Live Dev Q&A: Guided Question

Propeller Drag - Missing

Based on the aerodynamics video and last Q&A, adverse yaw, slipstream and P-factor have been fixed and only need some tweaking. That leaves the next big problem, propeller drag seems not to be simulated affecting aircraft deceleration and glide range on windmilling props, expecially on turboprops. Can you elaborate on this issue and whether we can expect improvements on that?

32 Likes
Category - mark 'x' to indicate which category your question applies to:
[ ] Avionics
[ x] Flight Planning for Airport Approaches 
[ ] Input/Controls
[ ] Flight Model

Your Question:

Is there any possibility to we be free to contact the tower and see a list of request? Also, Brazil world update is planned? Hehe. Thanks

3 Likes

Problems with Flight Dynamics

Airliners (at least the A320 and B748) seem to have wrong flight dynamics with the Center of Gravity behind the wing Center of Pressure even with the CG on the forward CG limit. The resulting nose-up pitch moment is compensated for by a up-force on the horizontal stabilizer and a center of pressure moving backwards instead of forward with increasing Angle of Attack. This is all completely opposite from what it should be in real life. Could you explain why this is and if there is a reason behind it.

17 Likes

RMI / Bearing Pointers Able to give Bearing to Localizers

There is this immersion breaking bug for the IFR pilots among us which enables the RMI / Bearing pointers to give bearings towards localizer antennas, this is impossible in real life. Is this a deliberate design choice or just a bug? Can this please be fixed?

16 Likes

Offset ILS / LDA Approaches

The biggest problem for most people flying IFR in the sim right now. Asked numerous times to the devteam, during one Q&A they said they would come back to this but it has been silent so far. Why are all localizers in MSFS aligned with the runway track, in other words why are there no offset approaches in MSFS and when can we expect this to be implemented?

23 Likes

Autopilot Logics

It would be nice to see correct autopilot logics in the sim (for example disengagement at stall warning or manual trim activation) and controls being ignored when autopilot is engaged as in the real world you can’t physically move the controls while the autopilot servo’s are engaged until exerting enough force to trip the autopilot offline. Any plans to realistically implement these things?

19 Likes

(E)GPWS

Are there plans to implement the basic GPWS modes? It seems mode 3 (“Don’t sink”) is the only GPWS mode implemented and often activating at wrong times (bug?), is there a reason only this mode has been implemented? Are there any plans to implement the rest at a later stage?

12 Likes

Weather Radar versus Cloud Radar

The weather radar within MSFS seems to be more like a cloud radar than an actual weather radar making it pretty useless for weather avoidance, any improvements planned?

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/weather-radar-returns/333688?u=nijntje91

33 Likes

Altimeter Temperature Errors

Somewhat avionics related: The indicated altitude (barometric altimeter) does not seem to be influenced by temperature at all. In real life barometric altitudes need to be corrected for cold temperature to get the correct true altitude (“From high to low, watch out below” applies to both temperature and pressure). Can we expect any advancements in this area?

16 Likes

[ ] Avionics
[ ] Flight Planning for Airport Approaches
[ ] Input/Controls
[X] Flight Model

Is the propellerer drag planned for the flight model improvments?

14 Likes

[X ] Avionics
[ ] Input/Controls
[] Flight Model

Are you aware that ITT is behaving incorrectly in the tbm930? ITT should rise when ascending and even be a limiting factor when reaching peak height, where throttle power would be maxed out.

6 Likes

Icing Effect

Not completely related but a lot of people are still struggling with the excessive icing effect, last Q&A there wasn’t really a satisfying answer given to the problem. Are the developers aware that the current icing effect is not only affecting performance way too much (i.e. light icing conditions produces severe icing effects) but also the visual representation is wrong.

The icing in MSFS looks like the aircraft has been parked overnight in freezing fog and is covered with frost. In-flight icing does not look that way, the type of ice is wrong (frost versus rime / clear or mixed ice) and the areas it accumulates is wrong. Apart from some flowback, ice forms on frontal areas and not on top of the wing, side of the fuselage or vertical tail, cockpit side windows and cabin windows and certainly not as quick as it does in MSFS or in conditions were there is no supercooled water in the atmosphere (e.g. snow).

Are the developers aware of this, are there any updates planned to address the severity and visual appearance? Could we get an option to completely disable the icing effects (performance + visual) until things have improved? I’m flying into icing conditions almost on a daily basis (in real life), I can say from experience that no icing effect at all is more realistic than the current icing effect. Thank you!

32 Likes

Q1: Can Asobo please investigate glide slope or (L/D)max in MSFS 2020 version 1.13.17.0? In my experience I have to double the Asobo values to get a realistic (L/D)max value. Examples:
Boing 747: drag_coef_zero_lift = 0.046 ; 0.023
Daher TBM930: drag_coef_zero_lift = 0.051 ; 0.0255
In older versions of MSFS 2020 the (L/D)max were too high, but since version 1.13.16.0 it got worse. Another Asobo times 2 bug?

Q2: MSFS 2020 has no “propeller drag” parameter. Does Asobo plan to give the flight model such a parameter? Or does Asobo at least plan to adopt my wish list proposal Workaround for missing propeller drag, please! - Self-Service / Wishlist - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

12 Likes

[x ] Avionics
[ x] Flight Planning for Airport Approaches
[ ] Input/Controls
[] Flight Model

Navigation- I’ve noticed when I make any changes to the flight plan enroute, no matter where I get it from or if I build it myself, my DTG (distance to go) breaks in the jets. Without that, it’s difficult to plan descents. ETAs on waypoints in the legs parts of flightplans would be helpful too.

VNAV- If it’s not possible to get a proper VNAV for the default jets- maybe we can have some kind of range arc on the nav display that estimates where we will end up, for example, depending on our speed and rate of descent. This is also pretty helpful with descent planning.

4 Likes
Category - mark 'x' to indicate which category your question applies to:
[ ] Avionics
[X] Input/Controls
[ ] Flight Model

Your Question:

When will the 10 degree CDI / VOR bug be fixed for us alpha yoke users ?

5 Likes

[x] Avionics
[ ] Input/Controls ( + accessibility)
[ ] Flight Model

Avionics: Will we ever get from you a complete, realistic, study-level and bug-free Garmin package (either payware or freeware, and by “Garmin package” I’m referring to G1000, GNS 530 and 430, GTN750, GTN 650 and G3000) in the base sim to be used with the default and third party aircraft? If not, can you help established third-party developers like @CptLucky8 and Working Title to make and sell them to MSFS 2020 customers?

[ ] Avionics
[x] Input/Controls ( + accessibility)
[ ] Flight Model

Input/Controls ( + accessibility): Could you please get rid of this white-colored arrow for video-gamers that pops up whenever we move our mouse? Failing that, could you please give us a native, user-friendly option to enable/disable it?

43 Likes

Here are links to some Input/Controls questions:

About binding Accessibility to Input/Controls:

(main point highlighted - link for context)

I believe every “assistance” feature should also have a command/event you can bind to a controller, for 2 reasons at least:

• You do have a disability requiring you to using those aids for enjoying the simulator fully, and sometimes, these disabilities are rendering the complex task of opening the options menu, moving the mouse, selecting an option, pressing accept, closing the window very difficult. For this reason, not having any binding between a setting and a controller (keyboard, joystick, specialized hardware) defeats the purpose of offering some of these accessibility settings.

• You do use those accessibility aids only as augmented reality features, anytime the constraints of the monitor resolution or the lack of situation awareness call for using additional assistance. When you do, it is usually only temporary and in this case not having any binding to controller in order to toggle such settings only when needed makes it either useless, or cumbersome.

While on the subject, I believe FS2020 accessibility settings shall also have their own in-game popup menu, alongside Weather, ATC and Map, so that you can have fast and easy access, but also can quickly glance which ones are active.

18 Likes
[X] Avionics
[X] Flight Planning for Airport Approaches 
[X] Input/Controls
[X] Flight Model

Here are links to some suggestions encompassing all these subjects at once:

About Helping Microsoft and Asobo solving all these

(main point highlighted - link for context)

23 Likes

Camera Controls

Could you elaborate on improvements (if any) planned concerning the camera system? Why can’t we go directly from cockpit view to drone camera or fixed views (having to go to outside view first) and vice versa? This is not very intuitive. Further more camera movement can not be completely switched off, something which is very annoying if you are flying IFR in turbulence (zooming in or out instead of scrolling something into the flight guidance panel for example). Then last but not least, if you save custom views you’ll often have to press the key binding twice in order to end up with the correct orientation and zoom, not very useful if you just wanna peak quickly at something.

In short the camera system can use some improvement and made more intuitive.

Thanks!

6 Likes

[ ] Avionics
[ ] Input/Controls
[X ] Flight Model

Are there any plans in the works to incorporate a method to include more advanced and accurate modeling/dynamics for such things as torque, precession, slipstream, p-factor, asymmetric thrust, realistic stalls and spins, front & side slips, x-wind landings, etc. for more advanced users, and a simpler, ‘easy’ flight model for beginners or Xbox users? This would seem to make a lot more sense than a ‘one size fits all’ approach I believe.

14 Likes