Local Legend 17: Curtiss C-46 Commando

Ok I took one for the team, I really don’t know why I do this, maybe in my fantasies I hope some day an AH plane will not be like all the others.

If you are having a bad day just skip the rest, don’t buy it, fly something that makes you happy.

We have a classic AH product, everything is wrong or your money back. This is hard to swallow but this one could be worst than the Stratodisaster.

The exterior model is very nice, really nice texturing and wear. The cockpit is nice but it has low resolution textures in several areas that are not modeled, there is a lot not modeled in this cockpit and the textures for the switches modeled and the ones not modeled are completely different, quite an unprofessional work here.

Starting sequence from cold and dark is the typical AH, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t sounds are very very bad, there is no sound for the engine starters, they just suddenly jump alive, when it works. It seems the sounds from the left and right engine are different but I’m not going to deal with such details.

Some switches have sounds, some don’t.

The altimeter seems to be right. I know this is what matter to you guys so we are safe. Until the first update of course.

The Sperry AP seems to be broken, sometimes it works, sometimes it takes a 60 degree bank seeking for some mysterious heading command that nobody gave. I guess this is to add immersion into such an old plane an unreliable AP that you can use at your own risk.

And here is a new AH special: COMPLETELY RANDOM COCKPIT LIGHTING.

This is a must see, just play with the switches for cockpit lighting, there’s an UV switch on the left side, two rotaries in the OH panel and some switches. Turn on the UV and no UV but the instruments glow red, now turn on the cockpit light, the UV disappears and you get a red flood light, now turn off that and turn on instruments, one or two will randomly lit. Try different sequences and you can get a totally random illumination in the cockpit.

The flight model seems to be acceptable I guess, I have no idea how a C-46 should fly. Tailwheel locking is working, flaps are working too.

There might be plenty of other wrong things but I stopped my tests to preserve my sanity.

Enjoy!

21 Likes