I7 2700k. Where To go- and when!

Well, it finally looks as though the big day is here. I order tomorrow and the only big difference from the spec listed earlier, is that I have gone for the MSI Gaming X Trio 3080 as a slight upgrade. I also have a 1TB gen 3 NV!E to put into it as a dump storage and maybe a home for the community folder. Still unsure about this, but with OS on a 1tb Firecuda 530 and the sim on a second, 2TB Firecuda, it should be good to go.

I was a bit hacked off to find that the monitor I had in mind, a Huawei Mateview GT 34 inch, had gone up in price 50 quid when I logged on to their site today and therefore might forego that little pleasure for now. I am feeling guilty enough as it is :slight_smile:

Well, the deed is done. The new PC arrives hopefully around the 15th and I am looking forward to it. The leap from i7 2700K to i9 12900K should be noticeable.

In preparation today, I have been working out how best to put the new one in place and with a good few years of adding peripherals to the mix, I eventually decided to take the whole lot apart and relay everything again. What a nightmare! There is a quite a lot of stuff, I grant you but how even USB leads can get caught up when you are threading them back from behind a desk, how power bricks and leads get tangled and this despite best efforts to cable manage and prevent exactly this sort of situation. It is incredible how many power leads there are and all in all, it has been an amusing afternoon. I just don’t think that I could face spaghetti bolognese again for a few weeks.

I will close this thread after the new machine is set up and running and I would like to take this opportunity to once again thank you all for your knowledge, your insights and your enthusiasm. With your help, the son of i7 2700K is on the way.

1 Like

Understatement!

Have fun, and enjoy the new PC smell :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, it is here. Just trying to download the sim now and still coming to terms with it all, but the lighting is certainly impressive. A few possible things to raise with Cyberpower, but at least, it is home now and it works.

Setup will take me the best part of a week, as I do have to say hello to senior management occasionally and she comes first. I will report back with a running report but it is just playing the mega download game at the moment.

Edit

I got the chance during build, to upgrade the Ram from Dominator DDR5 5200 to 5600 and went for the Gaming X Trio GPU. So far no controls plugged in or configured, but a quick functional test with everything at Ultra, was to spawn at Heathrow with live weather and got my locked 60FPS easily. The cooler got up to 34 degrees for the CPU and after a fair wait, 63 on the GPU, so things look hopeful. Mind you, I have had a CTD or two, which warrants further observation. So far it all looks promising.

3 Likes

This all sounds very exciting, let us know how the ‘beast’ performs with MSFS 2020! :smiley:

BRGDS

Charles.

Well, life is full of surprises isn’t it? I hate to say it, but it is so far, a life of pain. All is loaded but in the first seven days, I get about as far as the first Wright brothers flight before a CTD or twice, a BSOD. It needs work now to take it all apart and reconnect peripherals one by one to attempt to narrow it down. One thing that I have already discounted, is community folder issues as it is exactly the same with or without addons. I will report back after a few hours of trying to narrow it down further over the weekend, when I next get time. Will keep you posted!

Edit

An idle thought crossed my mind and I wonder if anybody has had issues running the sim with iCue installed? There is a lot to run through sequentially to try and nail this down and as yet, I am not tearing my hair out, but I do seem to remember reading somewhere that iCue can do odd things occasionally.

A suggestion. Start by taking MSFS out of the equation, and just focus on your HW stability. There are several tools out there to stress your CPU, GPU, and RAM that could help you narrow down what the issue is. You may also want to monitor your power usage, since a dodgy power supply can cause a lot of odd issues. HWInfo64 is a great utility to have running in the background while you’re running stress tests. You can monitor temperatures, power draw, voltages, etc
 Good luck.

Oh, there are also a few YouTube video’s on HW debugging that might be good to watch. Good luck!

1 Like

It is all a bit bloody at present to be honest and I think that the machine is going to have to go back to the other end of the country to get sorted out. I will have a chat to them on Monday, but there is so much wrong that I can’t see any realistic alternative. Looks like that old 2700K is going to get pressed back into service again :slight_smile:

Too early to say for sure, but I have just completed my first and only flight on the new machine. There are many problems, but today I dumped the existing video drivers which were updated last week and reinstalled the latest version. A quick hop to London at low level in real weather with everything at ultra, suggests that the locked 60fps is a doddle and even right in the centre of the city, I saw no lower than 54fps so we might finally be on to something. Much to do yet, but it does sound promising for now.

1 Like

Congrats! What resolution is running if I may ask?

1440 on the 3080 and a 15 inch touchscreen and also a 22 inch 1080 monitor on the integrated graphics, so pretty much endless horsepower available. Temps all low!

1 Like

Well folks, that just about wraps this thread up and thanks to your goodselves, your insights and your help, I now have a decent machine that is going to take the strain for the foreseeable future, so thank you all very much indeed.

What, you may ask, of the ancient 2700K that has got me here? It goes a storm and will remain in use, but at lower level now, for mapping, planning and other side functions to the sim. It still flies and now that the load has come off it, the fans and radiator can all be set back to a more balanced performance level and a useful semi retirement. It has been and still is, a brilliant machine which would still take some fairly serious money to replace.

Thank you one and all and if I ever meet any of you, remind me to buy you a drink.