MSFS is 40 years old! How do you fell in love with this sim?

For me I fell in love with flying in 1981 when I was 11 and I took a trip from Sydney with my parents to the UK. Aircraft and flying fascinated me from that moment. In 1984 I saw the ad in Computes! Gazette magazine for the C64 version of SubLogic Flight Simulator 2 and begged for it for Christmas.

I thought the 1-2 frames per second graphics at the time was so exciting - I just wish I could show my 14 year old self what we have now! I have been flying sims ever since - pretty much every major one for the C64, Amiga and PC since those days. I also became a real-world private pilot in 1992 - even the sims from those days (I think I was on FS4 for PC) helped me with learning to fly and read flight instruments, understand the basics of aerodynamics and navigation etc.

Weā€™ve come so far in 40 years - Iā€™m flying VR and it still blows me away every time.

3 Likes

When I got this when I think I was about 4 years old. It was AWESOME!

Oh, and my parents also got me this Beaver addon when I was little too, loved to play with it in the bathtub :slight_smile:

After that, the first thing I got when I got my first computer in 1987, besides a Fortran compiler and the word processor that came with my Leading Edge XT, was F-15 Strike Eagle and Gunship, and, of course, it grew from thereā€¦

I had Flightsim 1, too, but used those more.

3 Likes

WOW. I want one for my boy thatā€™s 4 now! None on eBay at the moment so guessing theyā€™d be quite expensive now if they came up. He loves to pretend to use my Logitech stuff - probably heā€™ll break it one day and heā€™s probably clicked more buttons on it than I have - wearing it out lol

This one was sold for less than $500

Donā€™t know if you trust this site

I just searched for ā€œRemco Jet Cockpitā€ (I was six when it came out, Iā€™m sure thatā€™s the year I got it.).

Before I got into FS4, this gold was amazing fun! Sopwith!

How about those CGA graphics!? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I still have the original files for this one too, but itā€™s easily found online.

1 Like

My first Flight Sim game was Flight Sim 5. The only one I didnā€™t buy was FS2004.

1 Like

Same here!
And thanks to the popularity of MSFS, it is even included in many benchmarks now. So when Ryzen and Raptor lake launch, it will be a lot easier to choose the right processor.
I remember back in the day, when Twitch and YouTube have not been around, it was pretty hard to find the best hardware, and lots of digging around in forums, etcā€¦

To not remain completely off topic here:
I remember my dad had a 486DX computer back in the early 90s and it had Flight Simulator 5.0 installed. But the computer was used for accounting and I was not really allowed to use it much as a kid. It was not until FS2000 came along, and I finally had my own PC, that I became interested, and not before FS2002 with the introduction of virtual cockpits, that finally got me hooked.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.