Historic Weather (as second timeline)

I guess what I’m thinking is that, if Asobo doesn’t want to implement this feature themselves, at least open up the weather system enough that something like ActiveSky can access and set it. Declaring that the weather system is to remain closed and then not implementing historical weather on Asobo’s own really makes MSFS, for many users, lag behind P3D and X-Plane – even behind FSX! – in usability and enjoyment.

6 Likes

Yes, indeed. It is hard to understand why they are so negative on this issue. After all, many of us hope this feature.

There must be a reason (Asobo or MeteoBlue) behind this which we don´t know.

3 Likes

Live weather in this sim is simply stunning. I think most would agree it’s one of the best aspects of the sim. Preset weather just doesn’t cut it when comparing. Please Asobo make this happen.

2 Likes

Jörg Neumann said the weather data is massive and storing any longer periods of it would be basically impossible. So I would just like to say that even if it were only possible to store and serve 24 hours of weather that would be a great improvement, for the reasons given above.

• You could go back and re-live the morning’s weather in the evening.
  • You would get “live” weather that matches the time of day when you want to change the time of day.
7 Likes

How many petabytes is the terrain data? Not impossible.

4 Likes

Agree, weather providers seem to manage just fine. Besides, with the new METAR weather system this should be easier now. Less data to worry about. :dash:

2 Likes

All they would have to do is use METAR only with historical weather, and there wouldn’t be a data issue.

1 Like

IMHO it’s not the question of this issue what it means technically. It’s a request from user perspective and that’s how it should be.

Appropriate sim weather for any given sim time is no doubt absolutely MUST.
Can’t believe that devs are not seeing its importance.
Otherwise just get rid of the sim time adjustment feature!

If historic live weather is technically such a burden,
At least we need several global static weathers sampled from last 1 year.
For example: every 2 hour global weather of every Sunday.
Then only 600 samples will cover a whole year of our planet.
Even without dynamic changing or transition, it will be better than current status.

3 Likes

Want this!

2 Likes

That would be perfect. That’s what I really miss. Since I can only fly at night (my local time) during the week, I want to replicate flights that occurred during the day and perform the same route and the same weather that the plane did encountered before.

2 Likes

i’ll go a step further, if the dataset is so large, have only 00Z, 06Z, 12Z, 18Z available to pick form. Those hours are what you typically see coming from weather forecasting simulations

1 Like

This is so important for a sim in so many ways:

It’s stopping me using or getting MSFS, especially with advanced airliners coming to the platform now.

1. The obvious one - flyign somewhere else in the world during their night, you get fog and all sorts of unrealistic weather that you don’t expec to see in the day time.

2. Can’t replicate a real-world flight from earlier in the day with that weather.

3. What if I want to plan a long-haul flight, but fly it the next day because I have other commitments? The plan is useless without historical weather.

4. Resuming a long-haul flight the next day, or coming back to it another time? It will be messed-up - all the weather has changed.

It is really is critical that this feature is implemented without delay. It’s ruining my ability to enjoy the flight sim at the moment to be honest.

Have their been any rumblings from Asobo? I don’t undertand, given the number of votes this has received, how they can think of it as not being an integral part of the sim if they’re not going to open up to 3rd party weather.

9 Likes

PS - all you eager beaver PMDG 737 users, and Maddog, and future long-haulers…get on in here and give us your vote! You’ll want this for long haul when the old four-holer comes out… Let’s get this important issue to 1000!

You Americans and Europeans don’t want to fly down to lovely Launceston in Tasmania on your Saturday off only to find the airport at 10 degrees and blanketed in fog in the middle of summer do you?!

6 Likes

I really wish that this vote would become some more attention. The post above explains it very well. If it is too data intensive we would not need a historical weather system including the full last decade. A year a month or even a week of availabe hiostorical weather would be a great step forward.

I love flying in Australia and new Zealand but sitting in Middle Europe I can barely fly there under daylight conditions with realistic weather.

Perfect summary, thanks!
I too think historical weather should come soonest, along with all the other desperately needed enhancements to the overall weather implementation.

@Asobo, if historical weather is an issue due to data size, just give us the last 48 hours, that would be perfectly sufficient for the time being.

3 Likes

As they officially plan to implement gliders historic weather is really a must - gliders can fly only in proper weather - weather from a preset cannot be as realistic as the real one (you cannot specify day cycle weather dynamism and variety in presets and even if you could it would be maddeness - how am I able to specify a grid, say of 4km resolutions points of weather info and how it changes in time and height?).
Best glider weather is not so common - even in the summer season, and is best at midday - when people are working or don’t want to waste good weather so are flying in RL :).

So please Asobo implement historic weather, or at least allow us to record/cache it locally by some region for reflying.

6 Likes

I imagine it’s technically quite simple and would help a lot of us who live in time zones away from where we like to fly. Yes please, Asobo!

9 Likes

+1 to that. It’s surprising that there are no addons with feature (if you can inject real time weather, you could inject historic weather the same way, except you don’t probe real-time data, but a database instead). No one seems to be bothered real-time weather only. Well, I do. What if I want to fly in Winter, or Summer? I don’t want to wait 6 months. Also, I live in EU but I fly a lot in US - live weather conditions just wouldn’t match my flight, I have to use presets. And last in FSX I could set up presets based on geography, so I could have varying weather during a longer flight - this is not possible in MSFS (yes, I can instantly change the weather theme, but that is highly unrealistic). So yes, please, give us the option of more control over offline weather! The point of a simulator is that I can simulate stuff I’m not doing in real life, so why should I be constrained by real weather only (or a static preset which is unchanged no matter how long I fly)? This should have been adressed already, if not by Asobo, but by a third party (yes, Rex’s software would be perfectly capable of handling this, they would just need a database of past weather).

1 Like

There are and can’t be no addons with this feature because there is no API, no third party can inject detailed weather - there was a request to open up weather api Open up the weather system to 3rd party devs but it was rejected.

Please don’t mix up possibilities of weather presets with possibilities of live weather - weather presets are more like a joke - very simplistic parameters nothing on par with large scale dynamic realistic weather - for it you should be able to setup baric centers, their movement and evolution with time and vertical airmass situation at many points (temp gradient, moisture with height) - no possiblity to set it in presets now - live weather on the other hand uses lots of meteoblue datapoints - that may be realistic, sadly no 3rd party may provide such data now.

This is why this topic is so important.

2 Likes