Mod for tree draw distance is no longer working after Sim Update 3

Apparently the mod does look to be updated, but…

According to the author of the mod post:

MSFS Update 1.14.5.0 has made an undocumented change by limiting the vegetation draw distance.

I sure hope they are not actively fighting to limit our PC experience for Xbox sake!

This vegetation extended draw distance is a huge deal as it makes it look so much better. I sure hope they either FIX this with a slider or just let us keep it modded. The LOD distance was my first WOW experience after the Clouds during Alpha. Once you’ve seen it and experienced it, there’s no fooling us about the obvious difference. Round n Round we go.

This really does have a stink to it.

1 Like

I don’t understand why people are so surprised that mods break after an update. It’s like that in most games. 3rd parties need time to catch up to changes. That’s even more difficult with MSFS because most of those changes are undocumented in any way.

Give it a couple of days after an update for modders to catch up and deal with using the sim without said mods till then. Modders are people with lives, real jobs and families. Simming and modding isn’t their priority.

I’m not surprised by mods breaking, but it seems they are actively fighting this extended LOD mod as stated in the mod Authors post:

MSFS Update 1.14.5.0 has made an undocumented change by limiting the vegetation draw distance.

Wether true or not, I don’t know, but this person thinks so as they are familiar with that line of code obviously. However, I don’t know anything about modding/coding so…

They’re not fighting modders. They’re trying to downgrade graphics draw distance to squeeze extra performance for XBOX. If you think the simming crowd can be harsh, no gamer is going to stand for something not running at 60 fps on their XBOX.

The first point is that we shouldn’t even need a mod for tree LOD.

In the early alphas, tree LOD was perfect without any mods.

Then Asobo broke it.

Then the said publicly they were unaware it was broken.

And months later they still haven’t fixed it, and now they are breaking the very mods which sorted it out.

This is unacceptable, and for me is a deal breaker on whether I use the sim. Without decent tree LOD, everything else just looks like a poor game or an old type sim, not a leading modern sim.

I simply cannot understand why Asobo don’t understand this. HOw can they possibly be flying and testing the sim and no seeing that tree LOD is cr*p in the standard sim?

9 Likes

I don’t see that. There is no problem running different settings on different hardware.

Trees for the Forest.

However you want to frame it. The point is, they are actively working to preserve the low LOD rather than easily restoring it.

Either it’s a bandwidth issue and they are squeezing for more pennies on the dollar or they know they can’t get The Box to run it and we are being downgraded after being sold the better.

Meanwhile, my Aircraft do front flips when I go flaps down, but that pesky good looking LOD must be crushed!

1 Like

i just installed the updated version of the Treefix mod and so far it seems to work just fine?
(LOD 200)
before with the Trees_Distance_Draw_Fix(100-150)-SmallerTrees

1.14.5.0 with the updated Trees_Distance_Draw_Fix(100-150)-SmallerTrees

2 Likes

The OP was complaining about the mod not working before updating to the latest version.

1 Like

you’re right though even the mod creator said something about max distance being reduces, which might be the case. I’m gonna try to recreate a pic with and without the mod at the same location

I have no doubt. Asobo are in full production on getting the XBOX version out, and I’m pretty sure they’re trying to steal as many frames as they can from wherever they can to try to get that version as close to 60 fps as they can.

1 Like

They’re having problems with the LODs it seems, the POI popping in late has been known for months, the terrain popping in has been there since the beginning. I appreciate it’s not an easy task but they’re not helping themselves by relentlessly breaking things and not fixing them thereafter, the POI are are major point of the Sim yet they go left untouched which is most infuriating.

after some testing right now, LOD is reduced dramatically! The TreeFix only extends till the lower LOD kicks in so therefore you get this “popup” effect of squares of trees poping in and out.

fedup

Really sad to see them chipping away at the visual grandeur. It’s so so distracting I often just try to hide it with weather to not see it.

I sure hope they will at least not fight the mods that give us what we once had in game.

4 Likes

most definitly.
1.14.5.0 LOD 200 with the updated Trees_Distance_Draw_Fix(100-150)-SmallerTrees

1.14.5.0 LOD 200 no mods, ASOBO must be JOKING!

1.14.5.0 LOD 350 with the updated Trees_Distance_Draw_Fix(100-150)-SmallerTrees

According to the modder, the 100-150 option works the same as 40-60. Did I interpret this correct?

no the 100-150 is a bit higher (but limited by the sim) and gives you much more popping in trees

1 Like

It looks like butt compared to pre-patch. :confused:

after some more testing
without the mod the drawdistance is tiny, with it, it is considerably further though you can clearly see the drawline at which the next lower terrain lod loads in. Apparently they changed that distance aswell. My assumtion is that this may even be the cause for the reduced tree draw distance?

VOTE here!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.