Home Cockpit with 3 Displays and Mockup Cabin - Advice

Hi thanks for the info,

Ya, I’m trying to figure out how wide I will need the main base to build the walls off of. I also want to set it up left side so it’s proper for my flight training and your right that it will feel very tight at 90 degrees. Thanks again - Mike

Great setup! Where did you get / did you make the stand that is holding your G1000s and standby gauges? I’m looking for something similar to mound over my HC Alpha Yoke.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi. Thanks! Sorry for the late reply. Been traveling a bit. The stand was designed in Fusion360 and cut out of baltic birch ply on my CNC. I 3D printed parts to complete the mounting from behind. All worked out pretty well.

2 Likes

simpit

For my simpit, Instead of CNCing a cutout for the honeycomb bravo, I got a company to custom make me an aluminum shaft extender, I tried to 3d print it out of PLA, (it was nowhere near strong enough) I don’t have the files anymore though. But its basically just a filleted shaft. It’s pretty easy to remake. I like either idea of just mounting the entire yoke through or the shaft through the panel. Another idea for someone if anyone is looking to make a panel. It just uses the same screw holes as the inside of the yoke uses to attach to the shaft, and then has the same holes on the end of the shaft extender to reattach the yoke, I like the design of the honeycomb alpha it’s a shame that honeycomb seems to be a dead company now.

2 Likes

Very nice design! I had a six pack of Flight Illusion C172 gauges and was trying to figure out how to mount them. I wound up designing 2 simple stands in Inkscape and had a fabricator make them out of 5052 aluminum, then powder coat them black. I’m pretty happy with how they turned out, but your design skills are on a much higher level than mine :).

The future lies in between.

The visual experience of VR is so unbeatable as the haptik feedback of an physical switch, button or lever is.

Until we have that at home we can do a lot of practise in VR or cockpit replikas, each with its limitations.

Agree that MR could possibly be the way forward. Because a sim can’t simulate the flying aspect as well as the procedural and systems stuff then physical cockpits still win out for that. It’s why mainstream commercial sims use physical cockpits. Perhaps that may change as other technologies mature.