IRIS Simulations Jabiru J160 and J170

Iris are not very good imo at air config programming…i once had to edit their bede 5 jet and uploaded my edited cfg file to Flightsim .com their flight dynamics were way off the numbers! I did a repaint of their bede 5 but included some edited flight dynamics to reduce performance and speed more in line with reality and not the Way too fast 370mph+ their original gave!..(the Bede-5j jet version only did 300mph!)

1 Like

Your first post here? you sure you dont work for IRIS? :joy:

I’m not sure which series our J160 was so there can be some small differences because of that. But otherwise it is pretty similar to the one I flew once I put some more weight in it.

Doing a circuit seemed very similar to what I used to do though it can be hard to tell 100%. In a real aircraft you don’t look at where the throttle is or just go and give it a big whack of power. You do it by feel and based on the performance you are getting at the time. If I do that in the sim, treat it realistically, then it is a pretty good aircraft.

I’d be interested in another J160 pilots opinion. As I say, it’s been a few years. I thought the runway visibility was a bit poor on final but not 100% sure without a few more circuits and maybe checking one of my videos.

As for numbers. I’m not saying you did this but a lot of people have no idea how to properly compare aircraft performance. It doesn’t mean their opinions are wrong but I take them with a big grain of salt unless they give me all the data used for the testing. Even something as simple as terminology. EG: MPH has two completely different values depending on whether you mean statute or nautical. Not everyone is clear on such things when they write unfortunately.

The aircraft is beautiful, I like it.
However, in cockpit view I have between 30 and 35 fps. That’s 50% of what I get in the default C152 and Dr400 which have also steam gauges.
External view gives me a stable 60 fps (V-sync locked).

1 Like

Nothing against the Jabiru: it’s a nice little plane, but honestly I was hoping for a little more diversity and not another small light/ultralight high wing fixed gear sports plane. After the C152, C172, C182, Pipistrel Virus and the Flight Design CT (not even counting the XCub, Savage Cub, Kitfox and L-19 Bird Dog taildaggers) I thought we had finally enough of those :slight_smile:
Next one’s probably the Tecnam P93 or P2008 or the C162 :roll_eyes:

How about something more exotic? P-51, Piaggio P.180, T-6 Texan, Stearman PT-17, Messerschmitt BF 108 Taifun, DC-3, Lockheed Model 10 Electra, Beechcraft Model 18, Grumman Goose or Mallard, maybe even a working Canadair CL215/415 water bomber …

4 Likes

I’m with you, my friend.
Let Michael take it!

This aircraft is not easy on the frames! There hasn’t been much optimization and I hope they’ll fix it with a patch. It has simple avionics and I thought it would just be as fps friendly as the Asobo C172 or C152. But with the Jabirus I get approx. 10 fps less in the same situation.

I didn’t notice a drop myself. Maybe compare one with only steam gauges with one with the GPS and see if it is different. It might be good dev feedback.

If you decide to get the plane it’d be great to hear what you think about the flight model.

I wrote about that a couple of times above.
In a nutshell, it is similar enough to remind me of the real aircraft. Certainly taking off an clearing the trees at the end of the runway at YADG cab be as hairy as the real plane when at max weight. The aircraft is easy to fly like the real one.

I’m not sure the approach with full flaps gives me a similar outside view as the real plane but I have to play with seat heights a bit. The default height seems high to me but it is not actually easy to compare a sim with a real aircraft. We don’t have the same sensations, view or tactile experience and that can warp a fair comparison.

I don’t regret buying it that’s for sure.

1 Like

Yes, that is clearly something that must be fixed!

I did my flight training in a J160 and this one does feel quiet similar, right down to the rattles and bumps when taxiing (noticable on dirt.grass surfaces).

I haven’t been able to activate the transponder - anyone else with this issue? The radios turn on fine.

I feel the crosswind modelling is not realistic with just a small xwind raising the wing and blowing the aircraft off the runway with too much rudder required to compensate. Other than that I didn’t feel the aileron was overly inefficient - the J160/J170 have quite a large wing and it felt right to me (except perhaps maybe that is where the xwind issue is creeping in?).

Biggest disappointment for me has been the fact I can’t use my Saitek Switch panel - the gear/flaps and pitch trim work ok but none of the switches pass through to the aircraft (work with the default). As mentioned above it is fine if you mouse around the cockpit and activate switches this way.

All in all I am happy, the aircraft handles pretty much as I remember and has plenty of panel options and a repaint kit.

1 Like

I’m having a problem turning on the radio. The manual says to left click the top round knob. I can’t get it to turn on. Anyone else having this problem or know what I’m doing wrong?

Hey Baz, long time no see! :slight_smile:

We’re aware of the lack of integration with external devices. We can offer the XML files with the Lvars on if you use LINDA or similar (if they’re available for MSFS at this stage.)

There’s a few issues with inertia that we’re working with, though I’ve found that different joysticks and control sensitivities cause significant issues in control.

I run with default sensitivities (-50% on Yaw, Pitch and Roll) and that’s what it’s been tested with.

The magnetic compass is reversed on the J170. Turning from East to North shows me South and vice-versa. The J160 is OK. Is there a simple fix in the config files. I’m not familiar with those.

Yep, it’s on the list. :smiley:

This is the current worklist for the next build. :slight_smile: if it helps.

• J170 - Fix reversed compass
  • All models - Add additional inertia to roll and pitch.
  • Remove gyro sound from J170-D (no gyro items).
  • Improve landing light distance on J170.
  • Add landing light and cockpit light to J160 to make night VFR capable on all models.
  • Adjust stall speed trigger.
  • Work on modifications to allow for keyboard/panel on switches.
  • Improve the knob and button functions on AS3X.
  • Check contact points
  • Add additional paints
  • Adjust VH-DLB with new colours in line with new IRIS branding.
  • Add tropical north bushtrip
  • Improve autopilot lateral capture.
  • Code an interactive checklist.
  • Adjust prop torque values.
  • Prohibit doors opening when airborne.
  • Adjust roll effectiveness.
  • Reduce AI traffic values to reduce overpopulation.
  • Relocate bush-trip start location.
  • Add missing J170-C placards to C model J170 paints.
5 Likes

It’s the australian invasion.

:slight_smile:
Seriously, it’s because all the Jabirus are tagged as AI traffic, that’s 16 in total. Hence why the world seems over populated. I’ll bring that back to one 160 and one 170 and see if that helps. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the fix list.
Another thing I noticed: the rudder pedals are not animated in the J170. Can you confirm?

To adjust the knobs, use the mouse scroll wheel. :slight_smile:

Also, to turn on the transponder, press the power button on the upper left (small white one). The left knob on the Transponder controls mode, the right controls function/code.