More candid insight from Aerosoft's project manager on MSFS, the CRJ, the SDK and the add-on market

All I need to know is where to send my money. Keep up the good work.

I should have re-read the article. Exactly right. That may have been the case but not today. Miss on my part.

In one of Austin’s back patting patent troll videos…LOL…he states that Laminar is a $3M a year business. Not sure how that translates to desktop sales vs mobile subscriptions.

1 Like

And considering it’s not going to contain default MFS systems, I’m looking forward to a stable FMS and autopilot. Basically an airliner I can confidently take on VATSIM.

4 Likes

I would bet most of it comes from mobile.

The reason why I think we might see a big boost as soon as MSFS gets released on the console.

However, and certainly not bashing anything, that has been a continuing phrase used to describe X plane as it developed over the years.

The Twin Otter would be TOO EASY? Seriously? Please Matthias, release your outstanding Twin Otter for MSFS as soon as possible!

4 Likes

I don’t think it works that way :thinking:. Asobo don’t deliver all the features for these planes but they do create the template or archetype which the SDK depends heavily on to allow the third parties to build from.

With no 747 or 320 (two very different flight models) I think it would be impossible for third party developers to build an airline, what are Asobo going to do - throw some code into the SDK and hope it works for third party developers :slight_smile: ok no smart remarks! :wink: haha.

Anyway with the progress of saltysimulations and flybywire, I don’t think Asobo were that far off in the SDK.

It’s exactly the same reason why you won’t see any third parties devs produce a helicopter before Asobo does unless they are working as closely with Asobo as Aerosoft have done.

Yep. Quote M.Kok: “This is however intended as a medium priced product that will be usable on Xbox consoles (we have already mapped all the controls we need toi the buttons and axis on Xbox controllers)”. But he also stated it would not be a simplified model, whatever that means. It hasn’t been very complex for FSX/P3D though…

Don’t confuse the control input with the flight model. DCS World F-15C has a professional flight model and believe me the flight models in DCS World are great but unlike the F-15A this version has very limited cockpit interactions.

Exactly. The Twin Otter isn’t a difficult aircraft to fly. It isn’t much more complex than a GA aircraft in the real world. This doesn’t mean the simulation is simplified.

Quote M.Kok: “This is however intended as a medium priced product that will be usable on Xbox consoles (we have already mapped all the controls we need toi the buttons and axis on Xbox controllers)” .

That just makes it even harder to understand why Aerosoft wouldn’t release the Twin Otter for MSFS - do they see MSFS as an opportunity to score ‘developer brownie points’ rather than attract more simmers to MSFS? There are many, many long-term simmers who are holding out on moving to MSFS until a “real airplane” like the Twin Otter becomes available, in wheels, tundra and float variants. In their view, it would change MSFS from being a “scenery game” into a genuine sim and be a HUGE benefit to the whole enterprise.

Wait, I’m not sure I understand what your issue is. Maybe it’s because the quote is very partial so it caused you to misunderstand.

This is the original full quote and context.

“To be clear, we do not know but we will sure try. This is however intended as a medium priced product that will be usable on Xbox consoles (we have already mapped all the controls we need toi the buttons and axis on Xbox controllers etc). Do not read that in any way as an indication it will be a simplified model, it’s not. It’s just that there will be a lot of Xbox users and we want to include them.”

The Twin Otter is absolutely coming to MSFS for PC. It’s also coming for MSFS for Xbox One when that launches.

It’s not the old Twin Otter from previous sims. It’s a completely new model, because the old one would look like crap in MSFS.

It’s an early 2021 release. it hasn’t launched yet because it’s far from finished. These are the latest images we saw.

https://forum.aerosoft.com/uploads/monthly_2020_11/detail_decal.jpg.70affabed47c8c4368db91775009caff.jpg

1 Like

Thank you Abriael, I wasn’t aware of that development - that’s good news and I for one can’t wait for the release.

1 Like

I don’t understand what is wrong with p3d fanboys. Stop attacking Mathijs for liking MFS. Here is his recent quote

"Friends (and people clearly not my friend) I am closing this. I have been reading some rather nasty posts where I have been called very nasty things (all deleted of course, btw dear p3dlover21, very clever to make jokes about my name, there was one I never ever heard, kudos!) and some other posts that I find borderline.

I am also not sure why they are so vocal. They clearly love what they have now, the aircraft and the sim is still supported by devs and Lockheed (we will keep updating our aircraft for sure). Nothing has been removed for them. So why be so upset when other people believe MFS will surpass P3D in any aspect (apart from the military things)?

Why not allow other to enjoy the hobby as they want to?"

Why attack other devs for liking and supporting a new product that is clearly much better?

No worries. I don’t expect any developer at all to release add-ons exclusively for Xbox.

Well… maybe the new Eurofighter by “informatica AZ” (whoever they may be) would have been better off launching only on Xbox. Less people noticing how bad it is lol. :joy:

The funny thing is that it isn’t even a matter of liking. Mathijs is simply describing an objectively visible situation and he judges by how much money each product makes his company.

It isn’t Aerosoft’s fault, or MSFS’s fault if P3D isn’t a popular product (which also means it won’t be popular among developers). Lockheed Martin did nothing to make it popular. They have basically done the exact opposite at every turn (terrible pricing policies, no marketing, etcetera). Maybe people should complain with them instead of blaming more popular sims and third-party developers who simply want to pay the bills.

2 Likes

Exactly … The embarrassed Pause and Blank Expressions when a question about “LDA Approches” was raised… said more than they could ever express in words !!!
“We will have to go an research that” … sums up some of the problems so well…

Let’s clear up a point that some seem not to understand. The job of a CEO of a studio of 200+ developers isn’t to know every single little aspect of a product.

Due to my job, I interviewed hundreds of people in Wlock’s position. “I’ll have to ask about that” is a very common answer, because micromanaging everything is not their role.

This is why sometimes you see some “blank expressions” and “embarrassed pauses.” Because some questions simply aren’t part of their role.

Neumann, Wlock, and Bossard are already MUCH, MUCH more knowledgeable about the more granular technical aspects of the product than 99% of the CEOs, heads of studios, and executive producers I’ve interviewed in 20+ years of career.

9 Likes

Agreed … and for a “Dog & Pony show”, it is what it is.

So, as well as this Top level Q&A sessions, if the true goal is to be “open and Honest”, maybe consider having some additional “TECHNICAL” Q&A sessions, where different aspects of the sim, can be discussed, in a similar Q&A manner,

Maybe a different lead Dev each time, from different area of the Sim, accompanied by CEO (or other), to help “Moderate” but able to answer the technical details, that are needed by so many 3rd part developers, that do not “ENJOY” the close, day-by-day direct communication with ASOBO that Aerosoft seem to be privy to, to get their questions answered and addressed with such high priority.

Even if the Questions were only coming from “Recognized” 3rd party developers, the !Q&A Video format of being able to ask some technical questions, and by doing so, just make it know that these are questions being asked because of a needs of 3rd party developers, would make things a lot more visible for all,

No questions like “Why can’t we have more elephants in Africa” or “Why can’t I fly to the Moon” … but more those multitude of question that need to be addressed, so that ALL 3rd party developers can get on, and start producing addon products, which has long be recognized as the Life Blood of any Flight Sim.

The questions asked are the most voted in the Q&A area of the forum.

If you want different questions asked and answered, maybe you should post them yourself and rally some support for them.

The AI communty wanted answers. They asked. They rallied support. And they got their questions answered in two livestreams in a row.

1 Like