Little Nav Map to get a name change?

Hi Alex,

I have been a user of Little Nav Map for many years and across the many iterations of all the sim platforms I have used. And I have always found it to be indispensable for everything from flight planning to the moving map feature.

From humble beginnings I have watched it grow and improve with new features and functionality to a point now where, as an ‘on the tin’ declaration, the 'Little in Little Nav Map just doesn’t cut it any more.

So, I propose that you change the name of your venerable product!
Not too drastically, mind you.
Might I suggest the splendidly obvious: Big Nav Map.
Or, perhaps, my favourite choice: Little Big Nav Map.
Although, on reflection, the latter one puts me in mind of Dustin Hoffman.

Maybe you could run a competition where the winner gets a free copy of the program. Thus making us all winners because the program IS free.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

5 Likes

Maybe you’ll have better odds finding Alex here:

1 Like

Good idea.
Link provided.
Cheers.

Agreed. Been using it for a week or so, and found absolutely nothing little about it. Can show official FAA vfr and ifr maps even! My choice for a new name will be “Little Big Nav Map” (your favourite) which sounds similar to that glorious PS4 game Little Big Planet.

Pinging the brilliant developer @albar965 for his attention

1 Like

Nice one, Sir.

I wouldn’t do that. Even if he has not officially trademarked the current name in the proper trademark classification, he has certainly put the current name into circulation in commerce and as unchallenged so far has solidified first use. Changing the name causes that to restart. Could be more risk than reward.

2 Likes

That is a very important point you raise.
But be aware, I mean’t this thread to be a very much, tongue in cheek, tribute to a diminutively titled LNM.

1 Like

No way! I love understatement. :upside_down_face:

It also sounds a little bit better than tongue breakers like PFPFMSFS or whatever.

I don’ even want to think about the hundreds scripts, code, images, websites and translations that have to be changed.
Let alone Google has to update its index which will probably take weeks.

But next version will get a new splash / startup picture made by a friendly user.

Alex

5 Likes

Hi Alex.

And of course, I don’t blame you.

But I will now always, at least mentally, insert the epithet BIG into the title somewhere.
And perhaps so will the hundreds nay thousands of people who read this thread.

Practicalities aside, LMN deserve nothing less. :smiley:

1 Like

Talk about talking yourself down…just dispense with the “Little”…maybe replace it with “Global Navigation Map”…for a free programme it puts some pay-ware add ons to shame. I use it all the time…

2 Likes

a well known name ‘brand’ in the community is hard to build up, and can be worth its weight in gold (which would be odd, because names weigh nothing, but you catch my drift). I can totally understand Alex wanting to stay with LNM.

1 Like

Understand if it is a commercial operation…but this is voluntary for the community…sure, they probably pick up income from the associated adverts…and from donations…which reminds me…about time I donated a few dollars, either way, good luck to them.

1 Like

I absolutely agree.

With all the hype in the world today and the fact that users will soon find out that it is far from little, I think the ‘humble’ name does far more for the product than something much grander.

I would say keep the name and be a bit different from the rest.

2 Likes

Less is more. ,)

All: Thanks for the party. :partying_face: Appreciate it.

As @MortThe2nd said: A brand is precious.
And agree to @Kayembee370. Too much hype going on everywhere.

1 Like

Hi Alex.

Just to be sure you know.
I did start this thread with my tongue firmly in my cheek!

Regards.
Phil.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

I do not see the “little” as being a reference to it’s size or usefulness

I see Little as in “Little Gem”

IF you really feel the need to express its greatness in its name, the go for broke,

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Nav Map :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

@anon81017491 Fully understood. :slight_smile:

Maybe I should add an option which allows you to call it whatever you like. :wink:

1 Like

How about “The Only Map You’ll Ever Need” or just “The Map”

I’ve been using LNM for a very long time, through many sims (FSX, P3D, X-Plane) and watching the speed with which Alex has updated LNM to deal with MSFS’s eccentricities has been phenomenal.

There are always new things to learn in LNM

A true community hero.

2 Likes

Very well said.
Keep 'em coming.