Ms Sidewinder Force Feedback 2

Does the Sidewinder work in the Windows control panel. (Type joy.cpl at the command prompt)
If it’s set up and working in Windows then the next question - is it showing as a controller in FS?

In FS, if it is showing as a controller, you still need to map out (or bind) all the functions to the Sidewinder, as it doesn’t come standard with a default profile. It will not work until you do this.

I also use this ancient gem of input device. Legend has it that Indiana Jones was looking for the Holy Grail in an old crypt in the desert. Well, it’s actually the FFB2. At least, until someone finally makes a worthy replacement for it. I really don’t get why MS/ASXGS didn’t even include general FFB support. Yes, the FFB2 was taken from the shelves around 2003/2004 after MS dropped the Sidewinder line, and the only thing that came thereafter was the desaster from Logitech in 2009. Well, and Brunner. But who can afford it? And then it doesn’t even support every sim that uses FFB, like DCS (which is my main sim TBH) at all.

I literally was hoping for FS20 to support FFB and MS to do something about the lack of hardware as they seem to be the only ones who might actually be able to pull that off.

Well, I just had to map some controls and it works, just with the “default” non-dynamic spring. Using SimFFB for now to config and at least have a properly feeling trim there.
BTW I prefer to map my devices by myself. The first thing I did after switching to the Legacy sound trach was delete all bindings from my HOTAS controls… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’ve set my sensitivity for rudder & axis to -50 & it seems much better!

1 Like

I used to love the way the FFB worked for trim on the Sidewinder, pity I only have the base sidewinder now and sold all my other peripherals years ago when my interest waned. Wish I still them all… sigh. More money :no_mouth:

Hello. It’s an ABSURD that doesn’t automatically recognize the FF2. I have and use it for over 20 years, more than 3000 hours of use and it is 100%, it is very good and practical to use. In MSFS 2020 Throttle is impossible to use (X + and X- / only X doesn’t work ???), for this reason I didn’t even go ahead with the configuration. NOTE Z- for MS.

7 Likes

I just figured out the issue with the rudder deadzone - dont configure the rudder via the individual RUDDER LEFT (bound to Z-) and RUDDER RIGHT (bound to Z+).
Instead, use the RUDDER AXIS bound to Axis Z.
Still no force feedback tho and no clue how to set it up.

1 Like

I used the hat left and right to bind to QUICK VIEW LEFT and QUICK VIEW RIGHT respectively.
Still undecided what to bind hat up/down to.

Trim down (up Hat) and Trim Up (Down Hat) works well for me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Has anybody successfully setup the throttle? I don’t see the option to bind an axis to the throttle…

Yup.

1 Like

This should actually be Throttle axis not Throttle 1 Axis though.

1 Like

True, as Throttle 1 Axis will only work for single engines :slight_smile:
Works for me, as I am going to setup different profiles for various aircraft (as time allows!)

1 Like

I set all of the bottom on Force feedback and nothing works…

1 Like

Do you have more information than the official announcement on the FS Force website? Any ‘insider’ info? Would love to get FFB in MSF2020.
Cheers!

No, I am afraid not but it can’t be long before we get some force feedback from somewhere.

1 Like

Never lose hope :smiley:

1 Like

Thankyou all for the above help
Got my MS FF2 joystick working good now , just need to sort out the view hat switch then all is well in the world.
fantastic simulator ! just wish they had enabled a simple auto joystick config

3 Likes

I spend a good hour trying to map the stick, I opted for forget it, put it back in the closet an close the game, which probably end up getting uninstalled.

Mine works just fine, only had to reduce sensitivity a lot, I think I’m at -40%. No force feedback though.

Many thanks for sharing your settings. I configured the sensitivity to -50% etc but I find i can’t control the plane (a Cessna!) with this at all. Disappointing because it worked perfectly with FS X. Am I missing anything - is everyone else managing to use this joystick with FSFS 2020?