Mixture Issues with Prop Planes

Sorry for that! I only fly the Baron as piston ACFT.
Still missing the function of the cowlflaps.

1 Like

Cirrus not having a working mixture at all :frowning:

And the Cirrus SR22.

1 Like

this is other kind of issue, some airplanes which not have mixture control, react anyway when you move the axis you assigned to the mixture (or the key)ā€¦

Example:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/mixture-hardware-axis-shuts-the-tbm-engine-down/305624/2?u=michamma

Looks like the update didnā€™t fix anything? Has anyone tried yet?

Did Asobo mention that a mixture improvement was planned for this update?

Yes, in their Q&A. Please scroll up and watch the Q&A again. Cheers.

It didnā€™t fix anything? Did you try it?

tried itā€¦ no change on these sideā€¦ but also seen nothing in patch notes, so we have to wait for coming updates.

Thatā€™s incredibly frustratingā€¦ they said a fix would come in Update 6.

Did you try in the Cessna? I bet if they fixed anything it wasnā€™t in the Baron / other models where mixture is broken.

The standard C172 works as it did prior to 1.10.11.0. No issues.

this is the issue :joy:

Wait. That is an issue. The whole point of this thread is to talk about how mixture is broken in prop planes and needs to be fixed lol, and there was no fix madeā€¦

ā€œNo issuesā€ as in, it seems to work correctly to me. Even if, say itā€™s different than real life, you still have to fly the plane with what it presents to you.

Ok letā€™s try this. Set the mixture to full rich and the throttle to full near the ground (or on the runway). Pull back the mixture slowly and observe your fuel flow gauge. Does the fuel flow go UP as you pull the mixture out?

Itā€™s just the fact that you said ā€œno issues just like before the updateā€ when there were a lot of issues before the update.

1 Like

I just tried a flight in version 3 of Robert Youngā€™s Turbocharged Bonanza G36 mod, and it looks like the mixture behavior is the same as before. Mixture settings above ~90% cause a big drop in fuel flow to the engine. Cruising at 8,000 feet, my mixture was set at 26%, which gave me approximately 20C lean of peak EGT. This is very similar to previous flights, were I ended up at 24% during the leaning process.

Seriously? What kind of reply is that? Itā€™s supposed to be a simulator. So if itā€™s different than real life, itā€™s not fulfilling its purpose, is it? Since mixture is a major part of every flight, I think itā€™s very reasonable to ask for it to reflect its real counterpart properly!

6 Likes

Update: In the update discussion thread, Jayne said that they held back on the fix for Update 6 because it was risky & mightā€™ve resulted in more bugs, but that itā€™s looking good for Update 7 as of now.

5 Likes

It will go up, but itā€™s only a ā€œcalibration/rangeā€ issue with the maximum mixture value allowed in the internal MSFS code : itā€™s way too much. Go up to 100% MSFS mixture and your engine will choke with fuel, the RPM will go down and therefore of course, the fuel flow will too.
So obviously when you back up from this extreme value by leaning a bit thus allowing the engine to work better, the fuel flow will go up.

Itā€™s a ā€œtuningā€ bug, yes it should be fixed but as already stated, there are workarounds. As long as you treat 91% as the max mixture value one can send to the internal MSFS code, everything works pretty much as it should.

Now, if only the mixture could work at all in the Baron ā€¦Thatā€™s a much bigger problem, as it is one without any workaround.

You sure about that? Iā€™ve shared this image a thousand times by now, I think. I will eventually break the internet with it, but here it goes again. Hereā€™s what Iā€™m expecting to happen. I expect, as fuel flow goes down, to reach peak RPM by about 1:12.5 fuel/air ratio. As I lean further, Iā€™m expecting to see peak EGT at about 1:15 (stoichiometric mixture). And as I lean further, Iā€™m expecting to see best economy (or best specific fuel consumption) at about 1:16. Cylinder head temperature just max out somewhere between best power and peak EGT, at roughly 40Āŗ ROP.

Is this what youā€™re seeing? Is it really just a calibration issue on the mixture knob? Iā€™m not ā€œdemandingā€ the values to be exactly precise, but at least in the ball park. At the moment itā€™s all over the place.

1 Like