More candid insight from Aerosoft's project manager on MSFS, the CRJ, the SDK and the add-on market

I would actually argue the opposite. Once they release it for Xbox they are gonna have an even bigger customer base so they can invest more.

4 Likes

Because Aerosoft is a business partner helping Asobo with the development of the SDK. It’s a special and deeper relationship that no other third party developer has. They have confirmed this multiple times, it’s a fact. Every other developer is a mere “consumer” of the SDK and the other developers don’t have the same level of access to Asobo as Aerosoft gets.

Okay when and where did they confirm this? And I know for example that PMDG has a very close relationship with them too.

2 Likes

Both Microsoft/Asobo and Aerosoft have discussed it multiple times.

Well that was before release. Now is a different time. But in the end we will see what happens so speculating about this is pretty pointless.

1 Like

I’m not speculating, this is something Microsoft and Asobo and Aerosoft have discussed more than once. Aerosoft is a partner in the development of the SDK and other developers are mere “consumers” of the SDK. Aerosoft gave the entire source code of the CRJ to Asobo as an example of a third party aircraft, to develop the SDK against, and Asobo has been helping them convert it. Other third party developers are not getting this level of support or interaction.

1 Like

This is a completely pointless discussion. While Aerosoft is indeed a development partner, you don’t know what kind of access other major devs have.

Even more than that, Aerosoft’s collaboration with Asobo helps everyone, as their expertise in helping create the SDK will make it develp faster and better than those of other sims, which launched even more a mess and took even longer to become decent.

7 Likes

New CRJ images from developer Hans Hartmann and Mathijs Kok.

image.png.b3a16cd5cbc0e76a41b427db90563e18 image.png.e4087b1d6736fe25ea4ae1de7e94624f

Mathijs Kok confirmed that the package will include CRJ 550 and CRJ 700, with 900 and 1000 after that, available via “cheap and easy updates.”

Devs are aware that the glare on the glass cockpit is too strong and they’re talking to Asobo to mitigate it.

More on the project and what MSFS’ engine enables from Mathijs. The two images mentioned are the last two smaller ones above.

" just had a talk with most people on the project and just like they are all working. From Ingo who is doing the step by step manuals, via Stefan who is doing liveries (list to follow soon) to Hans who is fighting some issues that only he understand. I am looking into marketing text and trying to plan a video etc. The whole team in working 7 days a week until this is done.

Check out this small image and see how the small openings of the probes have the correct size (and the probes the correct shape).

Also the text is super sharp. And that is with a very modest pixel resolution of the fuselage textures. Decals change everything we know about adding details. A 1K wing texture can have M4 screws with text on them.

The way MFS allows the modeler to give objects the correct characteristics and let the graphics engine handle how it will look is really something new that all modelers are now experimenting with. Look at this very small image:

You see hard plastic surfaces (the levers) that reflect diffuse light. The painted surfaces have a very soft reflection but the metal switch has a much more defined reflection. This is how a modern graphics engine can work. And it is almost all done on your graphics card so it is easy on your frames. Also note the fact Stefan put all screws slightly different so you do not get any repeating patterns. A labor of love I tell you. And this is not even completely done. "

Can only hope this doesn’t reach the “omg crunch in video game development is a crime against humanity” crowd at crap sites like Kotaku, Polygon & C lol.

Since I’m at it, bonus images of Brussels from developer Jo Erlend (who made the excellent Cologne/Bonn).

Mathijs confirmed it’s coming first to MSFS. A P3D version will follow for those who care.

16 Likes

The mythical Aerosoft EBBR, I have been literally waiting for 7 years.

It’s really all coming together nicely it seems.

1 Like

Yep. I can’t believe it was 2013 when they announced it lol (and the fact that it’s now coming first to MSFS sure makes some people mad haha :joy: )

1 Like

THIS. That was the point I was doing a poor job of explaining, and perhaps understanding. I presume most developers don’t need Asobo’s SDK for everything. Most of the truly deep, study-level aircraft are made with custom coding and components. That’s why it takes YEARS for that level of simulation to be released. Not multiple planes in a year using basic kits with shallow systems simulation.

Edit: @Abriael, that excerpt you shared helped.

2 Likes

@Abriael

Aerosoft Cologne/Bonn EDDK by Jo Erlend is truly a masterpiece. So much details and artifacts and VDGS gates! :heart: this airport add-on so much. Cologne is now my favorite airport.

Just bought ENVA and it’s also another awesome work by Jo Erlend.

Waiting with anticipation for other airport and aircraft launches by Aerosoft.

3 Likes

I absolutely love Cologne myself in no small part because besides this cursed year, I’ve flown there yearly for gamescom, so it brings back good memories.

2 Likes

Nice CRJ screenshots. :slight_smile:

Too bad that the flight dynamics will not be fully realistic since MSFS doesn’t simulate slats.

Not simulating slats in a 2020 sim is a major drawback in a modern flight sim.

That is your assumption, which isn’t necessarily true because the CRJ uses its own code.

Some simply can’t help themselves, I see.

2 Likes

That’s great news then. I didn’t know that Aerosoft uses external flight models.

If you want more insight, I suggest to go to the aerosoft forums and ask Mathijs Kok directly. He’s been very open about the CRJ, so I’m sure he’ll tell you if slats are simulated.

5 Likes

No need to. If you claim that Aerosoft uses external FDM design, I do believe you.

1 Like

It uses external code (as mentioned in the quote here), which is why I say it’s not safe to assume it doesn’t support something not natively support by MSFS, and Kok said that besides the ability to show charts on the pad it’s on par functionally with the P3D one so I’m guessing slats are simulated, but I can’t know 100%. Best way is to ask Mr. Kok.

1 Like

Ok, but P3D doesn’t simulate slats.

The point I’m trying to make is, that it’s IMO a major omission not to simulate slats in the core MSFS FDM.