Lead engineer of IL-2 Sturmovik joins MSFS team. Could mean further enhancements to MSFS flight model

The MSFS flight model is still like an arcade game regardless of CFD etc. He has a lot of work ahead of him. Good luck.

1 Like

Arcade is not the proper word, more tweak and works for refinement to be done. The flight dynamic on default vs fully used, tweaked on 3rd party like PMDG are different, there is difference talking about core engine vs how it’s been used and tweaked.

1 Like

It’s not. Jump into the stock 172, and compare it to the stock 172 in Xplane. You’ll find the MSFS one is equal, if not better (due to MSFS actually having turbulence / wind etc).

9 Likes

Bad news for Il-2 fans

I disagree. I assume you have not flown the real aircraft. Go to your local airfield and book an hour or so of lessons. Ask the instructor to demonstrate a stall.

Then come back and tell me the MSFS flight model is “equal, if not better” than the 172 in XP12.

That will be one heck of a task, considering he probably would not have coded it that way to start with. Can you imagine opening up this can of spaghetti code and trying to convince the powers to be to completely re-write the code ?

He came to IL-2 well after it had already been coded and presumably he re-wrote it. If he’s the genius folk seem to believe he is then there’s no reason why he can’t do the same for MSFS.

2 Likes

Lol! How the turntables have turntabled…or how was it again? I still remember the haters, shortly after launch, we told them things would change, they didn’t listen, oh well. Asobo/Working title/every other party are on a complete rampage, I feel bad for the the guy you mentioned :sleepy:… They couldn’t even get the sun right, last I checked. Ouch…

2 Likes

The sun looks like some super nova in the sky :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Oh, and let’s not forget: when Msfs2020 was launched, nobody seemed to care about the fact that it was obviously still under construction. But now, when pointing out potatoplane 13’s shortcomings: “iTs sTiLl bEtA”. Not hating on that guy, but it’s undeniable that the market has changed. Some devs already left that other game and jumped ship in time. Those devs need to eat after all.

2 Likes

Not gonna lie, hearing the “don’t worry, it’s still early beta” coming from the mouths of EX-Planers, is kinda gratifying. LOL.

3 Likes

Ok, cool. Can you please elaborate on how 20 KM CFD around the plane has actually changed the flight physics of any MSFS2020 aircraft, stock or add-on? I sure have ever noticed a difference.

I said the 20 KM CFD is coming in SU 11. That’s about 1.5 months away. It’s not in the current SU 10.

I believe thermals will be implemented in the 20 KM CFD, and other air movement. They showed a brief video on the 20 KM CFD in one of the past Twitch Q&As. Sorry I don’t have the link, but you can search the past Twitch Q&As if you really want to find more information about it. It was from a few months ago.

Edit: This isn’t the Twitch Q&A, but here is the quote from Seb from an interview on the upcoming 20 KM CFD:

Something we are currently working on that will not be for Sim Update 10: The problem with this system is that it works very locally and generates local thermals that don’t combine when they go up. The air that goes up somewhere else needs to go back down. It doesn’t create any vortices, turbulence on the side of thermals, anything like that yet. So there’s research work going on that took the CFD of the airplanes and expanded that 20-ish km around the plane. So that’s a really, very, very, very big CFD running and it goes pretty high as well. And we hope that sometime this year, we’ll to get that to simulate the airflows in the atmosphere to get nicer updrafts that can combine so that only bigger fields get updrafts when you go higher up, that you get vortices with air going back down, and all sorts of different local wind effects that we don’t really get from live weather. Live weather gives us wind gusts and direction, but it’s something a bit more for the area.

Excuse my stupidity - but what is a `“20km CFD”? :smiley:
Some kind of radius around the plane with highly accurate simulated airstreams?

Unless I’ve read things wrong, I believe they’re talking about a 20km circle around the player where the Computational Fluid Dynamics are applied - probably to do all the thermals and stuff for gliders, handle wind near mountains, etc.

1 Like

CFD is already in the sim, for some planes, but I have no idea what the diameter/area of that simulation is. Presumably very much local to the airframe.

Yeah, CFD came in in one of the Sim Updates during the spring, if my memory is correct. The 20 KM CFD around the plane is new though, I think it’s coming in SU 11.

Edit: This isn’t the Twitch Q&A, but here is the quote from Seb from an interview on the upcoming 20 KM CFD:

Something we are currently working on that will not be for Sim Update 10: The problem with this system is that it works very locally and generates local thermals that don’t combine when they go up. The air that goes up somewhere else needs to go back down. It doesn’t create any vortices, turbulence on the side of thermals, anything like that yet. So there’s research work going on that took the CFD of the airplanes and expanded that 20-ish km around the plane. So that’s a really, very, very, very big CFD running and it goes pretty high as well. And we hope that sometime this year, we’ll to get that to simulate the airflows in the atmosphere to get nicer updrafts that can combine so that only bigger fields get updrafts when you go higher up, that you get vortices with air going back down, and all sorts of different local wind effects that we don’t really get from live weather. Live weather gives us wind gusts and direction, but it’s something a bit more for the area.

2 Likes

This will get me to try gliders. Up until now, they’ve been pretty pointless in all legacy sims IMO.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.