters seen by many Xbox users. Some of whom have their XBox refresh rates set way too high at 120Hz (in the O/S settings menu) which must be a complete waste of resources for FS which is probably running at closer to 30FPS which would be better off at fixed 30FPS@30Hz/60Hz refresh rate. VRR is another factor too. I can’t remember (as I don’t have an XBox any more) if you can lock settings at 30FPS@30Hz/60Hz. I suspect most people just choose the high numbers because they are there and think they have the latest tech & a high must be best rather than choosing what is required. Perhaps they set them for another game and the same settings are just used with FS. Some games do support 60FPS and a handful 120FPS, but with FS high refresh rates are just not required. I also don’t think many of them are analysing their XBox settings and correlating them to observed in game stutters. There are no FS ‘in game’ graphical options on the XBox, what the devs have decided for you is largely it. I think M/S should have a recommended settings for XBox refresh rates to avoid stutters. I also think they could/should have an optimiser tool that checks things over on PC and makes recommendations. I’m really not sure why one doesn’t exist as it would be useful. Like an autotuner or something that which interprets the dev mode FPS output figures on PC and auto tunes for fluidity. Maybe even offer a fluidity v framerate slider or something. I really don’t get why it’s left to so many people to find these things out on their own. Thankfully we have resources like this board for valuable information, and I Iearn something new each day here.

2 Likes

So i put the refresh rate of my Monitor to for example 100hz, don’t lock the fps in nvcp and choose vsync on and 20 in the Sim.
So that would give me 33 FPS?
Is that the right way?

I’m not sure if you are referring to the video, but the advice in the video includes changing some NVidia control panel settings (from defaults) and setting a 60Hz refresh rate for your monitor and in game a VSync ON @ 30.
In my case VSync On at 60 was smoothish after making the other control panel changes, but set to 30 was super smooth everywhere panning around (best I’ve seen with FS to date). I think having refresh rates tied closely to frame rates seems key so they system isn’t hunting around and stuttering in the process of trying to satisfy a high refresh rate output. The video does a much better explanation than me. 30FPS & smooth feels like more fps tbh. Your eye can’t visually tell difference at 30FPS or 60FPS in FS. Give me a smooth stutter free experience at 30FPS any day rather than 60fps above the clouds and 26fps with stutters at scenery dense airports.

2 Likes

I will look and try when i’m at home again