How to use VR Controllers as HOTAS (Any headset)

There is really no use case for this other than lack of peripherals/having a wireless headset (Vive, Quest + VD, etc.), and it being super cool and comfy to use.
Using SteamVR Wheel you can get any SteamVR compatible headset to behave like basically any peripheral you wish, including a pretty decent HOTAS with one of the presets.
In depth explanation ahead

Summary

Instructions aren’t very clear, so I have found that the easiest way is once extracted and the specified vJoy version and settings installed going into steam_vr_wheel_dist\steam_vr_wheel\_joystick.py and changing self.amplification (Stick sensitivity) to between 2 and 4 with your text editor of choice. Then you run steam-vr-joystick.bat (or drag steam_vr_wheel_dist\open-vr-joystick.py into the adjacent python.exe if it doesn’t work for you) while your headset is in SteamVR and your controllers are currently being tracked. You can now map in MSFS trough vJoy device: triggers as buttons, trigger axis, face buttons, joystick click, joysticks as hats, grip button, and a plethora of axis that get activated when gripping the air (all of them adaptable if you try any of the other python scripts or know basic python): left controller forwards/backwards (throttle), right controller full rotation (Pitch, Yaw, Roll) with surprising amount of precision, etc… Important configuration, setup a 7-15% deadzone for your control surfaces (mainly controller roll and pitch), as when you release the joystick the position won’t be back to neutral by default but will stay locked in place to avoid the plane going berserk. With the deadzone, you have a bit of asistance to leave the joystick in neutral position without fiddling too much.

Please refer to the github page for any nerdy technical issues or feature requests, not me.

I personally find that the described settings make the game a lot more immersive, and if you get creative with software remapping you could avoid removing your hands from your controllers to get to that pesky mouse at all.

Also I’ve previously used this without any issues, which is launch and play, but oculus exclusive.

EDIT: If anyone knows AHK (Simple scripting language, easy to understand) and wants to play around with a direct Oculus Sensor and Position interface to achieve more customized results they can do so with the templates on the wonderful post here.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.