I wish we had ANY of the features we had in FSX

There is no doubt MS changed their approach for this, their latest flight simulator.

Rather than bulid on previous versions, they decided this one will go for the visuals. From the very first announcements and trailers, this was being emphasised. To achieve this, they went to a firm with the necessary experience, who then to a large extent built the simulator from scratch. And to a large extent, they have supplied what they promised - the most visually realistic flying experience (if not always the most accurate).

But, because of this choice, many of the things present in the previous versions were omitted, as the OP and others have pointed out. From documentation of the basic sim (leaving everyone to work out how to do things either by trial and error, or by word of mouth), to main aircraft types (I loved gliders in FSX), a full variety of missions, seasons, replays etc. These were present (and for the most part working) in the FSX at launch.

They sort of acknowledged the limitations in the basic sim when they said they would support and improve FS2020 over the next 10 years, but I don’t think users realised at the time how much work there was still to do. In FSX I often got a pleasant surprise when I found something extra it could do. In FS2020, it has been the reverse, expecting it to do something, and then finding it can’t, or finding a “known bug” not even scheduled to be fixed yet.

In retrospect, I think they made a mistake concentrating so much on the scenery, at the expense of a true flying experience. At the current rate of progress, I don’t believe they will ever get all the problems fixed, and it seems they don’t even intend trying to replicate all the good features of previous sims now missing in FS2020.

But I may be proved wrong, if I wait long enough.

2 Likes

Please explain to me how to pause the game when I’m on offline traffic and weather. Earlier it was suggested to fully pause the sim using the ‘pause on’ and ‘pause off’ bindings. This is false, the sim continues. You see clouds moving, traffic moving and the time continues.

and even if there is a full pause in the sim, which there is not, I feel like the full pause should be the standard pause instead of the ‘active pause’.

1 Like

You can get the list of navlogs whilst flying just go to the top of the screen if you click on the settings bit where you choose what items you want displayed there is a navlog icon

the only way i am able to pause it is to hit escape button

1 Like

Even that doesn’t fully pause the sim. :wink:

1 Like

Fully agree, some more items are listed here:

1 Like

Exactly. LittleNavMap offers more functionality than you will EVER get from whatever gets developed for the sim itself. No need wasting time in this.

1 Like

Excellent list, I had missed that post !

1 Like

You are assuming that everyone that was going to buy MSFS did that on release, and that when it is released on XBox, all the XBox users that will buy the title, will do that on day one.

There are millions of PC users out there that currently do not have MSFS. I am pretty sure that some of those will eventually take the plunge. What about households that have more than one generation all flying on Mom/Dad’s computer? Unless they are the 30 somethings living in the basement, I expect they will purchase a copy when heading out on their own.

As the sim develops and becomes more mainstream with the XBox release, I will bet that PC sales will continue to grow. Pretty sure the bean counters have it figured out. A corporation does not make a commitment to a ten year commercial project without planning on generating 10 years of profits. Might start out with some lean years or even some losses but shareholders WILL get their pound of flesh.

You are partly correct. I would expect an inverse exponential curve ; an initial big interest from those who obviously would go for such, with a rapid drop tending to almost nothing.

Especially so for this, as it’s price is not exactly an off the cuff purchase and it has significant hardware requirements.

Now THIS statement earns my Golden Truth Award for the year.

I couldn’t agree more and I think maybe given their past track record it left a really bad taste in peoples mouths such as mine in so far as a long term commitment to their product. They can say anything they want, but if you look at their record it paints another story such as what you brought up. Time will tell I guess.

This one is built on previous versions ; FSX, itself a graphics upgrade for 2004. The things that are all new are the graphics (obviously) the dials and the avionics (which barely work).

I think there are two pauses, the active pause which doesn’t, and an actual pause which is where you escape to the options menu. Annoyingly there is no just ‘stop’ pause.

Even in the menu the time advances. :wink:

The one core, fu damental thing that I miss and mourn, is a working radio comms system that would allow users to communicate and thus make multiplayer ATC sessions practical, as we have had for so many years. Of course the SDK would also have to broadcast multiplayer traffic!

I live in hope…

2 Likes

Yes, but with so many things omitted or changed, the resemblance is hardly noticeable.

Asobo based on FSX on certain things because they want to save time, not because those in FSX is great. Some of the features OP asks for, although exist in FSX, are so broken and half bake that many of us would pay money for alternative (luckily some alternative are free too).
Take replay for example. In FSX if you replay any 3rd party aircraft, you get terrible result since it records only the location and orientation of the aircraft. Asobo uses a 2nd PC for their replay system, which means they are serious about the feature (although requiring another PC wouldn’t play well with this community :wink: ), and leaving the feature after launch giving them a chance to think about how 3rd party are building the aircraft too.
Another one would be charts. Asobo partner with Navblue to give us up to date chart. Unfortunately the chart+ update is delayed due to Covid situation, and being work in software, I can see how hard it is to do any partnership this year.

1 Like

They were too busy implementing elephants and giraffes. How you dare to ask for basic stuff like that

1 Like

I just hit “p” for pause and “ctrl-p” to un-pause. It works for me to take pics etc. Not sure if the clouds still move or the AI traffic continues. What does it matter?

1 Like

Deer Santa

Pweeze gib us tower biew Bak fer fwitesImuwatur.

merry kwismass

liL’ Jefery :crazy_face: