MSFS 2024 Compatibility

I am a software engineer too. I get that development costs money. I really do. I don’t mind paying for large updates at all. Call it DLC. Slap a price tag on it. Fine. I’ll pay. I just need to know the thousands I’ve spent on third party addons outside their mediocre store (sorry but it’s true), will continue to function.

As I see it there’s no reason they shouldn’t (assuming their devs still support them).

1 Like

And if that’s gonna end up being the case, then fine. I don’t mind. Though I’m sure many would argue a lot of this stuff was promised for 2020. Personally, as I’ve said I’m a software engie too, I do get that a lot of work may have gone into a lot of brand new features, e.g. if there is a very thought out built in career system. I’d pay extra for that, I don’t mind. But yea…we need all our addons to keep working.

As a small addendum to that last thought though. I’m a fervent capitalist myself, but within reason. Asobo/Microsoft has made and continue to make tons of money of MSFS 2020. It was VERY successful as far as flight sims go. And these new features, whilst big and potentially costly, I’d bet, are still a relatively small drop in the bucket (cost wise) for the likes of Microsoft. All this to say. I sure hope they don’t expect another £110 from me. The price better reflect the quantity and quality of the updates and take into account their now significantly large audience buying it.

Will Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 be a completely standalone sequel, or will it also be offered as a paid update for existing players?

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 is a standalone simulator and the next-generation sequel to Microsoft Flight Simulator that launched in 2020. Current aircraft and airports that are in Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), as well as virtually all Marketplace add-ons, will be supported in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024.

Edited the original, seems I jumped the gun. You’re right, I saw their reply to that now, but keep reading the thread :slight_smile:

Same here, I bought the PMDG outside the marketplace.

This “them and us” mentality has to stop.

2 Likes

I look forward to the evolution. I’d pay $89.95 just for a drop-down menu for control profiles!

3 Likes

:rofl: but seriously the pain is real and this is low-hanging fruit they refuse to pick

1 Like

This is welcome news

Why? With all due respect, different users have different needs, different expectations and different budgets with which to support this ongoing project.

Why would I compare an Xbox user with a gamepad flying Reno races with someone who has paid $10k to buy a full blown home cockpit or build a DIY one, all based on the publisher’s promises. I am neither, I am somewhere in the middle and I expect a stable sim.

Otherwise I’ll just go load Ace Combat 7 and have fun on my Xbox.

TBH I suspect we now know why the devs have been so quiet on many such things and I have the feeling many prayers are going to be answered next year. Development costs can be huge so if MS sees fit to charge for such improvments within a “new” sim it seems perfectly fair to me.

3 Likes

That’s a strange bit of logic. “Why enjoy something now when something better might come out later.” That’s like projecting FOMO into the future in order to not enjoy a hobby today. I’ll enjoy MSFS all the way up to MSFS 2024, and then I’ll enjoy that all the way up to the next new version. Why would I refuse to enjoy my hobby because it’ll get better later?

2 Likes

Kitten relocation is a flyable mission in MSFS 2024.

2 Likes

I think the keyword here is “invest” rather than “enjoy”. We can all keep enjoying 2020 as-is for the next 10 years. But keep investing in it, not so much after the latest news and until more details are shared.

I’m still struggling to grasp why it wouldn’t be worth investing in my favorite hobby. I now know that my addons will be supported, with the rare exception of devs like Wing42 who vanished into thin air and likely as a result won’t patch the 247D… but I’m pretty certain that any dev who is worth their salt will update, so anything I invest in now will still work in 2024. Again, maybe with a rare exception or two that are on the dev’s end, not Asobo’s. I can keep enjoying MSFS 2020 the way I have been, no change at all. When MSFS 2024 is out, I’ll buy that and potentially wait a bit for all of my hangar to port over if it requires a patch from the dev. Then I’ll continue on enjoying the new version. OR I could just keep on with 2020, if I wanted. Where’s the problem?

Agree with all of it.

My question is: will those updates by reliable publishers be ported for free to 2024? Or will they ask you to re-pay a minor or not so minor fee to have them enabled for the new title.

It will depend. So we’ll see what happens. Until such time, I’m starting a full lockdown on all my purchases.

There’s no keep investing about it, you said yourself you have not paid a penny into the MSFS marketplace

Not in the Marketplace. But I’ve bought hundreds of GBs from 3rd party sites.

1 Like

Good on you … and MS have profited how?