Manual Cache: Is it working?

I had given up trying to cache my own regions however after this past update I am ready to give it another shot.

I am currently in the process of downloading the Miami Florida area and so far the UI is greatly improved and as I am downloading it, it actually seems like it is grabbing the correct data. Before this last patch we all know the UI was very buggy and lagged considerably. I am averaging about 30 FPS now and I did most of the Miami area in medium zoom level with high zoom level around downtown and also around the airport.

Curious if there are any others around that have tried using manual cache since the update yesterday and what your results have been. I will update later today and see if the cache I downloaded makes any difference in the Miami area with the LOD and general graphical fidelity.

Thank you all and Happy Flying!

Edit: The Miami region I cached was over 8 GB so at least that part seems to be working now.

1 Like

The only thing that seems optimized is rectangular regions. As soon as it goes non-rectangular it goes back to slow.

So create a new region for every rectangular area and it should work just fine.

I have not tried to create non-rectancular regions. I guess I’m just so used to making them rectangular even with Ortho4XP. Thats an interesting observation though I wonder why it would start to lag when doing your regions like that.

Have you noticed a difference in-game with you cached regions?

Seems better to me… After 6GB of data my UI would be completely useless before. I can use it again so that’s a plus.

Have you had the chance to see if it actually makes a difference in-sim now? I know that was another issue some users were experiencing pre-patch. Even if you were able to get a decent region cached and appeared to download correctly it wouldn’t make a difference in-game. I’m not currently at home to test whether my regions are working in-game so I’m curious what others are experiencing in-game with their cached regions post-patch.

Happy Flying!

Took a flight from Charlette NC to Orlando, FL (one of my newly cached regions) and noticed absolutely no difference in the way the photogrammetry loaded or in the quality of it. I am going to fly into my other cached region, Miami, and look at how my network is downloading data to see if there is any impact there but first observations are that the manual cache will do nothing to help with the LOD and quality issues simmers may be experiencing.

There isn’t a different between “high” in photogrammetry areas and the streamed data that is written to the rolling cache.

Outside of photogrammetry areas the manual cache on high isn’t different either. It’s merely a way to download it now and not stream it later.

Now as Asobo releases more scenery updates like Japan I think the manual cache areas won’t work or will need to be re-downloaded (as the source data has changed).

I understand that, I am merely trying to see if there is any benefit to having it cached to your system and not have to stream it.

It still appears that the sim will stream the data, even if it is cached to your system.

According to the lack of information by Asobo and no proof… the answer is no.

If you have no cap, decent speed, and a connection that isn’t flaky I’d skip the manual cache.

I keep trying to cache and see whats up, but I always come back to “its a waste of time and effort”

1 Like

Well you should have documented your efforts so I wouldn’t be sitting here wasting my time! :stuck_out_tongue:

I am just desperately trying to get something…anything to get my LOD to improve and load up photogrammetry sooner. I have tried setting my LOD all the way up to 6 and it still doesn’t do much until you are flying almost on top of the photogrammetry… :sigh:

Mostly the trees that are the issue.

Have you checked the thread for the best settings? Maybe that will help?

My testing was purely by eye - I manually cached an area of my city (which is a photogrammetry city) and compared low, medium and high. High really is the only way to go, but it takes 249572 years to grab any decent amount of area. Low was a complete joke.

The LOD was terrible at release and got better after patch 1. Frankly, they have a ways to go in general, and unless you can find a fix here it may be a bit of a waiting game. You could disable the rolling cache too - maybe it’s slow?

No I was hitting over 60mbps just now coming into KMCO.

Its the same issue many of the others have discussed here

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/trees-lod-drawing-distance-too-low-degraded/240647/2

and here

I’ve deleted my rolling cache several times so like you say its just going to be a waiting game. :frowning_face: