My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

I suddenly had poor audio quality and then connection issues, turned out the connector at the headset had pulled out slightly so reseated it and taped the cable to the frame so any pull doesn’t act on the connector directly.

2 Likes

I have a G2, an Index and a Quest2. I think G2 is the best headset for this game.

Yes, you can play at Ultra on Quest2, but with a big sacrifice: an FOV crop (which is an Oculus software feature). I tried it and quickly decided that looking through a square window is not my thing.

With both headsets, you will end up with roughly the same clarity if you want absolute smoothness – even with the best hardware, neither headset can support full res, full FOV motion reprojection. However, with G2, you have the option to run non-reprojected 30fps at “Ultra” resolution. To me, that is a much more meaningful “Ultra” than most of the Ultra graphics settings.

When it comes to motion smoothing, Oculus ASW does not have the artifacts behind propellers, but it has a lot of them around the wings, which I found more annoying. (I think I finally understood what was the “wobbling” @CptLucky8 was talking about.)

At the end of the day, MSFS is pushing hardware boundaries even for non-VR. So there are going to be tradeoffs. It’s almost like a resource-management game itself; you have to spend some time to find the best mix of settings for your own taste.

4 Likes

Very well said, Thank you

i found massive improvements when switching from a rift s to reverb g2.
more clarity and more fps.
i guess msfs has been optimized to be used with wmr rather than occulus.
would struggle to get 25 fps with the rift s (render scaling in game 80 and SS 1.6-1.8).

now i run the reverb with 70% render scaling in open xr and 100% TAA in game and the cockpit is sharper and FPS are around 30-40.

using A320

1 Like

When we get to that point, we won’t need to have these long confusing discussions any more. Well, so long as with Ultra everything, we’re also getting good framerates.

1 Like

Just a small diversion from VR:

[OFFICIAL] Jan. 21st Dev Update Screenshot Challenge

Hi, very impressed by your work. So finaly if reprojection is 30 FPS, you set the G2 to 60 Hz in windows ?

1 Like

No. OpenXR v105 (preview) is now unlocking the WMR driver to re-project up to 3 frames (was 2 before).

1 Like

@dburne458, so to decode you, you mean in sim Render Scaling of 100 with TAA anti-aliasing, and OXR set on custom render scale of 70 with motion reprojection set on “Always on”? Did I get that right?

Thx…

@CptLucky8, wouldn’t you want your TAA settings to be whatever is closest to native regardless of what the SS setting is?

Not necessarily.

I usually first want my render resolution to be the closest to what my hardware can deliver per view (about 2K x 2K or 1.5K x 1.5K w/reproj). Then, I balance SS depending on whether I’d prefer more EFIS or more outside view legibility.

Please note when publishing my article I’ve been exploring nearly all combinations as well and the 3 above are the ratios I find giving the most in their respective goals and the constraints of the hardware I’m running on. Using TAA100 + SS(any suitable for the hardware) will not always give a better perf/pixel/quality result than TAA(x) + SS(y).

For example on the Index, it seems counter intuitive but for same perf, I find TAA100+SS78 good for EFIS but TAA60+SS220 nearly as good for EFIS but much better for outside. Yesterday I’ve tried pushing the Index even further on the same hardware, thanks to the new SteamVR 1.16.1 beta, and I must say running the Index at SS250 or SS300 (thus using TAA around 60/70 max) was giving me so nice a visual it was seriously competing with the G2 (even more so when you factor in the quality of the Index and the larger FOV). I know it sounds weird but despite the lower panel resolution, when pushing the Index at this level it was not much different in the end that my G2 in practice, because I can’t run the G2 at 100+100 (which is 3K x 3K).

1 Like

thank’s, just test now, and i confirm that you say is true.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope so! :grinning:

1 Like

You almost make me want to buy the index again, I sold mine a year ago for a pretty penny. I do remember that the god rays in high contrast situation were very disturbing for me in the cockpit. Do you have the same issues or is it something that was solved with the past year updates?

There is glare for sure and it is intrinsic to Fresnel lenses, and the G2 is superior in this area. But in practice in the simulator, I don’t find this too distracting. I believe I just got used to it or I instinctively avoid putting my head in a direction where it shows up without realizing. I just wish there would be some 3080 available so that I can try pushing it further, but in this case, I would be able to also push the G2 further… Nevertheless, I’ve just posted another take at the “G2 vs Index” question here:

PSA: Reverb G2 small sweet spots, observations and solutions - #71 by CptLucky8

Thanks Captain!

Just get a 3090, I think they are slightly easier to get. I’ll chip in, as a matter of fact I think a lot of users in this forum should! :slight_smile:

Seriously

1 Like

I have a 3080 for a month or so, and the performance in MSFS is terrible. Overclocked it’s almost at 3090 level. People with 3080 and 3090 compain of often a worse performance with G2 than 2000 series cards. So I don’t think there is any performance gain, maybe even some loss. Maybe it’s the Nvidia drivers, or maybe MSFS VR implementation, but something it not right… Because when compaing GTX 1660 to 3080 in 4K resolution in MSFS the difference is huge. When I could barely get 20-30 I’m getting 50 FPS. Too bad VR killed flat-screen gaming or simming for me. It’s just not the same after tasting VR.

1 Like

MY specs blow all of your guys out of the water, however I have a Nvidia card and so far MSFS does not play well with there cards. X plane is my choice as of right now until this Multi billion dollar company can figure it out.

@RomanDesign, it’s all brand new. I’m sure we’ll see those fixes and optimizations hitting our hard drives within a very short amount of time. In the meantime, I’m actually quite impressed with what I’m experiencing so far, especially with the helps from this thread.

No, I’m not getting 144fps, or 120, or 100, or even 60. Mostly I’m getting 30 that is so consistent it’s almost like it’s been locked in as a minimum and a maximum, though that is not the case. And I’m very happy with those 30. Sure, I’d like more, I mean more is always better, right? But I’ve learned I don’t need those insane frame rates in a flight sim in VR to have a very, very good experience.

And just look at it this way, if Nvidia does have problems right now, imagine how good things will be once they fix it? And I have absolute faith that they will!

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this guide! It has made this journey into VR so much more enjoyable.

I do have a question about the super sampling and render scale. I have both set to 70%, so wouldn’t that effectively be the same as setting SS at 100% and Render Scale at 50% or vice versa (since 70% of 70% is 49%)? If that is true (a big assumption), wouldn’t it be best to set SS at 100% and adjust the sim Render Scale as needed as you wouldn’t need to exit and restart the sim to make changes?

1 Like