How to gain aviation, aircraft, and sim knowledge?

I am not joking but you may try to pass real PPL courses - of course theory only if you don’t have much money. Speaking with real pilots and instructors and making acquaintances is priceless.

I did like so and even had a few hours practice and now I understand that was worth the money

I think this was recommended so I might try to read a few pages before every flight although I am unsure if I will be able to find my determination enough to overcome the boringness of reading it via pdf.

I’ll try to finish the tutorials and then maybe do the flight academy and get back to reading this-

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/airplane_handbook/

That was going to be my recommendation. But you don’t have to read it all at once. Read a bit, practice in the sim, rinse and repeat. You’ll pick up a lot that way and you’re getting the info from a reputable source.

King Schools now has a YouTube channel with a lot of great material and they are the gold standard for ground school instruction. They’ve been around a long time.

I know I’ve posted some videos on here, some I claimed to be proud of, and then later on realized how bad I was. I watched a yt video explaining the jerk movement of certain planes and it made sense. Made me realize just b/c I’m flying and staying in control, in real life I’d probably be knocked out.

This video-

Oh, from a non pilot…thats a bit concerning…listening to him think you would think he is right, from a non pilot point of view.

See when I hear pilots on forum and google…I believe everything . Thinking they wouldnt be silly enough to give false information. Gullible (or nieve I can be) :roll_eyes:

Yeah this is an excellent example of someone who can very confidently pass on wrong information. This guy lives in Disney Land, and like him there are more people who have developed wrong theories about how things work and try to educate others.

Excuse my ignorance isnt there an affiliation, like Drs in UK have GMC Nurses have NMC to report bad practice…sorry if this is a stupid question. Obviously pilots are regulated in every country…

Yes there is, for classroom training there isn’t really any hard rules, basically anybody is allowed to do that, don’t even have to be a pilot. The ATO has to make sure the classroom instructor is performing to the ATOs standard.

Then for practical training there is a Flight Instructor (FI) license, for bigger planes Type Rating Instructor license (TRI) then there are all sorts of additional endorsements like instrument rating, night qualification, multi-engine. A beginning FI is “restricted” so he can’t sign off first solo’s until he gained some experience.

Anybody can of course say he is an instructor and post some nonsense on Youtube.

1 Like

Thanks for reply much appreciated. Ouch scary really, taking that theory into practice…but if you have a good teacher in practice and knock all that nonsensical theory out of your head.

At professional ATOs the standard of theoretical knowledge instruction is generally very good. Its mainly on the internet that people claim they are a pilot or an instructor and upload their pile of horse :poop: to YouTube.

1 Like

Thats very true sure there are people on here claim they are pilots, giving bad advice…or different “schools of thought” like most professional industries.

The “weathervaning” into the wind is a common misconception. As a certificated pilot, I myself made that same reference here on the forums some time ago and realized my mistake. On the ground? Yes. But In the air, no.

If you were to hold a straight heading in the air with a wind from the right, the plane wouldn’t “turn” into the wind. You’d just be blown off your course/track to the left happily flying the same heading. And the terms heading, is the magnetic heading you reference in the airplane, and where the nose is pointing, but course/track is your actual track across the ground. Course will change based on wind and I’m order for you to know what that is, it must be calculated.

To fly a specific course/track, you’d need to apply the appropriate wind correction to fly the appropriate heading to keep you on your intended course/track.

This is where ground reference maneuvers while flight training come into play. You also learn how to calculate the wind correction during cross-country flight planning. Today, modern avionics packages can display your course and/or heading. Many will allow you to orient your navigation display by either “North up” or “Track Up” for example.

2 Likes

I always tried to make this as simple to understand as possible when I was a ground school instructor. And it is in fact easy to understand if you reference to a boat crossing a river for example or a fish in a fish bowl. If you imagine the water being the air and the fish or boat being the plane you are halfway there :joy:.

I wrote this post long time ago on this subject, probably not the best, need to re-write it at some point:

4 Likes

Ground school. The only text book I ever loved.

I reach my today’s level after many, many years of experience. In my opinion the best way to learn something new (almost anything) is to do more reading, expose yourself into the topic, and practice, practice, practice. Don’t worry, everyone starts from nothing :slight_smile:

1 Like