Iris have released a T-6 Texan II - anyone have it?

I think what’s being discussed is an integration in the current avionics, not another panel.
Thanks for this suggestion, seems good, will try later.

@dagwit00001 You can also give it a go by going to their discord, sometimes they’re available in the voice channel…

Yes true but this can be integrated into cockpits. Not sure what is involved but a few planes have done it really well. Wilga, JPL 152, Vans RV-10, Mini 500 helicopter and some others.

Ah nice to know

I know Iris did a great job on the T6 II in X-Plane, though the HUD didn’t work in VR there either. I’m watching to see if this one is worth the purchase.

Any video reviews up on youtube yet ? I haven’t managed to find any.

PC Version

Overall, I feel this is a solid initial release. My first jump into the addon at altitude (before reading the manual) was a challenge. The HUD was blurry, I didn’t know how to interact with the avionics, and I didn’t have NWS keybound (different keybind [Toggle G Limiter] used than most other addons).

This addon does have a “moving map” in the Tactical Situation Display mode.

The avionics of this addon seem more functional than in the IRIS PC-21. The IRIS T-6 can navigate just like most other “modern aircraft” addons within MSFS - using TCN, VOR, NDB, and GPS. I was able to successfully fly an RNAV approach and also capture an ILS.

So overall, it doesn’t seem to have the acceleration of the PC-21, but the T-6 addon is a great evolution of their initial PC-21, and includes many of the things people complained about with the PC-21. I still use the PMS50 GTN750 and Navigraph in game panel to plan and/or adjust my flight plans, as I don’t think there is any flight planner in the avionics of the addon.

Things I find irritating:

• Nose wheel steering is somewhat useless and the addon requires some speed and the use of differential braking. Slow tight turning is almost impossible compared to other addons, but not difficult to adjust to.
  • The map options on the DATA page “L4” didn’t work for me, so I couldn’t change what I wanted displayed on the TSD moving map nor the NAV map.
  • The flight model seems to restrict rolling the aircraft past 90 degrees in certain circumstances with lower airspeed and G loaded - i.e. I seem unable to roll into a dive unless I unload G and neutralize the rudder. Although this is good training to reinforce Basic Fighter Maneuvers (BFM), it was an unexpected restriction I encountered in MSFS - I don’t know if that’s how the real aircraft behaves. [I also didn’t turn on Rudder Assistance as the manual suggests, as I want to fly other addons too]
    Positive notes:
  • This addon prompted me to switch to DLSS/DLAA to address HUD blurriness. Happy with having to learn and ultimately employ this technology. I never strayed away from TAA previously.
  • Works fantastic in VR

No major bugs for me to complain about, and the IRIS T-6 does the job for me. It includes multiple liveries from several countries, so the addon adds another airframe that is “indigenous” for me to fly in those regions.

I like the IRIS T-6 :smiley: Maybe the Blackbird T-6 will be better, but I did want the upgraded avionics version. An AT-6 Wolverine would be really nice.

1 Like

Thanks for that, useful comments. I asked on one of the preview streams about navigation, the answer was in cockpit you can dial in radio beacons or follow a GPS route set in the world map. I never thought of using a GTN in a popup instead of in the panel to set the GPS route in flight.

Sounds like you rate it as a good upgrade / evolution from the PC-21. We use the T6C here but the main difference seem to be wing hardpoints so I might havr to pick this one up.

Cheers,

Don’t mention the Tutor.

Iris have been very bad at communication. I emailed them a month ago to find out why they haven’t released the latest bug fixes to the marketplace version of the tutor. No response after multiple chases.

I may have got a response if I’d purchased direct but who knows. They still got my money so I’m still a customer that they can’t be bothered to respond to.

For this reason as much I’d like to check out the aircraft, they are not getting anything more from me until their communication improves.

1 Like
1 Like

Do you have a key bound to the “Toggle G Limiter” function?
Per the IRIS T-6 manual, that is the key to toggle the NWS on and off. When it is ON, it seems quite responsive to me.

So I bought the Texan at the start of the week but computer issues meant I’ve only had a chance to have a couple of flights in it, the first of which included flying down Loch Lomond in Scotland at full tilt and forty feet above loch level. Not that I couldn’t do that in the PC-21 but in the Texan I know I’m doing it because I’ve now got a radalt, yay! No screenshot, alas, as I was rather busy not rapidly disassembling my aircraft.

IRIS has, wisely I think, decided not to include the HUD whose development was causing problems, and instead currently offers only one HUD option in the MFD Configuration page, which says it’s the F35 HUD. And it certainly looks like it, though as @Kapustick mentions above, it’s a bit on the blurry side, especially by comparison:

You also have to be careful how far from the HUD you place your head - not too near, not too far - or it’ll start to jitter. Though that wasn’t too bad a problem once I realised what needed to be done.

The autopilot is accessed through the AFCS option on the MFD:

I’ve had mixed results engaging AFCS Power. I’ve had occasions when it engages Pitch and Wings Level (not Roll) and occasions when it hasn’t done much of anything. Needs further investigation, as does use of the Pitch option.

Note that the three figures for Altitude, Heading and Vertical Speed in the upper right of the MFD can be set in the Up Front Contol Panel if you click on the associated MFD button. The trick to changing height is to set a target altitude, click on the bottom VS button to start the climb or dive, then use the upper VS button to access the UFCP to set your target VS. Remember to set the minus option if needed - if you set climb when you want dive, or vice versa, the resulting altitude change will carry on till you run out of altitude one way or the other.

Anyway, I’m pretty sure I’m going to get my money’s worth out of this purchase, which was, I thought, not unreasonably priced for what it offers.

Flew down from RAF Leuchars to the George Best Belfast City Airport this evening. Here’s the end of the flight and this post:

2 Likes

Hello,

I have a problem with the Texan II FMS.
I can’t change wpt on the flight plan to do a direct to for example. Do you have the same problem? If not, could you tell me how to do it?
Regards,

I don’t think ther’s a flight planner. I use the PMS GTN750 with the in game panel to edit my flight plans with this addon.

1 Like

It’s not a question of creating a flight plan, but simply of changing waypoints, in flight when flying with autopilot, as can be done on the GPS or FMS of most aircraft. Most FMSs and GPSs have a “DIRECT TO” function that lets you select a particular waypoint. I couldn’t figure out how to do it on this aircraft.

This addon currently doesn’t have an interface/access to control or edit GPS waypoints. (i.e. edit any GPS flight plan you may have created in the World Map and then spawn with). So, to answer your original post: Gee…I couldn’t find a way to input a Direct To waypoint either.

Also, it navigates natively with VOR, VORTAC, TCN, and captures LOC and ILS beatifully. But wait…there’s more… you can contol those Nav frequencies directly in the UFCP :smiley::+1:

1 Like

What’s Cape Air doing over in England?

1 Like

is this available in the marketplace?

Well, let’s see:

1. Belfast isn’t in England, it’s in (Northern) Ireland, and there are places in Ireland where you’d be made to feel very unwelcome indeed for daring to suggest otherwise.

2. Batman and Robin were holidaying in Belfast when they realised they’d forgotten their capes, and obviously Bruce Wayne, being incredibly rich, keeps an airline on standby for just such an occasion.

3. The boring answer - as I’m sure you know - is that Cape Air is one of the default liveries for the Britten-Norman Islander, and MSFS has neither Artificial nor any other kind of Intelligence for determining which liveries - or aircraft for that matter, other than perhaps not loading in airliners at grass strips - get shown at which airfields.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
The documentation on this point is confusing, as is the DIR button on the UFCP, which suggests that this function exists.
Regards

Agreed.

It stated that the DIR function “for this simulation” was to view and edit user created waypoints using the “MRK” function (selecting the format used in Navigraph for GPS coordinates) - which would be okay if we could actually edit the then created waypoint on the UFCP - Since Navigraph provides GPS coordinates in a LAT/LONG format, I thought this would be a workaround way of inputting a Direct-To GPS waypoint by editing a “created MRK waypoint in the UFCP”. However, the DIR function doesn’t seem to see waypoints created with the MRK function, or the MRK function doesn’t actually create a user waypoint.

This was too much troubleshooting for me (non-pilot / casual simmer), and it is why I suggested the GTN750 in my initial response.