Instantaneous Frame Rate Drop

Just before World Update 8 was installed, I was flying the Diamond DA62 and during the flight, the frame dropped from a steady 30 fps to15 and stayed there. I had not made any changes to graphics settings in months and had not recently added anything to the Community folder. I’ve turned the computer off and restarted, tried different planes, emptied the Community folder and nothing changes. Frame rate still sits at 15 fps. I had it initially locked at 60 fps in the in-game graphics settings and reduced it to 30 fps; still no change. The graphics card is an ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 3080 OC 10GB that I have done nothing to (i.e., straight from Newegg. Since I’m 80 (and definitely not a computer whiz) I have no idea where to begin to look for problems. Is this most likely a hardware issue or a software problem? I don’t own any other games to test it on either. Is there some way to test the graphics card to see if it is working properly? Any help would be much appreciated. (PS To do what testing I have done, I had to download and install WU 8.)

1 Like

I really don’t know what your issue is.

Sometimes updates can move graphics sliders.

I find. MOST of these issues stem from your Terrain Level of Detail being set too high for your CPU. You may want to check where it is set, and roll it back to half that amount and see if your issue isn’t quelled. That is the most likely culprit. That slider taxes your CPU more than your GPU so it can cause a bottleneck in spite of your very good graphics card.

1 Like

I’m at a total loss now. Tried your suggestion by lowering Terrain Level of Detail from 100 to 50 and Voila! Frame rates increased to 30 exactly where they were before

1 Like

Then increased Terrain Level of Detail back to 100 and frame rates remained at 30.
I doubt that the Terrain Level of Detail setting was the problem, since I’ve had steady frame rates of 30 for over a year. The instantaneous drop indicated to me that most likely something had become corrupted, or that a partial failure of something had occurred. Just my thoughts, however. Not a tech expert’s opinion by any stretch. Anyway, thanks for the help. It appears the problem is solved at least temporarily.

Components of my system:

• Intel Core i9 10850K 3.60GHz (5.20GHz Turbo), 10-Core 20-Thread
  • ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 3080 OC 10GB
  • [ ] ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E Gaming ATX Motherboard, WiFI 6
  • G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz
  • 1TB Intel 665P M.2 NVMe SSD
  • RGB AIO 240MM Liquid Cooling
  • 750W 80 Plus Gold PSU
  • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
1 Like

Yeah, you are likely main thread limited.

Don’t mistake better performanice away from an airport for better performance everywhere.

Your performance is always worst on the ground or close to ground in a big city.

Everyone, even folks with faster CPUs than yours get main thread limited on occasion.

There is no way that CPU can keep up with it all.

Then when folks get in the air and their performance improves again they often make the same assumption you made. But your CPU isn’t being taxed in the air like it is on ground.

For smooth performance at all times, you have to configure around the slowest times MSFS performs, not when it runs at its fastest.

Your i9 chip is fast, but that clock speed isn’t and clock speed matters most in MSFS… lower clock speed is when a main thread becomes the bottleneck the fastest, especially at airports near big photogrammetry cities. MSFS works one core above all your others, and once that one core hits 100%, the rest of your machine must slow down to the pace of your slowest core. Otherwise, things would get out of sync.

My CPU clock speed is even slower than yours and I run at TLOD 50, so I am sure you can do better… but you may also need to look at your Object Level of Detail settings, your traffic settings (especially ground aircraft traffic) and make sure your clouds are not set to Ultra as all those settings impact your CPU more than your GPU.

And even at busy airports, my slow PC goes through bursts of running MUCH faster… but it never stays that fast, so I must optimize around how it runs when it is slowest.

Let me find a thread that will walk you through the process in far more detail than I can provide.

Here you go. Read through Grabber’s posts in this thread. Something is wrong with your configuration right now and you are showing all the signs of your CPU being the bottleneck. This can be an issue for everyone. Even the fastest CPUs cannot do everything in this game without an occasional CPU bottleneck stutter, and you do not have the fastest CPU.

Your graphics card is more than enough to get decent GPU performance but your CPU isn’t helped by a good graphics card. Some MSFS graphics settings tax the CPU instead of your GPU.

Hope this helps.

1 Like