June 2024 Developer Live Stream Main Discussion Areas

If you implement a more detailed weather radar what one do you do. Not every dev wants a WT Garmin radar implementation and certainly not for airliners. I think what’s being called an API is a way to get data and to manipulate what it supplies rather than the full implementation so each dev can turn that into a display and controls that fit the aircraft they are producing.

1 Like

Exactly. The API would abstract away what data it has, and allow the developer to pick, and choose what they pull in.

1 Like

The ATR 72 600 ypdate seems to be done but no dates , although for the end of year :expressionless:

The ATR Update is not complete. As Jorg says in the Dev QnA, the artwork for a new update is on track to be complete by the end of July potentially into August, before being handed to Hans to fix bugs.

Official MSFS Developer Stream - June 2024 - Twitch Timestamp: 00:20:44

2 Likes

What are the plans for information about FS2024? Its clear this particular stream will stay focused on 2020. And in this stream, when talking about the FX Expo, Jorg said “it won’t be exactly the same presentation as last year” but that kind of indicates we won’t get a lot of questions answered then. We are a mere 5 months away from FS2024, yet there is still so much that is totally unknown in terms of what will be streamed, will marketplace content be streamed, what are the base computer requirements, will more cores be utilized, more memory, etc. If there are things that I could be doing now to make my FS2024 experience the best possible, I would like to be preparing. But we are still so in the total dark. We were promised answers would start in the spring time, but it seems like we won’t even be getting any answers in June since the FS Expo presentation this year will be similar to last years.

3 Likes

Yeah pretty lame. You’d think they’d be on a pre hype marketing blitz and more open about 2024

Do we know yet whether there is going to be a beta, or even alpha, for FS2024?

It’s probably too late for an alpha, particularly as the alpha for FS2020 started about a year before release, but who knows. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Not sure the units question really was understood properly. The question was would we be able to change each unit individually, not ‘do people use metres and kilometers when flying in France’ which was what Martial seemed to be talking about.

It’s not just about picking the units, its also about how these are used / presented in the sim. A simple example: if you have ‘hybrid’ units set, on the aircraft selection screen the aircraft cruise speed is displayed as km/h which makes very little sense since most often you’ll talk about airspeed in knots indicated. If we could select the unit specifically for ‘airspeed’ and have that apply wherever airspeeds are displayed in the sim, that would be useful. The fuel screen needs to let you pick between pounds, kilos, gallons and litres. And so on.

Basically, units needs its own control page where you can set each unit individually. Have presets as with assistance settings, sure, but let us change each one individually.

That’s what the question was asking, that’s what we need an answer for.

4 Likes

I get you 100% on this point, but MS can afford to remain moot on 2024 because they know that FOMO is real and it will push many people off of 2020. When those new screen shots and videos and comments hit the internet, it’s going to be really hard not to give in and move on to 2024. IMHO it’s not the moderators, the community managers, or even Asobo management that’s holding back on info. Everyone else is caught in the wake (no pun intended) of MS marketing and just has to live with it. Also, it makes a lot more sense for them to say nothing now because you can’t quote it to use later.

I have nothing to back this up but I do have years of cynicism to draw from. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

They don’t need to give all the nitty gritty details. But since WU and CU are going to be streamed, and they are currently in the Marketplace, does that mean regular marketplace content will be streamed too? If so, there may be a benefit to making my purchases from the Marketplace. I originally had a 2TB m.2, then I replaced it with a 4TB m.2. Then I purchased another 4TB m.2 and RAIDed the two together for 8TB. Just for addons. I purchase a lot. If I should be purchasing from the Marketplace to reduce my footprint, it would be good to know since this is a LOT of money involved. Its a question I have been asking for a year.

If the sim will make efficient use of memory and cores, there are upgrades I can be purchasing now which would have to be installed.

There is nothing earth shattering about these questions, but can give the users the ability to make wise decisions. Sure, there are surprises they want to hold back, marketing goals they have. But allowing users the ability to intelligently prepare for whatever it is that is coming shouldn’t have to be forsaken.

NOTE: If there is streaming availability from the Marketplace, there would seem that perhaps then developers would have to be able to mark areas in the mod that are streamable. Obviously things from Orbx and SimMarket wouldn’t stream, so all resources would have to be in the addon. But that means then developers should know ahead of time how they delineate streamable content. Otherwise, yes, the addons will run, but the benefit of being streamable won’t be a day one thing for most addons.

I can see why they’re holding off talking about FS2024. The moment they open the flood gates with info about the new version of the sim it’ll start killing the current version. I’ve already started holding back on buying new add ons for FS2020. I’ve just so many questions about what new features the new version does and doesn’t have.

1 Like

I haven’t held back on add ons but it’s clear from what I’ve heard from a number of developers that many people have, and this is costing those developers sales.

If the sim is going to make more efficient use of multiple cores as they claim then 2024 should already perform noticeably better than 2020 without any hardware changes at all. It might be like buying a new generation of PC without the huge cost. If you want to upgrade even so then I don’t think it matters much about 2024 just do it anyway.

See I don’t think that works anyway. I fly all over the world, I want the sim to use the correct units for wherever I am automatically. If I take off from Europe I want hPa and if I fly to and land in America I want inHg, without having to change settings mid flight. If I fly to China I want to be given altitude in meters, without changing any settings.

Maybe some people want to override for personal preference but I want the “just works” option. IMO that is what hybrid should be but it just doesn’t work at the moment.

2 Likes

I completely agree.

If you look at a map of ATC control regions, the sim could “easily” utilize these zones as area of control for determining which units ATC utilizes.

1 Like

Yes, you’re right. That would be ultimately preferable. When you’re flying, though, operational units are generally a setting in the avionics that you can change. I imagine that’s what you’d do in the real world if you flew from the US with altimeter being given in inches of mercury to Europe with QNH in HPa, or into China airspace with ATC quoting altitudes in metres, right? I don’t imagine pilots just do the conversion in their heads.

It’s not quite as simple as automatically switching if things are to be kept realistic. Sure fully auto could be an option for those that want that but even with that there are hard coded exceptions that will not work. IRL an international aircraft would be expected to have display of the ATC units in use through the airspace in which they fly. This might be a pilot selectable thing or just simply dual display like in the case of an altimeter with dual Baro readouts. Things that will not work are say the fuel units when they are fixed. The Longitude is an example of this.
Some slightly different consideration has to be given for a sim because normal operating regimes don’t apply and it’s why it’s not as simple as just having an auto setting. Not sure how you’d handle altitude from feet to metres when almost every steam gauge cockpit doesn’t have a metres altimeter. Hard coded instruments ignore the units setting and therefore wouldn’t comply. The whole thing needs some thought but I agree the current implementation doesn’t work.

Doesn’t surprise me. I know Asobo have said add ons ‘should’ carry over but that doesn’t mean to say they definitely will and knowing how greedy some developers are presumably some are going to want to charge all over again for the new version of the sim. There’s a lot of unknowns about how this is all going to play out.

The statement was Almost all so anything less than that will be treated accordingly. I have continued to buy content for FS2020 based on that statement and I’m not buying anything over again for FS2024. My expectation is that all my add-ons will just work. I might expect some minor tweaking required but nothing that should require or justify an additional charge.

1 Like

Thanks so much for sharing this, really cool to see. I wonder what the other long ‘thread block’ is on the right?

You’re probably right but if sim updates break add ons then who knows what a whole new version of the sim will do. Decent third party devs, which to be fair are probably the majority, will just provide an update and let things continue but I bet there’s a fair few who will want to sell things all over again. I guess it will somewhat come down to how much work devs have to do to get things working again.