How do i STOP SteamVR from starting?

hi, so im using a Quest 2 with Oculus link software, but when i press tab + Crtl to put MSFS into VR mode, SteamVR starts up, is causes a problem for me because the PC struggles … im sure until tonight steam VR didnt start up automatically, but could be wrong… i need steamVr for other programs…
i have the Xboxgame pass version of MSFS2020 not bought from steam.
any thoughts on how i can stop it from starting up are appreciated, i renoved it from my windows start up list and made sure bootsrtaper wasnt loaded…but yest it STILL starts when i go into VR more… its driving me nuts !

1 Like

I would like to knowbhow to do the opposite. How to make steam vr the default vr launcher.

LOL…what is yours currently launching with ?

to be a little clearer about this post,
I installed some extra scenery from https://flightsim.to/scenery-map
in fact a large amount of city scenery over 3Gb … i found i cannot do that with my current PC in VR… ( fine in flat) so i was trying to cut down the load on the PC.

I have since removed said scenery from community folder and MSFS is running acceptably again , now, i just add the odd scenery item or 2 …PC is fine with that :O)

I suspect its something to do which what platform OpenXR is directed to in your registry. There is a guide on the flightsim wepage that explains how to change this. Let me know if you need help.

I might be wrong about this but I’m pretty certain that if you’ve got the Steam version of FS2020 then to play it in VR you have to launch it in Steam VR don’t you? Its certainly much easier to since you can just point Steam VR towards the correct Open XR registry in the Steam VR developer menu.

Also, as has been said before here. Only use the Oculus link software if you don’t have 5Ghz wi-fi. If you do have 5G wi-fi you’ll get noticeably better performance in the sim streaming to the Quest 2 via the remote desktop app. You’ll win back between about 5 and 10fps using this method.

as i mentioned, i Don’t have the steam version.

as i also mentioned … i do use oculus link software and link cable :roll_eyes:

Ah sorry. Misread that bit. Have you checked the Open XR registry? It may be running through Steam VR. You can open the developer tab in Steam VR and see where its pointing.

edit. Then again if you use Steam VR for playing other games then you might not want to mess about with that.

I’m really hoping Asobo optimise things better for the Quest 2 because its clearly a really popular headset but its currently a total faff to set up in FS VR mode.

very true, thanks

found it !
just edit your registry for the required Open Xr

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.