HP Reverb G2 blurry Image & Poor Performance 3090

Hello, there is an update for openXR develloper tool. You can get it on the MS store. It looks like you are running the previous version.

Also, with these settings, can you get 30 fps for motion repro to work properly?

1 Like

I did update it and now the game randomly crashes into Windows :confused:

Frames are not the best, I just purchased FPSVR from the steam store, so I’ll try and get some data back to this post.

what are your system specs

1 Like

specs in the Original post

Here’s the link to the item I picked up:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1477731-REG/hp_7dh40ut_aba_mr_vr1000_vr1000_headset.html

Absolutely, I had to switch back to defaults from “best quality”, the game was unplayable. The 2080 is the bare minimum to run this sim, even in 2D, let alone VR, so I can’t expect much more. I used the default settings earlier, and changed the ones in the Sim from medium to high. I get good enough results, where I can definitely wait, until I can get a hold of an XC3 3080 from EVGA. I’m actually a content creator using mainly Adobe, and I built this rig for photo editing and videos. I’ve been using the Quadro RTX 4000 before, which suffered badly under Premiere Pro. My next target was the RTX 5000 Quadro, but I could not justify the price tag of one, even used. I than realized, that NVidia added 10 bit color depth support to the gaming series, thus eliminating the need for a Quadro. As I was looking for a decent RTX mid-range gaming card towards the end of last year’s third quarter, they all started disappearing from the stores, everywhere. I was lucky enough to find an open box deal at a local Microcenter, and that was the last 2080 I’ve seen for months. I spotted a 2080 TI at the end of last year, which I was told they were holding in quarantine for a week, before it will be put up for sale. It disappeared, before I ever get a chance to even ask for it again, I’m sure they sold it to insiders. That’s the story, I’ll just wait, learn, and get the best out of what I have for now. It will take me awhile to overcome the motion sickness anyway, lol. I hope I was able to answer your question.

fpsVR will only work if you use steam’s OpenXR runtime as the default, and also be aware that currently there are still Nvidia driver issues that cause stuttering and lost frames if monitoring software (such as fpsVR or afterburner) are used.

Where is the game crashing? Any particular repeatable event that causes it like opening the world map?

It could be related to the bing maps conflict rather than anything else you did, seems to be causing crashes for a lot of people at the moment.

Yeah thanks, so that explains why your perf seems ok - it’s scaling the render resolution etc for you. Either way glad you’re having a good time with it!

Very interesting that the OXR app is assigning that res for a G1 based headset, makes it curious why they haven’t updated steam to do the same.

Just as a heads up. I have just recently upgraded my set up with the Reverb G2, and 3090 Suprim X.

I moved from a Rift S headset, and had tried the 2080 Super and 3080.

I run the sim on predominantly high settings, and try to balance it at what I think is the best combination of what I can actually see and reasonable performance.

My views are this:
The resolution demands of the Reverb G2 are exceptionally high in comparison to the Rift S. The experience a Rift S user has in comparison to a Reverb G2 isn’t the same.
For me at high settings, the difference between having motion reprojection on and off is that with it on, I can have it locked at 30 fps and have a generally smoother experience, at the expense of some warping every now and then. With reprojection off, I can only get 3 - 4 more FPS(which is 10%), but the experience is more stuttery and overall worse.
I run the sim at TAA 100%, but Open XR at 80%, and I have my 3090 OC’ed so I can get the most out of it.

In short, it’s definitely workable and I have the sim where I want it, but it becomes a case of getting used to different standards. I am generally a person who prefers higher frames in flight sim, and the Reverb G2 is frankly too demanding for most cards unless you have a 3080 or 3090.
In addition - where possible more optimisation needs to be done on Asobo’s side. I’m hoping World Update 3 will bring some fixes that may give us a few more frames.

1 Like

How did you lock it?

Not too sure but it sits there at 30 with reprojection always on

1 Like

I don’t agree with you. A 2080Ti is the minimum needed to play?? No way.

Sold my buddy my old Rift S and a 1070Ti. We’ve spent some time tweaking and now both enjoy group flights together in VR. He’s very please with the Rift S and 1070Ti combo, reports very smooth flights. Honestly, it comes down to modifying the settings manually, and understanding the compute impact each one has. There is a balance for most to be found, but it’s certainly not a “plug and play” experience yet.

Nah, that’s not what I meant, and certainly did not even mention the 2080 TI, which is a wishful thinking now, I only have a 2080. I really meant the 2080 as a minimum, if you wish to run the sim at higher detail settings, at a playable rate. If I wrote 2080 TI, it was a mistake, sorry. The bottom line, if your hardware delivers what you expect, that’s all that matters.

you can just set max fps at 30 in the nvidia control panel for MSFS too if you want to try it without reprojection

Not too much a fan of judder personally!

ideally it would be nice to set all these settings within the MSFT game rather than tinkering around with multiple apps and settings.

I love this game, but just as any other MSFT product, a beta has been released to the public with updates bringing in patches and enhancements over time.

I’ve finally got decent frame rates but i’m still not 100% satisfied with the VR quality vs a monitor.

Reverb G2 with RTX 2080 Super here.

Latest OpenXR WMR, set to 70%, repro is off
FS2020, set to 100% (!)

Most settings low, with textures and clouds high, one or two things on medium, TAA. Traffic/AI set to low.

Depending on the area or # users around, 22-35fps, with descent visual quality and smoothness.

Performance settings aside, I have found that FS2020 should always be set to 100% render resolution for the VR image to be sharp. If set lower, don’t know what FS2020 is doing with the image, but somehow image clarity seems to suffer more compared to all other settings affecting blurryness. Rather have OpenXR between 60-80%. Keep FS2020 to 100%. Optimize graphic settings and traffic settings to balance average performance/FPS.

Cheers

I find that keeping openXR at 100% increases the sweet spot and makes looking at the scenery much better.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.