How can we improve the state of discussion on these forums and avoid non-constructive negativity?

I think it was Arthur.C.Clarke who once said “Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic”

It is I who once said that “people generally neither care nor understand how, for example, a
radio works. This remains true, right up until the point where the radio stop’s working”.

An interesting article.
Somewhat of a beacon in these 'ere forums.

Regards.

3 Likes

IM Non relevant Observation, it often seems like folks can be very hateful, because it’s too easy to hide behind the keyboard. You’re not face to face with a live human being. The proverbial “Golden Rule” of past generations has gone by the wayside.

Still, I believe the majority of people are good at heart, and the silent majority hopefully still very much support Asobo’s genuine efforts. I know there’s no way I could do what they’ve achieved so far with my skill-set.

I hope they (Asobo) keep going. as I definitely tip my hat off to them. We’re getting there…albeit maybe a little slower than some desire.

2 Likes

The best way to stop the negative comments is to simply make the sim work and perform.
Simple.

3 Likes

In all seriousness: excellent and articulate post that touches on many points affecting all of us - worldwide - in this unprecedented time. Thank you for taking the time to compose your post, and to express so well your viewpoint. It is much appreciated.

This forum and the software we discuss - both flawed - has been a wonderful and constructive distraction from the difficult time we find ourselves in these days. This, and music. The Grateful Dead to be specific. (Great Halloween show last night!)

:smile:

1 Like

That’s true When the sim will work as expected ( I mean here like VaderPaw said in a previous post above) we will be all flying instead of logging in this forum. Personally I did not log here since the disastrous patch 1.9.3…

Hmm.
For me. I visit these forums BECAUSE I have been flying!
What could possibly [within reason] be better after a two or three or more hour long flight than the pleasure of ‘kicking back’ with a brew, hitting the forums and chewing the cud with my fellow simmers?

3 Likes

Yes be frustrated but be mature about it and be helpful. Everyone’s issues will help us all in the longrun. Having a big tantrum in the forum saying you’re uninstalling blah blah blah needs to just be deleted it’s toxic and annoying.

3 Likes

Actually enjoying a cold beverage “as we speak.” And flying!

:grinning:

1 Like

Well that’s a good reason probably… I’m just saying that if I was able to fly I would have no need to come to the forum to find what’s going on except for very particular information… not on a basic functionality… That’s my thoughts.

The solution is very, very simple. If you don’t like these types of posts don’t read them. A lengthy discussion about this is totally unnecessary!

I hear your pain bro.
So when I pose the question What could possibly be better than … , I absolutely think that yours is the greater NEED to be here in the forums.

I really hope you get things sorted out.
Then perhaps you will have the time and indeed the inclination to join me, feet up, as it were.

Thank you. Ditto!

Sometimes frustration gets the better of us. If you do not like what you read there is no real reason to comment, you just move on to the next article. Having said that, if you bought a new car and you had to take it to the showroom every few weeks to have a problem sorted and then once back home found that the fixed problem caused other sometimes more damaging problems surely it is to be expected that you would become vocally frustrated. This is exactly what is happening with MSFS. Yes we will get there but it should not be such a convoluted process. Lets not kid ourselves, Asobo and MS are not doing us a favour, they are a commercial operation in business for profit, and of course that is fine, but the reason they are “working hard” and “long hours” to sort problems is so that future sales can be assured.

2 Likes

The easiest solution would be to allow users with Trust Level
member or higher to flag posts/topics as “Nonconstructive, poisonous, repetitive etc” and auto hide / delete without moderator approval. If you’re worried that it will abused just increase the required trust level or number of flags. There are enough adults here to make it work. Relying solely on moderators hasn’t worked so far. @Jummivana

1 Like

I have followed my own advice and moved on to the next article :slight_smile:

1 Like

This already exists to an extent. When a topic or a post is flagged a score is calculated if that score surpasses the ‘Score to Hide Post’ threshold the post is automatically hidden until a moderator reviews the topic/post.

Here is an example of that calculation:

The ‘user accuracy’ is a score derived by calculating your previous flags, the more approved flags vs rejected flags, the higher your score.

This is a useful system because it means flags from one or more users can auto-hide a post if a moderator is unavailable. It also means someone who’s previous flags are unreliable is not going to be able to hide your post as well.

All flags, including posts that are autohidden still go to our moderation queue, will be reviewed and decided by the moderation team.

Have you guys considered/does discourse even allow for a means of adding a small text box to allow the flagger to provide some sort of input as to what aspect of the post/CoC theyre flagging? Obviously nothing crazy to keep mods from having to read a novel after every flag.

It might help bring a little more clarity/objectivity to individual flags given how vague a number of the CoC sections are.

If you click the ‘Something Else’ option, it allows you to provide a message. We encourage you to use this option if the post is not obviously inappropriate or spam.

Well look at that! I never even bothered to click the something else tab since I figured it literally just pinged you guys to look at something.

To be fair, the vast majority of posts are relatively tame, even from those that wont accept anything other than a sim with no major flaws (which isn’t an unreasonable want, although maybe unrealistic at this point in time).

If I felt the need to see the dregs of the interweb, without visiting “speciality” sites, I’d just look at comments on YouTube videos.

Darwin’s theory of evolution, though pretty accurate, still has some obvious flaws to sort out too. I have emailed him without any reply.