I Don't Use Rolling Cache Anymore

I agree 1000%. My internet is 500 up/500 down with low latencies and very stable. It doesn’t matter where I fly, for me the disk I/O and mgt of the cache is pure overhead and there is no reason to turn rolling cache on. Note, this works best in my environment and your mileage may vary.

… except that processing data packets rippling up the TCP/IP stack on your machine might actually produce more CPU load than a cheap local read from your storage device. I will skip the proof because I have none :wink:

But yes, you‘re essentially saving on internet bandwidth and cloud CPU power, you help reducing energy consumption, reducing CO2 output, stop climate change and help save the whales!

If that ain‘t worth turning on your cache then I don‘t know :wink:

1 Like

Whales?? I want more FPS!! :rofl: :whale: :airplane:

You can simply go to the Options menu, then General Options / Data, and the Rolling Cache options are at the bottom of that screen. There you can turn it off with a toggle.

You CAN have it both ways - that’s what the rolling cache is supposed to do. But more framerates isn’t an unalloyed benefit. We’re seeing the limits of that with the N4090. To fake more frame rates, you have to keep the old image in video memory, generate the next frame image, and then generate an intermediate frame - so at one point you have 3 frames worth of video data in video memory. You can drop the first frame after you’ve generated the image, but still …

So what happens when you go to resolutions beyond 4k? I’m running at 8k x 2k (to get the wide-screen panoramic effect), tried 12k x 2k, and I like it, and will be setting it up to run at 16k x 2k when I have time. (And each screen is running at 4096 x 2160, not 3860 x 2160, so true 4k - turns out there’s absolutely no difference running at full 4k).

8k is here today. It will be everywhere within a decade. And at that point, frame interpolation will be dead.

Ask, and you shall receive.
Electricity consumption of servers, per capita

Can we pls stick with the OP’s topic on the sims rolling cache option - thx

1 Like

well as far as electricity is concerned my roof is full of sunpanels and what I dont use I give back to the Net.
As far as Climate change is concerned, I only fly these days online, which is a significant downsize from what I had to do when working although I must admit that these warmer summers are rather good for my old bones.
And by the way, some of my best friends are from Wales :crazy_face:
Now if you had added ‘saving the Universe’ I might have reconsidered.
But seeing my obvious World Saving role now that you have pointed it out, I might keep the cache running. Probably. :wink:

As far as sticking to the topic is concerned, well in a way we are. Yhus far we only have looked at our own SIM performance. Clearly saving the Planet now needs to be added to the consideration.
(please dont write in, it has been a long day :upside_down_face: )

There’s plenty of us that can sympathize with the “old bones” part. My guess is that the majority of simmers are using an XBox, the minority are doing it “old skool” on a PC, and that the PC users tend to skew older.

But as we can see from the discussion, cache usage depends on your individual setup and situation. I’m using a 1 terabyte rolling cache and used the maps to copy the highest resolution parts of a few areas into the cache - I guess if someone had the time and the space they could cache the whole world. But since lower-resolution areas are dynamically upscaled anyway (but only if you’re running at a high enough resolution that you’d actually see the difference between, say, 1080, 1440, and 2160) the impact of the rolling cache is highly dependent on the user.

Or you could just have a bmf rolling cache and invite your friends to come over and fly everywhere so they can fill it for you.

Definitely a must though during network failures at higher resolutions. So since cache performance is so individual, I don’t think it’s even possible to come to some one-size -fits-all concensus. Which is okay - we’ll just see what works for others in similar use cases and see if it works for us.

This is an interesting point. I am not aware of the actual numbers but have always thought it was the other way round.

By the way to cache the whole world would require a storage capacity in excess of 2 Petabytes. I fear my pension wont stretch to that.:wink:

I seriously doubt that…

Game Pass etc. there’s well over 2 million registered Xbox MSFS users and that is old data.

And although I can’t remember either dev or product they quoted 90% of their sales were through the marketplace which certainly suggests X-box to me although a fair few will be casual PC gamers that have no idea that Flightsim.to etc. or even this forum exist.

1 Like

Maybe not today, but a decade from now? Bulk data storage costs are dropping like crazy. :slight_smile: Gives you something to look forward to. Then again, at that point “the whole world” will also include a lot of street-level high-detail data, and the interiors of public spaces, so 2 petabytes would probably not cut it by then.

Look at who’s building elaborate set-ups. It’s not the 20-somethings. It’s the retirees playing around with their workshops, 3d printers, and multi-display computer setups. We have the time, the kids are gone, there’s no real issue about turning part of your space into a crazy flight simulator/media center on steroids.

The days of PC are most definitely numbered, in the not too distant future only devs will need the platform for production and commercial games will all be virtualised - meaning even those devs will have no say on performance and they will be stuck with the same fps as everyone. Eventually quantum will lead the way but I would imagine that many of us over sixties won’t ever get to see it.

…and the elaborate setups and increased hardware spending will get better AFTER the GPU manufacturers STOP gouging us. We are thoughtful, patient and frugal. The GPU manufacturers forgot the frugal part.

I remember that being said about 2 decades ago and then again about 1 decade ago.
And now look at the enthusiast market… It will cycle too.

2 Likes

Open your eyes it’s happening already. Xbox is just the start and cloud computing still very novel. Although there are some very clever enthusiasts they won’t stand a chance unless they can compete with the big software houses and AI.

There’s a new player in town. The Arc 770LE has great price-performance. I’m about to post screenshots running in 16k x 4k from inside the cockpit. The side views look weird, but if you were to print it out and fold the paper properly, the side views are also awesome, as ar the popout MFD and PFD. I’m running dual Arcs, and the performance is great - I don’t see anyone running dual 4090s posting similar screenshots.

and I did not mean to say “Seems like” at the beginning of my sentence. I have corrected that.

1 Like