[Missions] FS Academy - IFR instrument flight training missions | FS Academy

Hi there,

Yes I only referenced the +7 rule of thumb as this applies to basically any aeroplane, but I agree that the many magenta indicator on the HSI would be useful to point out, especially once you progress to the faster DA62, which needs a steeper bank angle.

1 Like

Thanks for this, this is exactly why I made IFR. I try to explain things simply but also authentically, without over-simplification, so that simmers and pilots alike can learn these concepts, which stay with you going forwards.

I use Navigraph charts, with their kind permission. I saw that there are tons of YouTubers that cover approach charts, who do a good job of making videos about it, so I had ā€˜skippedā€™ their explanation, but will consider adding more on this in the future.

1 Like

Hi, like the post above, thanks for sharing your experiences, particularly with holding, as this has historically (IMO) been over-complicated.

The rate1 indicator would be a useful addition.

To mention the Working Title mod, last time I looked ther ADF/NDB functions were INOP, making it unusable for much of these tutorials. I understand that at some point that mod will become the default G1000, so I will ensure compatibility once that happens.

I think I hit a bug. In IFR mission 4 (NDB/VOR Glass Cockpit), I have to click the course-baro knob. That however does not register, so I am stuck. I am using the G1000NXi mod and a couple others. Disabling the mod fixes the issue.

1 Like

Same for me. I also have the NXi mod so that might be a problem but the ā€œinstructorā€ should also point out the the CDI needs to be setup correctly. He does mention what the proper Nav frequencies are but also says they are already setup for you, so he might remind us that the CDI needs to show the proper source. NAV1 or GPS or whatever is required for the mission.

I recently became interested in IFR and purchased the package for FS Academy in the marketplace. The idea of a structured and guided introduction to IFR elements, including VOR and ILS, appealed to me. I was a bit cautious because of my experience with the bush trip package but gave it a try anyway.
A selling point of the IFR package is that an experienced professional airline pilot teaches it. The problem with the whole series, as far as I got into it, is the instructor is not an effective teacher. He may know his material but not how to present it in an instructive way. There is too little feedback, too little guidance. If you already know how to use a VOR, the instructions are just fine, but when struggling with holding altitude and heading, being told to ā€œre-align the needleā€ can be confusing. Watching a YouTube video of a guy running these courses, I saw the same mistakes I made. Again if you are very familiar with VOR usage, youā€™d probably take a heading to pick up the radial rather than changing the course dial to ā€œalign the needle.ā€ I finally gave up on the series after flailing through part of the 4th series on holding patterns.

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback and insight.

There is an assumed level of competency when moving on to instrument flying. Being able to takeoff, land and hold altitudes etc are needed to effectively learn more advanced topics duch as this.

This is why IFR lesson 1 is manual handling on instruments. If the pilot finds this challenging, it would be better to focus on this rather than moving further into the course onto VOR, NDB etc.

The accompanying manual is also full of information for preflight reading, so an amount of knowledge is provided before the missions begin.

Iā€™d suggest that newcomers to flight would be better starting with FS Academy - VFR, as would any IRL student pilot.

Hi,

Thanks for pointing this issue out with the G1000 mod.

I have found other problems with the Working Title G1000, so I do not use it or offer support for it whilst it is still in beta.

Iā€™ll add guidance not to use it to the support page for IFR.

Hi,

Yes I have found the NXi to be buggy and incomplete, so please use the default equipment for IFR and you should have a better experience

1 Like

Hi,
Iā€™m working through the course but have a little complaint/ ask for help. The IFR missions on the bush trip are all mixed up with the other missions and totally out of order. Theyā€™re also zoomed in and run verticle compared to how they used to look. wasnā€™t sure if thereā€™s any help for this or not. TIA for your help

Sam

1 Like

This layout change was done by Asobo / MS to make it look better on Xbox Iā€™m pretty sure, but it is a terrible experience on PC. I reported that as a bug when it first happened - hopefully they will make an improvement in SU7 but Iā€™m not holding my breath.

One thing I found that might make this better is to remove any add-ons you have that add bush trips when you arenā€™t using them. eg if you have the FS Academy VFR + IFR + Voyager but are just working your way through IFR you could remove VFR + Voyager add-ons so there are fewer in the list to sort through

1 Like

Hi,

What Nick says is quite right. It was a UI change from SU5. The ordering system also changed, which puts missions out of order.

This ordering issue is resolved with IFR v1.4, which is is MSā€™ hands atm. I MAY be able to change the appearance in menu with future custom categories.

1 Like

Unfortunately I canā€™t do the check ride :frowning: The trigger at the start isnā€™t picking up that I am at the hold position so it never begins. I have tried repositioning in a number of ways but it still wonā€™t work. Any ideas for this one?

I am just about to try removing all of my mods and trying again to see if there is a conflict

Thanks for thst, Iā€™ll take a look.
Support is here: www.fsacademy.co.uk/support-ifr

1 Like

Thanks, I wanted to check that it wasnā€™t a mod conflict before I contacted support but now I have tried with no mods enabled and got the same thing so I guess there is an issue. Should I email support or are you happy to just look at it and address it here? I donā€™t mind either way

While I think of it - another thing I came across thatā€™s less of a bug but more of a pet peeveā€¦ In the circling lesson the instructor says to turn ā€œfinalsā€. I was taught that there is only one final that you turn onto so you should say ā€œturning finalā€ - not ā€œturning finalsā€ :stuck_out_tongue: I know that some people have other opinions though so I understand if that doesnā€™t get changed.

I currently struggle with the IFR Landing mission (8). No matter what, as soon as I establish radial 031 to leave Southhamptom, I get ā€œyou went off course for too long, please restartā€. Tried four times so far. Shall I ignore this?

Itā€™s just really picky. I found flying over the runway instead of SAM did it for meā€¦

Same here, Iā€™m on plain vanilla so no mods. Set up all the NAV radios etc. already but nothing happens when I reach the holding point.

Ok thanks for info, will take a look.

Hi guys,

Iā€™ve looked into the IFR 12. Checkride issue with the first trigger (holding point).
The location for this trigger was set incorrectly, causing it to be located slightly underground and therefore not possible to trigger. This has been resolved and Iā€™ll issue a hotfix v1.4.1 asap.

Thanks for the reports

2 Likes