[COMPLETE] I-40 Cross-Country - Barstow CA to Wilmington NC

Leg 7: Clinton-Sherman (Clinton OK) to Shawnee Regional (Shawnee OK)

Unlike the song lyrics, Oklahoma was not O.K. :slight_smile: on this leg. Note to self, do not attempt a Category II ILS landing in a new plane, especially since it’s not certified for that. Bad weather, ugh. I paid for the relatively good fortune making into Clinton with a big bill trying a short hop to Shawnee in the new-to-me Cessna 172 JT-A. More on that below - 111 nm 00:47:00 enroute.

Departing Clinton - I think I had a ground violation, but the only way to get to the active was to either backtaxi on it, or the parallel - the follies of a former Strategic Air Command base (which explains the huge ramp):

Almost immediately in the soup again, but this time the cloudbase is very low - I’m cruising at about 4,000’, a grand over recommended MEA, and you can barely see the ground below. Not good:

Fire up the NEXRAD - nothing but Red ahead

GPS says I’m over the southern end of Oklahoma City, but I’ll have to take it on faith - there is nothing out there but bad, bad weather.

Turning final - thank goodness I had the sense to pick a field with some IAP, and I’m not the only crazy one out here in a small plane - judging by a quick glimpse of someone’s position strobes before they melted back into the muck:

I’m at 1200’ AGL and I cannot see squat. Approach plate indicates there are two roads in perpendicular to the field end. Is that - yep - a flash of lightning confirms it, and I get a brief glimpse of how close I really am.

For the record - this is indeed a Class II ILS approach - when I break out the runway threshold lights, I am approximately 80’ AGL and (.12) nm distance - way below MDA and RVR for the aircraft I’m flying (and my skill level):

Bless this ramp marshaller - he stuck around waiting for me to bumble my way through a narrow taxiway to find my spot. I don’t think I’ve ever breathed a sigh of virtual relief over this sim until today. Amazing job Asobo on the WX!

1 Like