Implement weather and terrain API’s for aircraft developers to implement accurate radar, predictive windshear, EGPWS, and METAR/wind uplink

Totally agree. Radar implementation with limitations is better than no implemantation at all.
Perhaps they can offer a separate branch like experimental with wx, terrain and tcas as long as the SDK does not support full implementation.
Sometimes you have to live with what you have.

1 Like

exactly at the moment especially the radar and important in parts of europe at night this is early and a lot of bad weather more snow is coming next week and quiet fbw they don’t think about the user so i hope they are watching the Forum and that they reinstall Asobo’s radar as soon as possible

@Blue2hark
There is no WX radar for a reason. It was removed deliberately due to severe performance and technical issues that’s why they are asking for the API.
Anyways, what’s the point of having it if you can fly into a tornado without a single problem?

1 Like

A properly flown approach ensures you won’t fly into a mountain. FBW’s modifications help make sure the plane behaves correctly, and are enormous improvements over the stock plane.

Ah, you mean the terrain radar. LOL.
BTW, for some reason FBW A320 is an absolutely free product and the team does care about users but they owe nothing to anyone.

True. But the EFB in the FBW does render rain on the map. So the basic data is there and accessible.
I am just wondering why drawing the echos on the EFB is better than drawing them on the ND.

1 Like

EFB is drawing IRL precipitation, probably from sites like windy, ventusky etc. that have data from actual weather radar echoes.
It doesn’t mean you’ll see the same precipitation ingame, most probably you won’t.

1 Like

I totally understand that. However, in my opinion this is still better than nothing. I have used the EFB to circumnavigate larger weather systems and most of the time it was quite accurate.
And about the ‘not realistic enough’ argument: with wx, terrain and TCAS inop, we all would be grounded as most flights would be legally impossible.

No, we won’t. MSFS is not at that level yet and may never be.

it becomes heavy that they pick up things when it will be necessary to wait 1 year for me I will switch to XP12 no radar in a plane I do not see the IRL service you do not fly without RADAR

1 Like

Hey everyone,

I’d like to clarify some things here.

Our priority when adding the WXR back into the ND was performance. We encountered some FPS issues when integrating the native weather/terrain radar which caused a high frame rate impact. As our priority was and still is to complete the FMS and bring it to a level where we can start to have it in line with the most complex A320 addons, we wanted to push forward the implementation of that first.

We are looking into possibly shipping our own terrain databse to alleviate the lack of terrain display, and are constantly evaluating if the stock WXR could be added in a performant manner.

12 Likes

wonder if Asobo is still “looking in to this” or if they will just forget about it.

3 Likes

Latest Development Update mentions progress on the API.

Dev Mode

• Work has started on the weather API for WASM (exposing the same bitmaps that are available in JavaScript).

On a slightly offtopic note, the new way of giving extra details about the first 10 wishes is great to see! Just the kind of extra communication we really appreciate!

4 Likes

January 20, 2022… 10 months now.

Is this what’s holding up PMDG?

2 Likes

I just voted this up as it did not seem to be an issue for me. Until now! I am using FS-Flightcontrol ever since P3Dv3 for approach training. There I could set the weather between CATI and CATIIIc. For reasons out of my understanding this does not work any more since the latest update of both MSFS and FS-Flightcontrol.

Now this is the first time I see a message popping up in the latter software “Most of the weather related functionality is not yet supported by the new MSFS (FS2020). There is simply no way in the SDK provided by MS/ Asobo so far to interact with the simulator weather engine. As soon as this is added to the SDK we will add support for this as well!”

So why did it work before? What has changed? I´s disturbing to see that things that used to be just fine stop functioning…

please, no. WorkingTitle have basically disappeared into the depths of MS since they were contracted, and their improvements still haven’t made it into the base game over a year later.

2 Likes

the bitmaps that are available in JavaScript (i.e. the default weather radar images) are absolute nonsense and of no use to anybody. they are ridiculously exaggerated, showing light rain/cloud as bright red severe turbulence, and moderate rain as magenta zones of insta-death. this is why we need a proper weather API, so the study-level plane developers can generate realistic weather radar images.

Asobo always errs on the side of exaggeration, probably because it looks impressive to the casual observer (so, exaggerated icing, exaggerated mechanical turbulence at FL400 over the Alps, exaggerated towering cumulus clouds everywhere instead of stratus, exaggerated weather rader, and so on).

14 Likes

What’s the latest here? Has there been any news from Asobo during dev streams?

2 Likes

According to the latest Wishlist, this will start to happen in SU10. The bigger issue, from what I’ve just been told, is why they’re working on WASM first and not javascript (FBW uses javascript, I believe). Sigh.

Darn. That’s why it should be through an API abstraction layer, which is what this wishlist item is saying. Then, it doesn’t matter what language is requesting the data. Service-based architecture 101 :frowning:

3 Likes